TKR luvcats recovery box

Sounds like your visit went well. Company can be exhausting, but you seemed to have struck a nice balance.

And now you are in the countdown zone. I remember thinking that I had finally regained some mental clarity after the knee surgery and then it was time to do the shoulder and start being loopy all over again. LOL.

It is wonderful to look forward to the end result. Keep focused on your stamina. The main thing is the main thing.

Company was completely exhausting. Being the center of attention for 3 solid days was more than I was really up for. I'm so grateful that we were able to spend our time here. And it bodes well for the future.

Wednesday was another too busy day. I reported to the hospital at 7:30 to do the pre-op clinic for the next knee. There was a lot of getting up and sitting down and back and forth. Exhausting, but I am officially go for the next knee on September. Half of me is super excited to fix the second knee and moving forward. Half of me is dreading another 2 long months of sleeping flat on my back. It will all be worth it in the end.

Then I had PT. That's all going well. I'm at 0 for flex, so that's ideal. He thinks I'm close to 115 on flex. We'll do an official measurement on Monday, which will be the final PT for this round. My insurance covers 20 visits, so we've split that.

Now I need to get a move on in freezing more food for my next recovery. At least I have an idea of what to expect and how we'll handle things. I know every knee is different, but I'm much more comfortable revising a plan than going in blind.

There is one spot on my scar that got irritated. I've been protecting it with gauze and that helps, and I've been on antibiotics for a week to be sure it didn't develop into anything with my next surgery coming up. It's healing nicely. I think it will be right by Monday.

The past 2 nights I've gotten really good sleep. I feel like my body is finally getting back to its normal state, even though I know there is still a lot of healing to be done.

Good luck with the next one, I'm not really up to date with everything on the site but will watch for your updates.

You sound exhausted from the visit, yet nice and strong moving forward. That’s great.
My PKRs were 11 months apart because of the foot injury delay. The second seemed so much easier to deal with because of all the “knowns”. And, if I remember correctly, your second isn’t as damaged as the first, yes? Mine wasn’t either, so that also helps.
And sleep, blessed sleep. A key to stamina.

Last edited by a moderator:
You sure have a lot more courage than I do. I'm still chicken to have my other one done. Good for you for going ahead and getting it over with.

The second seemed so much easier to deal with because of all the “knowns”. And, if I remember correctly, your second isn’t as damaged as the first, yes?
I'm not at all freaked out about the coming surgery, so that's a huge relief. I expect it to be more difficult because I'm used to using my right leg for everything. So having the left out of commission wasn't anything new. I'm diligently teaching my left leg how to be in charge. I'm starting to fret just a bit about that. Which I shouldn't, I'm doing great and still have 2 weeks. Which doesn't seem like that much, but is huge in short-term healing.

I don't really know how my right compares to my left in terms of damage. I know the left went bad first, and became unreliable, so I stopped using it. A better response would have been to request some physical therapy and build strength. Live and learn. So my right leg is stronger, but it is more painful. How much of that is because it does all the work I don't know. I remember looking at both xrays and didn't know enough to gauge the difference. My surgeon asked me which one hurt more. I assume if one was significantly worse, he would have been more specific.

@sistersinhim I'm not sure it has anything to do with courage for me. I waited about 5 years past when my knees needed replacement. I was almost totally disabled. I started going to a salon to have my very long hair washed because I couldn't stand in the shower long enough to do a good job. Now that it's an option, I want my life back.

My husband and I refer to ourselves as 'bandaid rippers'. If it has to be done, do it now. Jump in the water, rip off the tape. Get it done and over with. I want to be on the other side, and the only way is through, so I'm getting on with it.

Today is 7 weeks. It's been several days since I've needed to ice or spend time with LD. Just normal elevating in a standard recliner has been enough.

I still can't sleep on my side. :boohoo:
The tremendous swelling of my whole leg has finally moved on, although I'm sure there will be on and off swelling around the knee based on my activity. I can wear my normal compression stockings, although it still gets more uncomfortable than usual after about half the day.
I finally feel that I've achieved equilibrium with basic systems and functions. I have a task list for the day and I woke up ready and able to get it done.

The two small spots on my incision that haven't quite sealed up look really good and should be healed by the end of the week.

Today is my last PT session for this knee. I probably should have cancelled it and saved the session for the next round. But if I cancel now, I still get docked, so I might as well go. I already have PT scheduled for the next knee with the same guy I've been seeing. I know that will go well.

I've begun regularly using the new knee for stairs. Up goes easy. Down is not as comfortable, but I have a 4 footed cane that I've started using to help and that makes me feel more secure. I'm already much more inclined to go up stairs as I feel I need to, rather than asking Beloved to fetch me things or just waiting until the end of the day. That is huge for me.

Today is a run to pick up what I need to make more ice packs. We had some attrition the last go round. Making your own is super cheap, so it's easy enough to just make a few more. Also stocking up on some household things to make it easier for Beloved while I can't drive.

I am so excited about knitting!!! I was right about my hands already having the muscle memory for tensioning, so it was just a matter of figuring out the right tension for the project. And learning the actual stitches. I worked on it on and off for 2 days and went from :gaah: to :nah: to :yahoo:. I have officially designated myself Not Terrible. I've now started my first novice project which will be a completely boring scarf just to practice the stitches, build up the muscles in my hands, and I expect I'll learn how to un-knit and fix dropped stitches. All the basics are very important. Having the patience to learn them properly was something I didn't get any good at until probably my mid 30s. Now it's pretty easy, especially as I don't have anything better to do!

Making your own is super cheap, so it's easy enough to just make a few more.
I made my own at first, but had an awful time with the bags sweating and getting my cover wet. I sure didn't want anything wet close to my knee! Have you had that problem and if so, what did you do to solve that problem?

Sounds like you are doing great and well prepared for this next surgery. Give yourself a big pat on the back for all that you have accomplished and for all of your preparations for this next go round!

I love your enthusiasm and straight forward approach. Knitting has definitely served me well. Here are a couple of terms you will learn: unknit is called tink (knit backwards). Taking many rows out by taking the knitting off the needles and ripping it out is called frogging (rip it, rip it said very fast) LOL!

@sistersinhim I do have plenty of sweating from the ice packs. But I always wrap them in a clean old towel before putting it on my knee, so the slight wetness is absorbed by the towel and was never near my knee. Even though it is slushy and not quite ice cold, it's still too cold for my skin without a layer of protection.

@Neesie I had heard about frogging. So far I only have one dropped stitch so I haven't needed it yet, but I know I will. I don't have a local knitter handy, so I'm very grateful for the number of youtube videos out there about beginning techniques. At the moment my biggest issue is tension. It's quite consistent, but coming from an embroidery background, I tend to make it a bit too snug. I have to work on teaching my fingers to go looser. Well, that's what the practice pieces are for after all.

Today is not an upbeat positive day. I did too much yesterday and something I did in PT annoyed a whole new group of muscles. It's overcast and still hot. Whinge.

Yesterday I did my final PT for this round. My flex tops out at about 113. Disappointing even though I know it will continue to improve with time and lack of aggravation. Still, everything is discouraging today.

I did get my outside errands done off my to do list. And I got 3 more meals prepped and in the freezer.

Perhaps a nap after the morning rush. I think that will help.

Today is not an upbeat positive day. I did too much yesterday and something I did in PT annoyed a whole new group of muscles. It's overcast and still hot. Whinge.

Yesterday I did my final PT for this round. My flex tops out at about 113. Disappointing even though I know it will continue to improve with time and lack of aggravation. Still, everything is discouraging today.

I did get my outside errands done off my to do list. And I got 3 more meals prepped and in the freezer.

Perhaps a nap after the morning rush. I think that will help.
Sorry you are feeling a bit down today! *hugs* Yes, a nap, and taking it a bit easier is a great idea for today as you recover from yesterday's PT. Doing too much can be so painful, and it is especially hard to be upbeat when you are feeling pain that wasn't there before. Plus, many of us feel "down in the dumps" now and then during recovery as Josephine pointed out in this bonesmart thread. You are so bright and so informed that I am sure you have already read it, but just thought I'd mention it anyway since for some of us it is hard to deal with stuff when pain is clouding the mind.

To me 113 sounds really good, and reasonable for most life activities; plus, as you pointed out, that will improve for sure as time passes.

Personally, I have had only 1 week of recovery but I must admit that if I had done my final PT I would be celebrating. I am not too happy with PT right now.

Last edited:
I can only dream of 113 flex, so for you to have that at a month and a half is great, IMHO. While being discouraged is part of the ups and downs of this recovery, know that you are doing well, and over time your knee will continue to improve. You have just about 2 weeks until the next stage of taking back your life commences, and after that you'll be on the recovery road again. Before you know it, you'll have recovery behind you and will be taking on the world once again! (I'm not sure, but maybe we need to send out warnings to the world that you're coming......:heehee:)

Last edited:

I wish I had 113 degrees of flex. I am at 95. A friend has been stuck at 95 degrees for years, yet he walks well, cross country skies, and rides his bike for many miles at a time. It beats the heck out of limping all the time.

113 is great for your stage. I’m sorry you’re disappointed with it.

Today is 5 weeks post surgery for me and I measured 113 at PT this morning. I’m thrilled with my recovery but my PT (who I like) frowned and said “oh I wish this was 115 - that would be so much better.” Really? Two more degrees? I think it’s so easy to get caught up in numbers that we overlook the good things that are happening. I can drive again, I’m only taking one opioid a day, I can lift my leg up when just 30 days ago my husband had to lift it for me! We’re all moving forward even though we wish it was faster... Oh, and best of all: I don’t have that awful bone on bone grinding pain. @luvcats, you’re such an inspiration. I hope you rest today and feel better tomorrow. :SUNsmile:

Really? Two more degrees?
I don’t believe this tool they use to measure is an accurate science. They just hold it up next to you. If she held it differently or a different person measured us, the number would vary.
I think it’s so easy to get caught up in numbers that we overlook the good things that are happening
I agree!

And numbers can be deceiving. I was always pushed to the most bend when measured :hairpulling: so my records show wonderful numbers. But those “wonderful numbers” were worthless at home because I wasn’t healed enough to have the function that those numbers implied.

I never took PT, so I never played their depressing numbers gain. It doesn't matter what the numbers say, it's what you can do! That's how I judged my recovery, not ROM.

113 at your stage of recovery is fantastic! You have no reason to be discouraged. It will get better, especially if you quit worrying about it. All of a sudden you'll notice that you can do something you couldn't do just a few weeks or maybe even days ago!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom