THR Superpath recovery what to expect

Is there a way to topically discuss things on the forum like leg length or using a walker instead of just seeing who happens upon my recovery thread?
That's what moderators and FAs are for. We monitor all over the forum all day and will keep your thread bumped to the top so that you get the answers you need.
What would you say is average time of needing walker?
There is no average time. Use the walker as long as you need it. Transition only when you feel confident and no longer limp.
And anyone out there had a shorter operated leg that over time you were able to stretch and lengthen your muscles?
Most new hippies feel there is a leg length difference (LLD). In most cases it is as you describe - muscles have atrophied over time and they just need to get working again. Ease into this the work slowly to rebuild the muscle tone. Remember this is not training - it's healing. The feeling of LLD usually just fade with time.

I’m finding my body wanting to walk. I do think that is all I need to do right now- get the new hip moving.
Yes. Yes. I just walked around the house. Short stints. Nothing too long.

My right leg felt shorter than my left before surgery and now still does after surgery.
I had LLD after op but my op leg felt way longer than right. It has subsided a lot after all the swelling is gone. No 'stretching' involved. Just time, healing and walking. My OS measured post-op x-rays at my 6 week check and said it looked like I have a 1/4inch difference, which is basically minimal. At 11 weeks I don't feel lopsided at all anymore. But different people have different results. You've gotta wait a while longer to really know that if there is a LLD permanently. Sorry but patience is the key in this recovery!

Re walker. There are VAST differences between countries, hospitals and individuals regarding your walking aides. I'm in UK and I only used walker for 2 days in hospital, was discharged with 2 lower arm crutches. I've since moved on to one and am slowly weaning off entirely. But others (many in US) have walker for X weeks and then move onto a cane. The main thing is to use whatever aides your clinical team gives till you aren't limping. It's false virtue to dump them at some arbitrary time and limp! Your body will tell you when to move from one to the other to none.

Go with the flow. I sense you are raring to go. There is no magic equation. We are all unique. I don't want you to feel a failure because you hold yourself to some 'ideal' recovery timeline. :boohoo:

It's great to hear you're doing so well. Have you found the recliner to be helpful and comfortable?

Others have already addressed some of your questions, but here are a few additional thoughts:

she advised that anything that hurts a few hours later or causes swelling is too much.
Your therapist must be a graduate of the BoneSmart School of Therapy! :heehee: This is our philosophy to a "T."

Common sense and knowing your body I suppose!
Listening to your body and using common sense is always a good approach to a successful recovery. You are already starting to sense that you need to do some walking to get things moving. The trick is to listen carefully enough so you know when to stop. If if you don't and overdo things (we all join the Over Did It Club (ODIC) at times), that's your cue to take some extra down time, rest, ice, treat any pain and try again in a few days.

My right leg felt shorter than my left before surgery and now still does after surgery. I am hoping this is because for so long I basically walked on my left and that the muscles are so weak, tight and shrunk on my right that over time I will straighten out and have less leg length discrepancy.
The leg discrepancy feelings you're having are very common. As you read in the article about leg length discrepancy the culprit isn't usually muscles (although they can become shortened as your hip deteriorates), it's a tilted pelvis. The body has an amazing ability to compensate when parts do not work well and that is what has happened over time with your hip bones. When you are instantly put back into normal position, it makes sense that it wouldn't feel quite right for a while until your body readjusts itself. There is no timetable for this normalization process, but it will come with time. Walking helps with this as well.

I absolutely need the walker to walk since my right is so weak still.
Here's a good key to when you are ready to leave the walker behind: If you try walking without it and you have any limp at all, it's too soon. It's always bad to try and hurry this process up and allow yourself to walk with a limp. That tends to teach your body bad habits that you then have to unlearn to achieve proper gait. Plus it takes a ton of energy to walk poorly! You'll wear yourself out faster and could even cause other joints to hurt needlessly. It's much better not to look at your walker as nothing more than a aid to your good recovery. Using it for a little extra support will allow you to take the long strides you want and to concentrate on the proper heel-roll-to-toe gait that is your goal. As you walk with the walker, consciously try at times to extend your stride as much as you can do comfortably.

Is there a way to topically discuss things on the forum like leg length or using a walker
Jaycey is right that there will always be a few of our staff cruising around the forum's new posts no matter what time of day or night. But, we are planning in the next year or so to provide easier means for members to discuss topics among themselves. So your suggestion is right on target.

Keep up the great recovery. You're on your way to reclaiming your life again with a new hip.

You're at day 6, the cart goes in the back of the horse. Slow you're roll you're worried about things you should think about around week 6. The walker will eventually go away when you feel confident using a cane or walking stick. That too will go away over time. I do know that if you overdo it you will have setbacks and pain.

Awesome- thx for the input. It’s reassuring. It’s tough because everyone seems to talk about a longer operated leg and mine is shorter so that makes me very nervous- I wish someone with a shorter operated on leg would chime in! But for sure my pelvis is all tilted weird and has been for a long time. So I’m heeding the advice and slowly slowly walking very intentionally with the walker to retrain my body. The recliner is extremely helpful when I go downstairs to get in and out of easily and hang out in. 7 days post op and each day I’m stronger and able to do a bit more. The real test is going to be wed through Friday when my husband is gone. I’ll have childcare here and my mother in law but I’m nervous. There are going to be stretches of time when I’ll have to do most of the work with the kiddos. And let me tell you, my 20 month old is Trouble. He steals my walker, he dumps my water all over the floor and himself and runs on the couch - all with a big smile and twinkle in his eye. I’ve asked my MIL to stay for an extra week so she’ll be here for 2 more weeks. Just trying to remain patient... not at all my best trait

That little 20 month old sounds adorable, but will be difficult to handle with you being so soon after surgery.! I'm sorry but I did get a giggle out of imagining him with that twinkle in his eye. :roseshwr:

As for LLD, my first hip felt a little too long and it diminished after 6 weeks or so. My current hip felt like it was perfect initially, but now I seem to imagine that it's shorter.. the muscles around my new hip are still tight and inflamed and I don't think they are letting the hip/leg relax into it's proper position. I also have had the weakness in my gluteal muscles and lower back, which caused me to bend to the same side as the new hip when not using my cane support. It's improving, now at 7 weeks. The main focus is to walk correctly and use whatever support is needed to stand tall and walk with that new hip with the recommended heel toe gait.
It doesn't matter if someone needs their walker for a longer period of time-- or in the next stage-- needs the cane for longer periods.
I also have noticed that I don't feel any LLD in early part of day, I mainly feel it later on when I'm tired. Have you noticed that it varies during the day? Or maybe it's too soon for you to tell yet.

Hell on Wheels, literally! I'm imagining the little stinker tearing around the house with your walker :rotfl:
I so love little boys! I had one of each and while I love my grown children equally, boys are so fun and so much easier, less whiny for sure, at least in my experience.

When you mention "stretches of time" you'll be without help, hopefully it's not too long because that could be overwhelming with the 18 mo old as they don't always take direction very well. I would imagine your five year old could be of great assistance with little bro as they like to help out, and when in the mood, aim to please. Just don't let the inmates run the prison, lol. I'll look forward to future installments as the littlest little sounds very entertaining. :heehee: A great day to you! :SUNsmile:
@CLS

Interesting discussion re: LLD. I, too, at times feel like my op leg is a bit shorter--but not all the time. Your theory about why that might be makes a lot of sense @CricketHip. After the previous hip, it felt like my op leg was longer--enough so that I felt like I lurched when I walked and eventually, w the blessing of a PA in the OS office, started wearing a slight lift in my non-op leg shoe.

Ha! Thanks for the replies- yes my littlest is absolutely adorable and one of the main reasons I did this surgery- so I could catch him when needed! The LLD is strange. It seems to be most noticeable when I first stand up and makes it nearly impossible to stand in one place. It does seem to improve as I walk with a walker intentionally toe heel. I ran across a website which seems very comprehensive about correcting pelvic tilt. It’s posturedirect.com. Worth googling. Will try this once I’m healed!

Last edited:
Normally we don't allow links that take our members offsite to other locations on the web, but the site you posted is so very comprehensive and only has a minimal mention of the person's Facebook page, I think it could be helpful to a lot of people. There are a number of great exercises there for people once the healing part of recovery is complete. Heck, as I was reading it, it made me sit up straight in my chair! I need to keep reading it. Thanks for the link.

Jamie- I went ahead and deleted the link- don’t want to go against rules but I agree- I feel like the site is super comprehensive and helpful- maybe something to share with others. I mentioned it to Mark this morning. I’ll ask him if he wants to do anything with it or contact the guy who has the site.

:hi: @CLS
I'm two years post op from bilateral and have done splendidly but have had a few nagging issues with the right side...mostly SI and a few problems with strain on right leg.
I just began some PT wherein the therapist mentioned tight hip flexors causing a slight LLD on right side.
Stretches and easy does it exercises are working this out .
Tightness is a for sure result of the trauma and swelling from this surgery. And as you say, all the time soldiering on with a bad gait and compensating for that bad hip causes issues also.
Likely this will all resolve as you progress in your recovery, and mindful short walks often - totally understand the urge to move - will be just fine!
Just try to relax and try not to worry.
All Temporary!
I think you are doing splendidly.:ok:
And super kudos with dealing with this with the babes undertow.
You WILL get there and be glad you did this.
Healing hugs...:loveshwr:

Hello @CLS - You seem to be doing great! God help you with 2 little ones to care for during your recovery! Good Luck!

About LLD. A Leg length Discrepancy (LLD) can be determined by a qualified doctor, therapist, etc, who can verify a difference with a tape measurer. If one leg is shorter, it will NOT get longer with time regardless of how it feels. If one leg is shorter, your pelvis will slant downward (from horizontal) toward the shorter leg. When the pelvis slants from horizontal, the base of you spine slants from vertical by the same angle. Time will NOT fix this. do yourself a favor and get your legs measured.

My LLD (last operated leg was shorter) was 3/4" (2 cm). I now have my right shoe soles modified by a shoe repair guy who slices the shoe sole in half and inserts a 3/4" rubber piece (glued and trimmed) so my walking gate is now level instead of the 'Up-Down, Up-Down' gate before the shoe modification. I'm grateful and hope you find out if your LLD is real and fix the problem if it is.

Cheers!

Hi and welcome CLS!
I had knee clicking my first week post op
And for the first week I swore I could feel that prosthesis in my femur, not pain at all just like something new was added.
I asked my OS and he told me the knee clicking was normal as the leg adjusts and realigns--it has since gone away.
When I said I could feel the prosthesis he said yes you probably can. I can't tell it's there anymore. Just be prepared for all kinds of odd feelings as you recover that are normal. What I did at my 2 week visit was ask what is not normal, what warrants a call, and anything else just consider it healing/ recovering.
At 3 plus months out I still have lateral muscle stiffness starting out and some aching but it gets better every day!
Visit often and good luck:)

Jamie- I went ahead and deleted the link- don’t want to go against rules but I agree- I feel like the site is super comprehensive and helpful- maybe something to share with others. I mentioned it to Mark this morning. I’ll ask him if he wants to do anything with it or contact the guy who has the site.
Maybe he can look into it in his spare time :rotfl:. (a little humor there) Once he takes a look, he may decide we can bend the rules this time. That's what I thought.

Great information about posture @CLS
I have been really working on this lately. The pelvis is very interesting to read how much it impacts perceived LLD. Mine was the opposite, operated longer, long story hip fracture. But, it has worked it’s way out. Not even something I had to work on, just body wanting to be level.

Best of luck to you recovering with two little ones. Smart to keep researching and understand best practices. We do control the largest part of recovery. From knowing when to rest, stretch and nudge healing. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

The pelvis is very interesting to read how much it impacts perceived LLD. Mine was the opposite, operated longer, long story hip fracture. But, it has worked it’s way out. Not even something I had to work on, just body wanting to be level.
This is so true. I had a massage yesterday and she came to my house this time. I hopped up on the massage bed and laid down waiting for her to start. We’re friends and I’ve been seeing her for years. Usually she asks me if I think I’m laying straight and I and say yes, look down, and see how crooked I am. This time I said yes and she said you sure are. Since my second hip surgery my legs and pelvis finally feel level. My left leg was always slightly shorter and after it’s THR it felt longer. But now all seems right. Since the right THR my lower back has completely stopped aching and I’m able to comfortably sleep on my back. These are unexpected benefits. It takes time and see how it works out after you’re healed. @CLS

@CLS....How are you doing? Us curious BoneSmarties want to know how you're coping with those two boys and a new hip.

Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope all is going well in your recovery.
Leave us an update next time you're on the forum and have a minute away from chasing two toddlers, lol.
We'd love to hear from you. Wishing you all the best as you continue your healing journey!
@CLS

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member