TKR luvcats recovery box

@Poctdb elsewhere you said "I can’t imagine you as “not my clever self.” Funny story. In the hospital one of the nurses was asking me questions and I kept looking at my husband to answer them. I was chatty, but didn't give any real information. I finally told one of them "I know I sound lucid, but I'm not really here. This is just a very sophisticated chat bot." I think she had to go lie down.

That was a funny story about you talking in the hospital. Loved your response about being a chat bot, hilarious. I don’t thing I was lucid enough to be that sharp. Good for you!

Your seated elliptical sounds so nice. You’re getting some good leg motion with that. I only have an exercise bike so I’m waiting a little longer before I hop on it.

Thanks for keeping in touch, Susie

@susie2f Being a Smart Aleck is a matter of habit and training. By this point in my life, things just come out of my mouth. Or through my fingers. lol

I adore the seated elliptical. When my surgeon originally suggested I improve my ROM before surgery he suggested a bike, so I went to the Rec center and investigated. I couldn't even get on to the upright bikes, and the recumbent they had required too much force to move and the action wasn't smooth, so it hurt a lot. Fortunately an employee noticed me and came over to help. The elliptical was always my favorite machine before my knees went, so I was excited. It was just the thing. I think it took me 6 visits before I could get it to go all the way around. Now I'm looking forward to the day I can get back to the standing version.

Last edited by a moderator:
@luvcats
Anesthetic story.
I came to the floor at 1038 according to the computer. By 1145, Social work and the patient advocates had already been in. OT and PT were last at about noon. I am alone...I.E: they can only talk to me.

They said”We need to get you into the chair.” Ok, I popped right out of bed and into the chair. No help, they were grabbing for me the whole time. They started in about “You will have to attend a class about ADL or you can watch it on channel 11.1.” One of them turned to the other and said “She won’t remember any of this.”
I proceeded to repeat the entire conversation back verbatim.

The nurse came in later and said”Boy did you surprise them. They are telling us all about the patient who remembers everything post anesthesia.”
Yesterday, someone sent me a picture that they had taken of me in the hospital bed.... I did not remember her taking it....later that same day....hmmmmmm...

@luvcats you sound so great! Sorry I have not been commenting for a while. I use the seated recumbent elliptical machine at PT as well. I never knew there was such a thing. Pretty cool!

Did anyone answer your questions about nutrition? I am no expert on nutrition (although I was a dietitian years ago), but I was following a macro diet before surgery to lose weight (lost 30 pounds!) and am still doing the diet with a coach but in maintenance now. I can tell you that in the early days post surgery, my coach did not up my calories fast enough and I ended up fainting a week after surgery - probably food but also fluid related. Anyway, I went from about 1700 calories to 2500 calories and stayed there for the first 5-6 weeks post surgery and never gained a pound. I am now taking in about 2000 calories, with protein at 130 gms/day and still not gaining. I think I will eventually be at about 1800 calories, but for now, my body is still needing a bit more fuel. Hope that helps.

Again, glad to catch up on your posts, you sound very upbeat. Yay!

@luvcats - I like your idea of taking up knitting. My Nana knitted me a crochet blanket when I was a teenager. To this day, I take this blanket everywhere to include deployments overseas. I took it to the hospital and had it in my hospital bed after knee surgery. Unfortunately, my Nana passed not several years after she knitted my blanket. I know it is weird, but when I have this blanket close to me I feel safe - like she is watching over me.

I plan to knit my kids some blankets once I learn how. I will be interested in your projects as you start knitting!!!

@Poctdb Sounds like you had a sophisticated chat bot going too! lol

@LaxMom I never did get any definitive answers. Mostly 'eat if you're hungry' which, as a significantly obese person, is not very useful. We have been doing Weight Watchers for almost a year and I've lost very well, but obviously you don't want to restrict too much during healing. I had to just punt. For the first two weeks, I just ate 'whatever' from the choices in the house, which were limited to sensible foods and a very few kinds of carefully planned treats. No refined sugar for the week before and the week after surgery because all the research shows it's terrible for your immune system. The third week I was starving constantly, so I kept eating. At week 4 I started trying to tug things back to my usual plan, and now I'm back to following the usual guidelines. It's hard to know where the balance is between 'enough to heal well' and 'gaining weight back'. WW current iteration doesn't limit proteins so I'm not worried on that front.

@FitGal I don't think it's weird at all that your Nana's blanket makes you feel safe. Knitting is not fast, and every minute her hands were creating that blanket, she was filling it with love for you. That's why homemade gifts matter so much. Have you made a plan for learning? Do you know about Ravelry? It's a huge online community for stitchers of various sorts, particularly knitting and crochet.

Did you know there are two styles of knitting? American and Continental. My friends are all fans of Continental style. If you YouTube starter videos, you should probably specify to figure out which style you want to learn. Do you have an local knitting friends?

A friend out of state helped me put together a small order of a set of needles properly sized, a scarf pattern, and enough yarn to assemble 2 scarves as starter projects. I'm so spoiled by amazon. They are taking to long!!! My package probably won't be here until next week.

It's been a busy week!
Tuesday was a long day. I had a lovely breakfast out with a friend. It was really great to talk to someone about all sorts of things having nothing to do with my knee!!
I had my first follow up with my surgeon, except it was actually his PA. He has a very practiced spiel. I can tell he does the follow ups all day. lol. I got a handout that told me a lot of things I knew, but it was good for Beloved to read. He likes the healing. No pool for at least another week as I still have one open spot. He said my range of motion is spot on so keep doing what I'm doing. I follow up on this knee in 3 months.

Later that evening I went to our weekly diet group meeting. It's pleasant and not demanding.
And then I didn't sleep. That was waaaay too much activity.

Wednesday was PT. I'm really happy with my guy. He listens very well and he helps me figure out work arounds for the old knee. We aren't really working on ROM any more. It's careful strength building for the quads and hamstrings. I do as much stair practice as the old knee will allow. I've graduate from a half step to one that is normal height for stairs. I think my stairs at home are a bit higher, but it's going very well.

I can now one foot a flight of stairs with the new knee!!! 1st goal achieved! Up anyway. Still working carefully on down. I'm assured that's often the last to come back, but I should have plenty of time.

Yesterday I was sore and tired so I spent a long morning in bed with LD. My recliner just doesn't elevate high enough, even with extra pillows.

The bad news is, the friend who I saw for breakfast was a plague carrier. The morning after I saw her, her littlest turned up with a cold. Which I am now fighting. I am not amused. I'd say no more social outings for me until after the next surgery, except I can't.

On Sunday my parents arrive from overseas. I'm going to have visitors for 3 days. Which would be fine, except my dad is horrifically allergic to my cats. Here's hoping his new meds are as good as he thinks and he can handle being in my house. The living room is clean and freshly dusted and the cats mostly aren't allowed in there anyway. Fingers crossed they don't exhaust me, or bring me fun and interesting international germs.

Well, perhaps the meds won’t work and they’ll go to a hotel? Just kidding. Probably what the cats are hoping for.

Enjoy their visit.

Stay germ free.

You have really been busy! And germs sneaking in! Feel better fast!
I too had trouble sleeping and ended up taking tramadol last night for restless legs, restless body syndrome. It worked well but afternoon appointments wore me out. Good to be home. I cannot imagine company for three days :sad: since it’s just me and husband but thankfully it’s family and your mom especially will most likely help out and give you a break..

Last edited:
@luvcats - I haven't even begun to try to learn knitting yet - BUT - it is on my "to do" list since I need to get those blankets done for my kids. Thanks for the ideas!!!

That is so nice your parents are coming in for a while. Hoping it all goes well with the cats and all!

I should have clarified.

"Parents" is actually my dad and my step mother, who is stepmother #3. She's a lovely person, I'm quite fond of her, and she absolutely never, ever stops talking. lol

When they come to visit, they always stay in a hotel because of the cats. They get a room that has a seating area so we can spend time there. It the past, every visit has been a complicated game of "keep away" where we avoid ever going to my house, which makes having a relaxing day of just catching up a little more complicated. It was really annoying last visit because my knees were so bad, but this visit could be worse, because I have zero stamina. I'm not up for a museum or something, even if I were in a wheel chair. Even hanging around in a local coffee shop or lingering at restaurants is problematic because I'm only good for about 2 hours of foot-on-the-floor before my knee starts giving me what-for. If his meds work and we can hang out in my living room, that would be a huge help. I can put a puzzle on the dining table, we could watch a movie, we have access to a lot more, better options for just hanging out. And frankly, my couch is much more comfortable than the sofa in their hotel room.

But. Obviously a visit would be even more thoroughly ruined by my dad winding up in the hospital than it will by me overdoing and being cranky and in pain. Fingers crossed all around please.

In other news, I seem to have vanquished the germs and no longer feel like a cold is just waiting to attack.

This week was entirely too busy. It feels a little pathetic, because it doesn't feel like I did much at all, but my knee believes otherwise. Since I used to exercise 5 days a week on top of my usual day, I think I discount how much work I'm really doing with PT. I'll need to cut out any purely social outings I guess. At least once the visit is over. Just the things I need to do for ADL plus PT is more than enough for now.

sigh. Back to being bored.

I

I can now one foot a flight of stairs with the new knee!!! 1st goal achieved! Up anyway. Still working carefully on down. I'm assured that's often the last to come back, but I should have plenty of time.
Very true.
The bad news is, the friend who I saw for breakfast was a plague carrier. The morning after I saw her, her littlest turned up with a cold. Which I am now fighting. I am not amused. I'd say no more social outings for me until after the next surgery, except I can't.
I hate that. I have a friend who won't stay home when she's got a cold. :(

On Sunday my parents arrive from overseas. I'm going to have visitors for 3 days. Which would be fine, except my dad is horrifically allergic to my cats. Here's hoping his new meds are as good as he thinks and he can handle being in my house. The living room is clean and freshly dusted and the cats mostly aren't allowed in there anyway.
That should help. I see you mention in another post that they stay in a hotel to avoid the allergens. The visit will be a bit inconvenient (for icing and elevating) but just be creative in looking after yourself.
One of my biggest ODIC moments in my first recovery was when a friend visited me for a couple of hours and I spent the whole time with my leg down. :oyvey:

I hope the visit is going well! Hey - I noticed you are in Northern Virginia...my old stomping grounds. I lived in a subdivision called Mantua in Fairfax. Are you near there? When you mentioned restaurants in your post - I couldn't stop thinking about my absolute favorite restaurant - Sweetwater Tavern. Have you heard of it? Yum, so good!!!

@kneeper I really hate when sick people won't stay home and keep their germs to themselves. Although in my friends defense, she had no idea her kid was going to turn up sick, and if I weren't in recovery I probably would have brushed those germs right off.

@FitGal Google maps says I'm about 30 minutes from Mantua. I've never heard of Sweetwater Tavern, but I'll put it on the list to check out when I'm more mobile. I live in Alexandria but not Old Town.

Thanks for all the support. The family visit is going much better than expected. My dad has been able to tolerate my house with the help of Better Living Through Chemistry. Allergy meds are a wonderful thing. That has helped a lot, letting me spend most of the time with my leg propped up on my own comfortable house in my comfortable surroundings. A few errands have been pleasant to get out just a little. Mostly my issues now are that my body is rebelling against eating out so many times in a row even though I pick the restaurants carefully. I usually eat very simply now. But that will pass easily.

My other issue is, just being around someone and being 'on' for now the 3rd day is actually exhausting. I wish it was a day for a book by myself. That will have to wait for Thursday.

Somehow I am now exactly 3 weeks from my next replacement. Tomorrow I hit the hospital at 7 to get all my next set of preliminary labs done. Wish me luck.

3 weeks. I need to get my prep list out and see what I need to have ready... More meals to be frozen is definitely one.

I so admire your determination! And I’m so grateful that you are sharing your story. Just knowing there are others experiencing the same things I am is a priceless gift.

I love knitting. At times it becomes a form of meditation for me. Of course there are also times a project that’s not behaving gets thrown across the room. My husband is now excellent at fetching.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft