Revision THR 55 male cyclist 2019 October Revision THR

Hey CricketHip! I did ride a bike I was fixing for a neighbor up and down the block:loll:, but not a ride per se. I think I could probably go for decent ride, but I'm following Dr. to wait until July29. I've been upping my time and resistance on the SPIN bike and so far so good. I will say I had some pretty advanced PT on Wed. and came home sore...ICE + ELEVATION and IB works!!! I feel only slightly better than week 2, but progress no less. How are you getting on?

Soooo, I knew it! I could feel the vibes of Corey W on a bike!! :snork: How was the balancing part of starting off? That would be my concern.. and possibly dismounting.
But advanced PT sure makes me nervous for you, goodness, you really don't want to end up with some nagging tendonitis.. it's such a bear to get resolved.. but I'm sure you've read all of the Bonesmart guidelines so won't nag at you. :no-fin: yet!!
I am doing really well. This is my second THR and I will admit the it's a little tougher than the first one from 4 years ago- mostly soft tissue related. I'm walking 75% of my day without a cane, I tend to use it first thing in the morning and last thing at night. I"m not on a bike or doing PT but have visited the ODIC (over did it club) a few times already and so far have bounced back.
I see where you mentioned when the other hip starts to go you will be right on it and I so agree with that. No sense in delaying the inevitable.

I used to be an avid runner-- having to give that up was one of the hardest things I've had to do.. so I really do understand your craving to be back on your bike and in good form. The end of July is almost here!!
:bicycle1:

4 weeks today! Each day gets a little bit better. I'm on vacation in Marin, CA and the past 2 days have used my uncles e-bike. 6 miles day 1 then 10.5 miles yesterday. The electric function really allows for smooth push offs and low resistance on climbs. I probably would not be great on a real bike honestly. As far as PT goes, I've basically scraped the plan. I do plank holds which are helping my quads and core build back up and some push-ups all without pain. lots of walking but the steep hills do kinda bother me. I've really been holding back and listening to my body. Plenty of ICE/ELEVATION intervals during the day and i'm reducing the IB to 3 200mg every 5-6 hours. I was cleared to swim last week (fast healing skin) and have been in the pool which feels therapeutic. All in all I feel fortunate to have such a quick recovery. I think one of the biggest reasons for this is because I rode my bike vigorously and did Pre OP PT until the day before surgery without pain (couldn't walk tho). I have come to terms that my running days are over (marathon 2017) and while bittersweet I'll be OK on a bike :). I know at times I am pushing the envelope but everybody heals differently. I'll keep this post updated to let future riders with hip replacement concerns hear my recovery. So far I have zero regrets and I dont miss the bone on bone OA a bit!

5 week update...progressed to riding outdoors without issue. Each day feeling better than the last. The knee pain from surgery disappeared and only feel slight pain at the cup and stem entry point mid thigh. I have stayed on the paved or gravel trails only and kept my rpm high in lower gears. I traded my clipped pedals for some dirt platforms which were recommended by some other riders with thr for quick exits. started at 4 miles Monday and worked up to 12 today at 14mph. I am a very seasoned mountain biker with better than average bike skills and would not recommend others to do this. I stretch, elevate, use compression, and ice daily. My progress has surprised me and I continue to listen to my body and keep moving. Wishing all others for this type of outcome.

Hello and Happy Friday!
You're doing amazingly well. Just as you mentioned, don't try this at home, kids. :bicycle2:
"Seasoned" helps for sure. Stay safe and enjoy!
:bicycle1:
@Corey W

Happy to hear you are doing well.
Amazing!

Hi @Corey W, I am also an avid cyclist who has had both hips replaced. (I had mine done at the same time.) I am riding my bike every day, and loving it. We have a lot of excellent trails here in Santa Clarita, and I also ride along the beach in Santa Monica and Venice. I can't remember when I started riding after the surgery. It's on my thread somewhere. My surgeon recommended the bike over dancing. (I used to dance professionally.) I do that, walk, hike, and practice yoga. Glad to hear that the surgery went so well for you. I was cautious about how much I did for the first year because I used to really overexercise. It's all paid off. I wish you the best with this hip and your next one...

@Corey W You sound MaH-velous! Congrats to getting back on your bike, you are taking it slowly (for your skill set) and I bet you are grinning from ear to ear while cruising along.
I like it when you update, it will give many hippies hope.

6 weeks today and cleared by my surgeon to resume riding 2 days ago. I rode 75 miles last week (22 miles was my longest) and was able to lay down some decent power. Most of my pain is faded, but still feel the areas the bone has been modified. My cardio is a building back and I've been focusing on staying on the bike. I ordered some Zoic hip padded liners and will try some singletrack next week. So far I've had no setbacks and I keep moving forward. I have not used any ice or pain medication this week but will if I feel any real pain. I believe that cycling may be the perfect recovery tool for this surgery and I recommend anyone to ride a stationary cycle at no/low resistance if you can pain free to get you back fast. Ride On Hipsters!

:wowspring:and :wow: Seventy Five miles last week. That's amazing. Happy to hear you'll use pain reliever and ice if necessary.

Happy Six Week Anniversary!
Enjoy and stay safe.
@Corey W

Hey @Corey W I checked your rides out on Strava. 226 watts ave - 6 weeks post op is insane. You must be one seriously competitive dude. kudos!

@Harryn1 I don't know how accurate iphone strava watts are, but I will say i was passing people on that ride. Im not far off my pre Op speeds. Based on your Strava stats you are a serious rider too bro! Glad to know other hipsters can ride without issue after THR....If I ever get to South Africa we'll have to ride!

My surgeon's asst. recommended the bike. I just rode ten miles at the beach yesterday. I remember not being able to get on my bike anymore before having THR surgery. I thought I'd never ride again.

It's such a great way to work your heart, be outside, and stay happy.

7 weeks and no setbacks. I rode 144 miles last week, but the 18 miles of singletrack were my favorite. I decided to go back to the spd pedals but I did wear my new zoic hip pads (thunder thighs) in case I went down. I rode with focus and slightly slower than my usual but its safe to say I'm bicycle recovered. That said walking still isn't perfect, but improving everyday. Ive been taking 2 Aleve a day and getting great sleep. I can't believe how fast this recovery has been and I feel lucky and blessed. I hope to encourage others who are not sure about THR to move forward. I'm really glad I did!

BTW my OS is Dr. Brian Schwartz IBJI-Libertyville IL and he is outstanding!

I also enjoy bike riding, not the mile you do but a few years ago, I was riding several time a week. So I’m excited to be doing the stationary bike again, went shopping for a bike yesterday, it was fun, I will be thrilled to go cruising on this bike path that’s by my house. Your mileage is impressive.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88