TKR Snowdrop’s Second Knee Adventure

So glad to hear that, Snowdrop. I'm not driving yet and really feel the cabin fever at times!

@floridoris , I guess that’s one perk of getting the left knee done! I remember with my right knee, it was “forever” before I could drive. I understand your cabin fever!! Hang in there...it WILL happen soon!

I'm so glad you've crossed another milestone and can drive again! It does make a huge difference just to get out of the house and see something, anything! new.

I'm finding movies a little less vapid than TV. Last weekend we did an 80s movie marathon and that was exactly what I needed. I think we're going to do another tomorrow.

Hi, just read your thread and seems you are having a good recovery! We are almost surgery buddies, as I had my revision on 17th June. Well done with your driving and ADLs, I'm going to try driving in the next few days, which I think makes a huge difference, even if you don't go far, you are 'free'!

@tabbykit , how did the driving go? I remember with my first tkr, which was the right knee, it took forever to get behind the wheel again. But oh, how wonderful it was when I did! Driving came much more quickly with my left tkr, mainly because the driving is done with the right leg here in Canada. Perhaps you found it easier with your left leg over there?

@luvcats , are you driving yet? I am still bored any sort of screen time. But now that I can move about more freely, I am able to spend more time in the kitchen cooking, which I love to do. Summer is so full of delicious foods...I love to can and freeze and bake!

Yes, I'm driving some. I know my reactions aren't what they should be so I haven't dared the freeway, but backroads are enough for a few outings. I'm not much interested in watching things, but I have to be really careful. I have zero endurance. Yesterday I had breakfast out with a friend, then I had my follow up surgeon's appointment (everything is great), and in the evening I went to a social meeting for an hour. That wiped me out and I didn't sleep well.

I'm very jealous re the driving.... my new knee is the right leg...which although I have an automatic is the 'driving ' leg
I'm going to attempt to at least sit in the driving seat at the weekend and see how that goes!

I have never in my life had such a bad case of cabin fever ... :heehee:

I'm thinking at 6 weeks tomorrow I must be getting close to being able to drive!

@Pecanpie I can only imagine. The first day I just drove to the shops, it felt amazing just to be out on my own. I know this next knee is going to be harder because I won't get that back so quickly.

@snowdrop, sorry just seen your question re driving. I tried, but it was difficult and I don't think I'll be doing it again for a while. My car is not automatic, so using the left (revision)knee for the clutch. The bend is still only about 60, so hard to get the seat position right, has to be close enough for the right leg, and far away enough for the left! Had to try hard to lift the leg up off the clutch between gear changes. I think we may trade in this car for an automatic if I don't improve ...

So here I am, approaching the nine week mark at the end of the week. Has it really been that long already?

Life seems to be zooming by ever since I’ve been able to drive and get myself out of the house. The cane fell to the wayside a couple of weeks ago, although I do keep it in the car for outings. I was officially released from PT a week ago. They were happy with my ROM being 120/0, and I am happy too. Strength still needs to be worked on, but it will come with time. I still take things slowly, especially when it comes to stairs or steps. Going up is still painful across the top of the knee...going down is pretty much impossible as our stairs in the house are high, so I just “little girl” it one step at a time. I mean really, where am I rushing to?

Pain is being managed with extra strength Tylenol. If I am having a rough night (always after I have overdone it), I take 1mg of hydromorphone to help the sandman stay a little longer. But generally, I am sleeping so much better! No need for pillows or anything, but I make sure I sleep with very lightweight blankets. Any heavy pressure on my legs seems to aggravate the knees as I attempt to move around and lift the blankets.

My OS keeps bumping my appointment with him. I have only seen him once post-op at the two week mark. My next (bumped) appt is Sept 9 which puts me at almost 12 weeks. I wish I could see him sooner. The very top of my incision is still red, with what I assume to be the knot of the stitch creating a bump. Today it oozed the tiniest amount of clear pink liquid, so I cleaned it and placed a bandaid over it to keep it from rubbing on my pants. I hope it is nothing. I am 4 hours away from my OS, and do not have a family doctor here in town...we only moved here a week before Christmas and the wait list for a doctor is about 3-4 years right now. I know, crazy, but that’s the healthcare system here in Canada. Pffft.

Does anyone still have that zipper feeling along the incision (but deep inside) when bending the knee after standing for a long while? It’s really uncomfortable the first few bends, but then it gors away as I continue to bend. Knee is also very painful when I stand from a sitting position. Will that eventually resolve itself over time? Walking is not presenting any issues at all...shopping is pretty much a breeze now, as is cooking and cleaning.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts