TKR Neesie's Recovery Thread

@Poctdb Patience is not one of my virtues either. I’m happy to have company on that journey.

@nessie I call shotgun! We will take turns driving....you first.
I have PT tomorrow..... I will be driving the patience bus tomorrow.

Oh good, the Patience Bus is accepting more passengers. I'll be there with snacks.
Definitely not one of my virtues.

When my moods get all wonky from stress, whether its physical, mental, or both, I call it being 'brain-jacked'. My normally sensible brain has been hijacked by chemicals and I am not currently in charge, please call back later. lol Personally I have ongoing issues with this (thank you peri-menopause) so it's the code I use to help Beloved deal with it. No, nothing is wrong, I'm just sobbing here quietly for no reason. Which seems utterly ridiculous.

Hi everyone. I'm hoping someone has had a similar experience to what's going on now for me. I have made an appt with my regular doctor for Fri. This new experience started early last week. I read in bed before sleeping for about 30-45 minutes. When I turned out the light and scooted down, I would feel an indescribable sensation in my hands and feet. It wasn't any kind of pain but it was very uncomfortable and kept me up for hours. After googling everything I could think of, the closest description I could find was a kind of pulsating. Then it moved into my ears and head. It is predominantly on the right side but at times on both sides. That is definitely a pulsating sensation and it makes me slightly dizzy. I'm assuming it is some kind of withdrawal symptom. I tapered off of the Oxycodone until I was taking only Tramadol and then I tapered off that. First I lengthened the time between doses and then I cut the doses in half. That was also last week. Has anyone experienced this?

I will tag @Jamie and @Celle for you. They might have some ideas. Also, you should call you doctor just to be on the safe side.

I have not. I think a call to your GP might be the right thing to do .. doesn’t sound like anything to do with stopping your pain meds, I do however remember the last time I actually was given oxycodone for post op pain control for first knee and upon discontinuation felt bit sad but now I realize it might’ve been part of emotional roller coaster..

I do have an appt with my dr on Fri. Will keep you all posted.

Do you have a home blood pressure monitor so you can check your blood pressure and heart rate if this occurs again?

I don't recall hearing of anything like this before. It could be connected to the reduction of pain meds. Are you still having the problem now?

I do have a BP cuff somewhere in the house. I’ll look for it. It occurs in my head/ears intermittently all day and less intensely in my hands/feet at night. I’ve never been experienced anything like it before.

I'm sorry, but I don't have any idea what it might be.
Do let us know what your doctor says, won't you?

I found the BP cuff. Everything looks OK. BP 120/75, pulse 95. I will let you know what the dr says on Friday.

Went to my primary care physician yesterday. After I explained all the symptoms, she thought that it probably was withdrawal from the opioids. She did double check my thyroid since I have hypothyroidism and my TSH is fine. I’m very relieved that there’s nothing seriously wrong. Now I just have to be patient and heal.

I've spoken to so many people who seem to have sailed through it that it makes me feel like such an outlier. I

Almost 5 weeks since surgery.

Trust me you are not an outlier. Or if you are, we are such great numbers that we are actually inliers. (Is that a word?) I just got hit with a soreness around my kneedcap this morning that came from out of nowhere. In fact, I had been thinking before I got out of bed, that I needed to be patient, realize the recovery will take many months, probably over a year and be happy that I can walk a bit around thehouse without a cane. Then I stepped out the bed and WHAT THE HECK?!?!?! WHY IS THERE ALL THIS EXTREME STIFFNESS IN THE KNEE AND PAIN AROUND THE KNEE CAP? IT WASN'T THERE YESTERDAY. All I did was sleep in a normal position all night. I even backed off a lot of the PT and stopped doing some things that seemed to aggravate the knee. Grrrrr........ Not fair!

Every morning! Takes me few minutes of walking but slowly improving. Getting ready to go back to pool and walking channel soon.

@ApricotPie : thanks for sharing your experience. Just last night I spoke to a woman who had both knees done at different times about 4 years ago. At first she was very blasé about the whole thing, implying it was no big deal but when I started talking about my experience and level of pain, she actually admitted how difficult her surgeries and recovery had been. I wonder if some just consider it a weakness to admit to struggling. That would explain some of the attitude I've encountered. Because of this site I no longer feel like 'the only one'.

I've also thought this, and wondered why so many seem dismissive of using a walker or walking sticks. It's nothing to be ashamed of! It's a MAJOR operation and it's OK (and usual) to have some struggles while recovering.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom