Pain, 3 weeks till surgery

Sparkly

Country
United States United States
hi all, quick question for you. I’ve 3 weeks to go till surgery but my pain has gotten so bad, I pretty much can’t walk at all except for a few excruciating steps. I am reclined on my bed most of the time now, doing crafts and watching tv. If I don’t move I don’t hurt. Did this happen with anyone else? Does everyone get to this point? I’m so worried my legs will be so weak in recovery. I have my pre op appointment on tues 2nd and I think I will have to get a wheelchair at the hospital, can’t see me being able to walk around. Would love to hear your stories so I don’t feel like such a wuss.

@Sparkly, you'd be surprised at how many people are in this same position. Hips can deteriorate very fast sometimes. Knees too, but we see it more with hips. People sometimes try to hold off their surgery and end up hurting or other times it just plain speeds along and they are in pain. The main thing you need to do is keep your spirits up because help will be there very soon.

Talk to your surgeon on the 2nd about what you can do to help with the pain in these last weeks. Some doctors don't like you taking pain medication because, for some people, that may reduce its effectiveness post-op. But, if you're in significant pain, that may outweigh everything else and you might be able to take them for a while.

Your surgeon will have seen your latest xrays (hopefully he'll take new ones on July 2) and knows for sure how deteriorated your hip is. If it's bad enough, he may insist on minimal movement so you do not risk further damage.

Try not to worry about your muscles. They can come back. While you're in bed, there are exercises you can do to keep some engagement of the muscles. And you're probably getting up and moving about the house a little during the day and night. That helps too.

This is a time to be really good to yourself. Rest, ice and take something for pain....Tylenol at a minimum (1000mg every 6 hours, whether you hurt or not so there is always medicine in your system. Make sure you don't go over 4000mg in any 24 hours period and count all medications with acetaminophen like cold and sinus medicine). Ice the areas that hurt (put a towel between the ice source and your skin so you don't damage your skin). Take advantage of any opportunity to use a wheelchair, elevators instead of stairs, or anything that lessens the pain for you. Try to distract yourself as much as possible with things like your crafts and television. Maybe have some friends come over and bring lunch for a visit. Read. Napping is okay.

Best of luck to you and remember we're here for you!

The pre op pain seems to be so variable. My friend could not sit. She could walk. I can sit for hours but getting up is agony... Walking is ok..
I understand that we all want to have strong as possible legs before our trip to the OR but if you see people getting out of leg casts 6-8 weeks post fracture their legs are spindly hairy and black and horrific to the owner. But they build back up pretty fast after the healing has taken place.
try and get out.. use the mobility carts in stores.. rent a wheel chair if you can.. When you go to the hospital there will be wheelchairs to help you get to where you need to go. My hospital has valet parking with a chair brought to the car.

O my you are not a wuss.. You are just not used to being dependent!

Thank you guys for the replies. Yes, I am very independent so this sucks. I have a friend having both hips done on The 18th and he seems to be walking around pretty well, I was questioning myself as to my pain threshold. But I guess everyone is different. Had my pity party day today tomorrow will be better. Jamie, I thought my pre op was just paperwork, I do have a phone pre op the day before which I’m sure will tell me more. I love this site but to be honest I find it hard to navigate. I just meander till I find myself back here. Thanks again.

If I don’t move I don’t hurt. Did this happen with anyone else?
I agree with the other posters. How many times during my career have I see xrays that looked totally awful yet the patient declared little or no pain whilst another patient's xrays showed little damage and they were in so much pain, they had to use a wheelchair. And just to add to our misery, none of the pain meds presently available have any effect on the pain. 'Tain't fair!

Morning @Sparkly. I too am having alot more pain. Right at the hip joint there is a consistent pain along with knee and ankle. Do talk to your surgeon about getting something for the pain. My surgeon gave me low dose of tramadol to help me get to surgery. I take one when I've had enough pain so I can sleep or so I can get something done, like dishes or laundry. Not too long girl, I'm pulling for you we're all in this together. :friends:

My surgery date is 5 weeks away. The pain seems to come and go, but there’s no question, the more I do, the more I hurt. Recently, I have been letting the pain remind me, “This is why you are having surgery,” where before, I would do my best to ignore it.

My physical therapist encouraged me to be very careful until surgery, and not worry about being sedentary right now. He said I was “driving on a tire with a bald spot” and he “didn’t want me to have a blowout” - and risk more injuries from falls or pushing too hard.

So, it sounds like you are on the right track and listening to your own body. I hope your appointment is reassuring and helps get you through this final stretch!

@Ptarmigan Great way of looking at it driving with a bald tire. Best of luck to you for your surgery ☘️ I am taking tramadol every 6 hours, but it really doesn’t help the pain. My doctor just prescribed norco for me to use when needed, which I have been avoiding up to this point, again don’t think it does much for pain but helps keep me mellow if that makes sense. @julesglass i have the same my knee is horrible pain and sometimes down to the inside of my ankle.

Last edited:
It is the hardest part, waiting for the surgery. I have some better days and some awful, like yesterday. When the pain spikes, I just try to do as little as possible to make it worse. I am glad that you have at least some medications even if they do not alleviate pain completely, unfortunately there is nothing for the OA pain. Hang in there and soon though not soon enough you will be on the other side and recovering with a shiny new hip.

Agree with everyone, @Sparkly--hip pain is so miserable and unpredictable, and manifests itself differently with everyone. At this time I am able to walk pretty well still, but sitting for any length of time is very uncomfortable. I think you just need to roll with the punches, accepting that until you get that pesky hip replaced it is just not going to be much fun at all. Be kind to yourself and continue to take it easy. Your surgery is coming up rapidly and although recovery is a hassle, slow, never fast enough and having to relearn to use some muscles that have been out of commission for awhile, it WILL happen and you are going to be a very happy lady--think ahead to 2020 and what a great year it will be for you and your fellow 2019 hipsters!

Last edited:
I am sorry you are in so much pain sweety, but know that you are not alone!
I do have pain when walking, but nothing like sitting ans especially when going from sitting to standing. I spend a lot of time laying on my side in the bed with Ice packs and pillows. It can be depressing at time; I use to hike and walk aot, and can longer do so. On positive I have got to binge watch a lot of good shows. lol :)
Many Blessings!

Help, surgery tomorrow. Think I have a UTI. Will they postpone this surgery?

Oh no.. :-( I'm not sure about that one. I've heard @Josephine say several times that it's got to be something fairly serious to stop the surgery but I think that was in reference to the sniffles.. or sore throat. I just paged her and hopefully she's available and will have something to say that helps reassure. In the meantime, could you try calling your Doctors answering service? maybe try your Primary Care Dr and see what they think first? Maybe they would contact your surgeon? Please drink a lot of water while you still can. I am so sorry.

That would be great if she gets backs to you. I called advice nurse as no one available in surgery or pre op till tomorrow. Antibiotic being called in for me, have azo and cranberry pills and straight juice.

ok, good, then you are getting the worst of it taken care of quickly. Prayers for a good outcome tomorrow., You waited long enough!!

I am so very sorry for the worry and uncertainty this must be causing you. And I hope by now, you’ve already heard back from a medical professional who is directly involved with your care.

Until then, please take the very best care of yourself and try to keep a couple of things in mind: if the doctors decide to temporarily postpone your surgery, it will be for the best possible reason - to keep you safe and help you have a great recovery. And, a postponement isn’t a cancellation. It’s just an adjustment to new circumstances. All will be well. Breathe.

I agree with Ptarmigan. Only your surgeon can make this decision, but it certainly is possible he would choose not to perform surgery if you have an active infection. I know that could be very disappointing for you, but you want to be safe. Usually if a surgery has to be postponed, they will make every effort possible to get you rescheduled fairly quickly. Please let us know what you hear from the hospital tomorrow.

Since Josephine is in the UK, you probably won't hear from her tonight.

So did they cancel or not? However, I noticed you said you 'thought' you had a UTI. Was his every confirmed or cleared? I know this kind of thing is really distressing so close to a surgery date. But if they did cancel, it was in your best interests.

Absolutely I'm at the same point. Going to the bathroom in the middle of the night is a major chore, I even have a coffee can by my bed but haven't used it yet. I'm due for rt THR in late November. It gets worse in a hurry. I have to use a walker then switch to a cane just to move in my apartment. Like you I like crocheting and watching TV on my phone, reading Billy Graham sometimes as he's so good a writer and it calms me. Keep up the faith.

Hi @QHElly and welcome!!
We want to share your journey with you so please start a thread of your own in the proper forum. By starting your own thread, you and your questions and concerns will receive the attention they deserve.
A good way is to go to the Pre Op forum and if you are scheduled for surgery you can join the month that correlates re: November Nimbles.
Then we can place your surgery date in your signature.

It sounds like you are having pain, I'm sorry you have to wait so long but you'll find several in the same boat. :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom