Sleep loss

QHElly

Country
United States United States
I'm getting 3 to 4 hours a night. Some of that is dread of the six tooth extractions I have to get before right TKR in November, costing almost $2000 and having to deal with extended time of worsening pain. Is this the norm this little sleep?

Welcome and sorry that you are in the Sleep Deprivation Club.. Try to get the pain under control though its hard. And its worse at night..

Not a medical expert here.. But Tylenol and Advil is working for me or Tylenol and Aleve. Together. Ask your doc if its right for you..

Now I hate dentists too but have had a lot of extractions and nowadays you are not left in pain or afraid of being out in public. The procedure is pretty fast..

Actually my current DMD is a hot bod and just a little older than my grandson.....

One of the staff will be with you shortly to welcome you! I think you landed in the wrong room( we are hippies here and you want to hang out with kneesies ) but they can fix that no worry.

Be Not Afraid!

@QHElly Welcome to BoneSmart! Sounds like you have a lot on your plate at the moment. Best to take it one step at a time. When is the dental work taking place? I always found dental work to be far less painful than I imagined. They will put you out and before you know it you will be done.

Please don't worry about your RTKR at this point. You have a long wait so do spend the time here reading and talking to others going through the same thing. Sleep issue when you are in pain are unavoidable I am afraid.

Hang in there! We are with you all the way!

PS - I moved your thread to the knee side. You will get much more input there.

I am not sleeping much this week, but mostly due to knee pain that is keeping me awake. I hear you, though! It's awful to be short on sleep all the time. Sorry you are going through this.

I have never had that many tooth extractions at one time before (just one or two at a time). But remember, dentistry has truly advanced a huge amount during our lifetimes. They are very good at controlling pain now. When I had my implants and those associated extractions done, I asked for laughing gas and that made it much less stressful for me. Then afterwards my oral surgeon gave me hydrocodone and some non-prescription stuff (Tylenol? I don't remember, something like that). I didn't really need the hydrocodone.

As for the price, it sounds unavoidable. It's never any fun to have a big bill like that, but it's even worse that you are losing sleep over it. My sympathies!

Last edited:
I'm so thankful for your replies, though it took a little hunting to find my post. After telling my good friend not to every time she asked if she could send $500 to help cover the extractions, she said she's sending it and I decided to let her and pay her back once I can sit and work full-time again, which knowing me will be about as quick as recorded in medical history after I'm healed enough from RTHR. I see I put knee in my first post by mistake. It's the right hip. I know the labrum torn up, can snap and catch real good when vending over. Every night it's the same. I get to sleep around 11 and wake up around 1:30, then cuddle my kitty while muffling curses, take a Tylenol and maybe Hydroxyzine my anxiety pill. Then I get bits of sleep between tossing and turning. I'm keeping up with my part-time work quota, so feel good about that.

Now I'm reading the essay. Thank you Carole.

We all have problems with sleep from hip pain. I always could go through the day but the pain at night is rough. With my Rt which is still mine and still bad I can get relief by placing a pillow between my legs. It's the trick after THR but it makes all the sense in the world. It stops your leg from putting pressure on the hip joint. It's helped me sleep a lot better in the last month or so while I work on planning the rt THR.

Thanks for moving my post Pumpkin. I'll try again with the pillow Eman. Congrats and keep hanging in until you get your surgery.

I have to remind myself to use a pillow. I'm getting a memory foam pad, one of the thinner ones not expensive.

Crying this morning with dread of three teeth extractions Thursday but the read your post that they aren't bad and I feel better. The oral surgeon has a good reputation and years of experience. Lucky to have a great big brother John who is calling in the payment beforehand. As long as these three aren't too bad I won't be scared if the next three extractions in September.

@QHElly I had 4 teeth extracted before having braces put on (as an adult). I was terrified but it really was not that bad. The oral surgeon will do everything possible to insure you are not in pain. And I found the recovery was nothing.

Jaycey, I feel better, if you could I can. I got message that John called in the payment and I thanked him profusely. I had four "fang" teeth removed when I was little and survived! Very thankful for this forum.

Three are done! No pain just pulling and noise. I'm at Rite Said waiting for meds.

:yahoo: Well done! Rest and relax. I knew you could do it!

I am. Two big bowls of ice cream so far. Crocheting on oval rug. I was beside myself this morning and said a couple prayers before appt. The oral surgeon and his asst were so nice. I had to take her hand a couple times.

New pain in bottom right of back might be more due to twisting while sitting to fix a spring in my sofa. Definitely earns a swing of Bourbon now and the. Now I'd feel almost thankful to be rid of it and just have the **"'"*' hip pain.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts