PKR Tightness to extreme!<

Thx. At least it gives me hope. This has been 8 weeks of hell. Trying not to think how long this will take.

Well I have some more questions.

It’s been 10 weeks since surgery. Been doing my own workouts and ROM and extension has improved a little. ROM a little over 100. Extension not sure how to measure but stays pretty flat with some force.

Only thing is the ugly bandy feeling across the front of my knee is still there. When walking feels like a rock under my knee cap. Very uncomfortable. Also feels like my kneecap is glued to my skin. I have been massaging and using a rolling device which is supposed to help break up this scar tissue. Is that what it is??

Will this go away on its own?? Anybody else know what I’m talking about. This has me about crazy. Still elevating and icing many times thru day and night. Just can’t stand that bandy feeling.

Ten weeks is just a drop in the bucket compared to 52 weeks. That is the average time it takes to heal completely from this surgery. Adhesions have very rarely. Yes, the number-obsessed PTs will rattle on about it as if the big. bad "scar tissue" is just sitting there, waiting to pounce if you don't do enough exercise.

Actually, it's quite the reverse. The infamous scar tissue (which is more correctly called adhesions) is very rare, and one of the easiest ways to develop it is to work your knee too hard. Over-worked knees get inflamed and hot, and hot tissues become drier than normal and more likely to stick together and form adhesions.

This article explains the difference between scar tissue and adhesions:
MUA (Manipulation under Anaesthetic) and Adhesions

You need normal scar tissue. That's what holds your incision together, and it's part of the normal healing process. Without it, you'd always have an open wound.

Extension not sure how to measure but stays pretty flat with some force.
Don't force it. You're nearly there and the rest will come, given time. ROM, (which is both flexion - bending - and extension) can continue to improve for a year, or even longer after a knee replacement. There's no need to rush, no deadline you have to meet.
Only thing is the ugly bandy feeling across the front of my knee is still there. When walking feels like a rock under my knee cap. Very uncomfortable. Also feels like my kneecap is glued to my skin. I have been massaging and using a rolling device which is supposed to help break up this scar tissue. Is that what it is??
Will this go away on its own?? Anybody
The tight band feeling is normal. It often takes months to go away.
"Tight band" feeling across the front of my knee

I think you should leave your kneecap alone. It will gradually mobilise itself without any need for massaging or manipulating. There's no scar tissue there that needs to be broken up, and trying to make your kneecap move is only going to upset it and increase swelling.

Finally found time to write again. It’s been 4 months since my surgery. Longest 4 months of my life. Finally found a pt that was gentile and caring. My rom is a little over 120. But still have ugly band feeling across my knee. If this would just go away I’d be fine. But when walking or biking it feels like it’s pulling my kneecap off. When not doing that just feels like tight pc of leather that is restricting my movement. Been this way since week 1.
Called my dr in Florida and of course just had to talk to his nurse. Says it’s
Normal. If this is normal I’d hate to feel
Abnormal. Really depressed! Still have
Moderate swelling and thats when you can really feel it. Nurse also says dr won’t give advice with out seeing me. I’m thinking of going to Florida early.

What you are feeling is what many of us feel at 4 months, I sure did. Your ROM is fine but you still need to do lots more healing. You are 1/3 the way healed in this one year, on average, recovery.

For many of us it seems the most thing we have to exercise is patience, me included. Hang in there, it’ll be ok.

Yes, these things are sent to try us! They will go eventually and in your case 'eventually' will probably be something like another 4-6 months.

BTW, you're not still doing any exercises or such, are you?

Light stretching daily. Ride stationary
Bike for 1/2-1 mile. Reg bike is still rough I tried and still don’t have quite enough motion. Also really aggravates my knee and caused to swell. I still have
Moderate swelling with even walking. Really didn’t want to hear another4-6 months. I don’t think I can take that.
Has me about bonkers already. I’m still
Icing and elevating.

Hi @Highridge

I had a MUA in March 2018 after my TKR in Jan 2018. I still have the tight band across the front of my knee, when I mentioned it to my consultant at my 12 month check up he just said "not everyone has the perfect outcome they wish for" Everyone is different, I have friends who have no issues whatsoever, I also have friends who have similar issues to me, i'm just living with my new knee and hoping it slowly improves ! I wouldn't worry until you are at least 12 months past your op. My most recent Physio said to allow 2 years ! Some days it gets to me, some days it doesn't, just stick in there :)

Been about 61/2 mo.since my surgery.
This had been the worst time of my life. Never worked so hard to get better without results. I still have the horrible tight band across my knee
That is so restrictive. No matter what I do or who I talk to about this it doesn’t
Help. I even read that they can do a arthroscopic procedure to help this. But after going back to Florida where I had the surgery my dr said no way. Just said to do more exercises walk backwards to help break this up. He said surgery would just make more scar tissue. But at this point if I can find another surgeon I think I’d try it. My other knee needs replaced too. But I’d never ever put myself thru this again.

I didn't work hard. Got good results. A staff member will be along shortly to give you done recovery guidelines.
Please read them carefully. They should give you some much needed insight into what may have gone awry.

I had this with my first knee. It will go away, it took me about 8. Months then all of a sudden it was gone

@Highridge
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back