Revision THR 'Fractured Neck of Femur/Pinning - Broke hip 5 weeks after replacement'

Lonestrhip, hoping it all improves for you too. It really is great to know others are going through the same thing and we are not alone. Like you I don’t see pt till Monday again. Although he only has me do the foot pumps and muscle contracting and leg slides if I can but not to push it. He said trips to the bathroom are enough walking not to push it. So that was nice he wasn’t pushing me to do anything that was going to hurt. He said ice and rest and meds of course. Best of luck to us all.

I can’t get myself very far into the bed so am pretty close to the edge, I keep dreaming that I’m falling off and do that jump thing you do in your sleep

Do you have a recliner you can relax in and even sleep in. I think I slept in the recliner for at least a week post surgery. It was easier to get up to go to bathroom and I did not have to worry about turning in my sleep since it has sides and I could not turn in it. Provided a safe haven for recovery and leg elevation and icing and more freedom in getting up without assistance for the leg. I think you will find many of us slept in our recliners for assorted different lengths of time. Sometimes even after I started sleeping in bed, I would use the recliner half way through the night when I got up to use the bathroom because it was easier. You are doing well - the first days and sometimes weeks can be difficult. Stay ahead of the pain - take your pain meds on a schedule so you do not wait till you have a twinge or two. Pain control helps us heal and deal with all the other issues.

Well today has been better stayed with every four hours for meds iced all day, elevated leg. And I know you will all be thrilled for me to share with you I had a BM woohoo!

@Sparkly Congratulations on your little digestive success!!!! I know that that was at least as bad as the recovery pain for me both times. It is No Joke to be stopped up, and I'm glad you've reached a milestone!

Sounds like your meds/ice/elevate schedule is working for you. That timing was a good formula for me too.
Meltdowns, I had them! It is very common and normal, and the moodiness can just jump out of the corner and surprise you. I yelled at hubby once, which I never do (saved the yelling for the kids :snork:) and cried many times. It felt like being a teenager in menopause sometimes! My theory is that your body is demanding so much energy for the energy-intensive healing process that the brain and emotions get shortchanged. Who knows what it really is!

Keep up the good relaxing and ice-elevate-meds work! These weeks will pass and you will be glad to see the back of them!

Yay! Now that is a nice report! Nothing like a visit from the poop fairy..
Sounds like you are getting things under control. Don't be worried if you have an up day then a down day. It's a bit of a rollercoaster for a while.
I hope you have a good restful night. :sleep:

Glad all is "going" ...
I certainly had a time with that too.
I took a pile of remedies and mom's advice was to relax...
Kind of hard to relax on a toilet riser with double hip replacement :nah:

These first weeks are a bear...so hang in there my friend.
Healing hugs....:friends:

Last edited:
Success again today tg. Doing better pain wise also. I know I mentioned my leg feeling longer, but do you guys find the walker abit fumbly? Had a shower this morning and felt nauseous after standing for a while. How are you all doing? I guess I’m now 6 days out including day of surgery. Where are you guys at in your recovery?

Yes have a seat, and three grabbers love those things. You still using walker or no?

No, but I dislocated my hip so I’m using crutches and a cane. The walker was great my first week. How’s your pain doing? Are you doing PT?

If you feel more stable with walker, do not feel like you are behind the curve...:)
I did do a double, but pain meds + nausea + some weird out of the blue dizziness...I stayed with mine until I felt stable...
:yes:
Early days my friend.
Hang in there...you will leave the walker behind in good time :ok:

Hello! :flwrysmile: It sounds like you are making some progress! I ws one that got woozy after any physical effort such as a shower, etc. I think it was my blood pressure dropping. It was low in the hospital and the PA instructed me to check it daily and not to resume my blood pressure meds until it was up in a normal to high range. Because of the pain meds it was 6 days post op! Who knew it would take that long, I certainly didn't.
I also would get so fatigued with any effort, it was such a relief to sit back down after my shower and re dressing. I think it improved after the first 6 days or so.
I used my walker for at least the 5-6 days, then I switched to double canes, I felt they gave me more freedom and was less clunky. But as you've probably seen mentioned several times on this site, we all heal and react differently.
This is my second hip replacement and it's much different than my first one.
I am currently about 5 1/2 weeks post op. and still walking with one cane.

I hope this helps and you get a good nights sleep tonight! :sleep:

@Sparkly I had alot of near pass-outs! My shower was not even 3 foot on a side, for which I was VERY grateful. I would feel woozy in the shower and grab the various soap dishes and door handles for comfort. I also had a terrifying early shopping trip soon after I'd started driving at 5 weeks. I got horribly nervous in the car, and it wasn't pleasant but I knew I had to be able to drive interstate 40 miles one way at 8 weeks for my followup OS appointment, so I persevered. Every day a few miles farther. Anyway, I got to the grocery store, clutched my cart, picked up 3-4 items, went to the cash, and was overcome with weakness. I managed to get out to the car, where I rested for half an hour, gathered my courage, and drove the 5 minutes home. Very oddly, or maybe it had been good aversion therapy, for my second hip I had zero problem with this dizzy weakness, and was driving at two weeks bc I had to give up percocet then for possible reactions. (It was the meloxicam, because the symptoms didn't abate until I went off that at 28 days.

Last edited:
By fumbly with the walker I mean bulky. I was doing a little walk around my kitchen island today and again felt like the blood just drained from me. So sat down and then the tears again, crazy, so teary. Pain is doing much better definitely have a handle on that now. I forgot who said theirs was second hip and much different than first. In what way? Hopefully better? I have to have my other done also in a few months. Enjoy your evening everyone

I figure it would depend on how much room there is to maneuver the walker around in your kitchen. I don't have an island in mine however I had to move my kitchen table back some to have enough room to move around and to be able to turn around. The light headedness I had the first few days also. I had gone into the kitchen for a drink and then to the bathroom. By the time I was getting back to my recliner I was feeling woozy and had to really "think" to get set down before I fell down. I know my blood pressure was very low in the hospital before releasing me. I've always had lower blood pressure than most however I figure my spell at home was due to lower than I normally have, along with being mobile longer than just potty runs so soon. The walker can be a bit clumsy till you get it figured out. I watched Bob and Brad on YouTube for more detailed safely using a walker. They are good on details being PT. Shorter trips up till you get your bearings better. Big hug!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom