TKR Ladyala recovery

I had DQ Blizzard for dinner last night. Totally worth it.
Drool. Sounds wonderful to me. In my experience, nutrition needs to be handled on a sort of 80-20 rule. Make 80% the best and healthiest you can manage, and don't worry about that last 20%. I think life should have room for a Blizzard now and then. Or my personal weakness, bacon. Because everything is better with Bacon. Even DQ Blizzards. lol

@Ladyala Did you get away with your lovely picnic? Not ugly comments from Fred?

Feeling encouraged - I'm at 6 weeks today & fred held up great during a long meeting. I brought ice packs, walked around as needed & kept my leg up on a chair. Walking feels more & more normal, although I still feel like a hunk of metal is in there (go figure lol). I'm nervous when I think about school starting but the 1st day is 4 weeks away & I'll most likely be fine.

I go see my OS tomorrow...again...about the open spots. They are getting smaller but still drain when I bend & its so frustrating!! I'm going to get some kind of waterproof bandage for the beach next week but I was REALLY hoping it would be healed by now. One of my favorite things to do in summer is swim. I wouldn't be doing much active swimming right now (obviously) but just floating around would be wonderful!
:swim:

But that's another pity party, I need to count my blessings. I'm healing great overall, I've got good ROM & I'm still in the early stages of this thing.

Now I'm off to take a lil walk with a kid & the dog. Hopefully soon I can go with the dog on my own. Shes a good girl but shes strong & pulls sometimes. Not taking any chances with that!!
:dogwalk:

Caramel chocolate cannonball Blizzard.....

Sadly while I was out today my sweet tooth was nonexistent so no blizzard. Of course it sounds good now...
:doh:

Saw the OS about my spots & he wants me to massage & squeeze them to try & get the gunk out. The other option is to open me up & fish out the sutures- this does not sound pleasant so I'll try messing with them first. Good times!! Otherwise I'm looking great.

I also got my nails done & made a short trip to the grocery. Then iced at home, folded a gigantic pile of laundry (hey, we DO have a couch), made dinner & went for a short walk. According to my fitness app I went .54 of a mile in 15 minutes. Yay!!
:walking:

@Ladyala - hoping to be where you are at 6 weeks! I just don't know if my knee swelling will go down - my no-name knee is like seriously 5+ times the size of the other and doesn't even look like a knee - more like a weird gourd of some sort.

@Ladyala I'm already 10 weeks post-op and just NOW starting at a quarter mile (1 lap on the track) to see if my knee can tolerate it without ruining the rest of the day plus the next.:beg: I can only imagine a half mile!! That is fantastic. I'm very happy for you.

@FitGal I feel you on the swelling. I swelled "severely" with 12-13 large fracture blisters though, so my surgeon said I'm not normal ((imagine that!!) and to consider myself more like a 6-7 wk post-op patient. We're taking the VERY slow and steady approach.:sigh: I knew this going in though, with 7 previous surgeries on this knee and history of arthrofibrosis. I still have lots of swelling at 10 wks post-op, but at least it's improving slowly.

I am just soooooo impatient, craving my old strength training and daily walks.:bored:

Sadly while I was out today my sweet tooth was nonexistent so no blizzard.
:shrug::bawl:
Sorry your spots are an ongoing issue. I hope fussing with them at home solves the problem.

Sounds like a lovely evening. Laundry and dishes. The life of a Mom. lol

@FitGal I hope so too!

@Rockgirl4 you've had a heck of a time. I've read through your thread...yikes!! I'm so glad you are making progress, be it ever so slowly.

Today I'm in the dumps. I'm tired of it all & want my life back. I don't want to do exercises, I don't want to squeeze my spots, I don't want to ice, I don't want to feel like I have a hunk of metal for a knee...wahhhhhhhh!!!
:blackcloud:
However my life before fred was very painful so that makes no sense really. I'm just having a day. Lots to think about with the reunion trip next week, school starting soon, kids upcoming sports schedules, who needs new shoes...yadda yadda yadda. Anxious thoughts are in my head & I'm allowing them to take over & boss me around. Some days its easier to fight, apparently today isn't one of those.

I've got a few things done today but nothing that's on my to do list. Because I don't want to do them!! I'd rather stick my head in the sand & hope they go away. But I know from experience they will still be there, waiting for me & will likely be harder to do later. Ugh. Adulting sucks sometimes.

Ok...sorry for ranting on & on. I'm being a big baby. I have lots to be thankful for. I'm reasonably healthy, I have a great family, I get to go to the beach soon, fred is doing well overall, I get to go back to work in 4 weeks doing jobs that I love, I've been blessed to have the summer off to heal, there is food in my cupboards, clothes in my closet & a roof over my head!

Ok I feel a little better now, time to get on with it & get stuff done. Maybe.
:good-bad:

@Ladyala I hear you. Today is hot outside and my energy level is 0. I have few things I need to do and you sound so organized.. I sell on eBay and thought things were under control before knee surgery. But now I’ve hauled too many things (clothing) out of boxes meaning to list at least couple a day and I find myself making excuses to look for other things to do. Like propping my foot up whilst checking this site again! I’m retired and sometimes have grands here but thankful for quiet summers. My knee is stiffer than usual probably since I’ve gone out to eat couple times and let it hang down. I too am tired of same thing every day and wish I had bit more energy back! Right now my arm is bothering me from pacemaker incision so I’m whining along with you! But yep. Counting my blessings. I’m alive.. have food in frig, comfortable bed and looking forward to tv tonight!

@Ladyala I'm sorry you're having one of those days. :sad: I think no matter how blessed we are, the drawn-out nature of recovery just wears on a person. It's difficult to be positive every single day and every moment, when we just want to be NORMAL.

I hope tomorrow is an easier day and those chores go smoothly. I personally joined the ODIC (over did it) club yesterday and am paying for it, so my chores are getting completed VERY slowly.:bored:

For me today it’s .. do one little chore.. rest awhile... maybe one more.. achy today. Tylenol isn’t working like it did.. thinking takeout tonight.

Hang in there @Ladyala! Thinking about ya and your knee, Fred!
Remember - these are the type of days that make us even stronger :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back