TKR knee stiffness two years post-op

My health was at risk pre-TKR. My activity level was really compromised and I had been pretty active before the last two years when things went bad quickly. Once, about 4 months ago when I was going downstairs, my knee gave out 4 steps from the bottom and I flew forward. My hand hit the glass side window by the front door when I came to a stop. Glass didn't break but I was scared for sure. My OS asked me if I could walk a city block without pain before agreeing to surgery. I couldn't take a step without pain!

Tough. I feel I could have waited but what for, wasn't going to improve so better to bite the bullet.

@cathyn518 Just letting you know it really does start getting better after week 4. I couldn't believe the difference between week 4, then 5, and again at week 6. It was shocking to see all the things that improved, went away, what came back (like walking on a slight slope), and a lack of needing pain meds around the clock. Hang in there. I know it's soooo frustrating at times.:console2:

As for the cancer/leukemia stuff----it does seem like everything is out to kill us. My mom died of cancer last Christmas,and it came out of nowhere---but she went 20 yrs without a colonoscopy, though she had many symptoms suggesting she get one. Not sure if it would have mattered though. My dad died of a rare bladder cancer back in 2014, and my brother is one of the older/oldest testicular cancer survivors, getting it at 47. I constantly wonder what's in my genes, especially since my brother is such a health nut and exercises religiously. I'm guess I'm just saying I already expect some weird cancer diagnosis in my future, so I may as well get my knees fixed so I can continue exercising and do what I can to stay healthy :) ----but if it is all in my genes, and my time is short here, I will have enjoyed every minute of it with my bionic knee(s).:thankyou:

Last edited:
Cancer seems pretty to strike so many and out of no where. I have heard doctor's refer to it as "the enemy within" I know of a secretary in a school I used to work in who was vigilant about her health (only organic foods) exercised every day, etc. She wouldn't even eat any cake on her birthday that staff brought in. She died of pancreatic cancer, almost a month after the diagnosis. None of us get out of here alive! Hoping the heat breaks next week, it is too unpleasant even to go outside for a minute. I understand this is the weather for most of the country

thank you

@Benay thank you so much for your encouragement. 4 weeks seems to be a down time for me. I haven't seen much recent progress as far as swelling/ pain and ice all the time My mood fluctuates too. I keep thinking "the sun will come out tomorrow" It has been sweltering here so not sure if I actually want the sun to come out but just to feel a bit better

We seem to be running parallel to each other. I am finding that for the last few days, my knee has been less pliable, more swollen and more painful. Just when I thought things may get better, they haven’t really.

This is when I start the mind game...ticking off things that are going better than last week. For example, I can sit in the front passenger seat now (no more lying across the back seat like Cleopatra!), I can shower AND dress myself without falling into an exhausted heap on my recliner, I can make simple meals for myself and family. Sure, the list of what I can’t yet do is considerably longer, but I need to focus on the positive stuff right now or I’ll go crazy. The mood can swing up and down with the slightest provocation. I think this is normal for the time that we’re in on our path to recovery.

And yes, the heat is oppressive! Can’t get outside for more than a few minutes without swelling up! Good news on the horizon here though...temps are going down to a blissful 15C tonight!! (60F)...another thing to be happy about :happydance:

You know, here's a thought - pancreatic cancer is very much one of the rarer forms.

As for the cancer producing metals in joint replacements, you should always check out the date of those articles. Because while I don't doubt it was possible (only 'possible'!) in the early years, 1950-1070s, these days all the materials used are carefully checked and screened for such hazards and don't even leech now. So I think you can safely put that scare tactic aside.

I'd also add that knee replacement is now the most performed and most successful surgical procedure in medical history, account for some billions of replacements. So I think if there was any incidence of leukemia, there would be plenty of material to back up a pretty good study!

Josephine, good point about the dates and I have come to accept that I still would have had my TKR even if it was well documented that it could cause cancer. I would rather have 10 good years then 20+ limping in pain, not being able to enjoy ANYTHING that life has to offer. Also, I had a rather stern talk with my hubby about sharing our neighbor's ignorant opinion with me. I can't wait until I can see this neighbor out walking his dog and pass him with mine (the guy does have knee issues!)

for the past two days I have had a sharp pain come in go in the medial side of my knee. I am used to a dull ache but this pain is different. It is in the exact same location as my pre-surgery pain which makes me scared. It does not seem to be a result of over-doing it. I am icing and elevating. I still I worry that the surgery did not work to address the worst pain I had. I am about 5 weeks out now, still early. I go back to the OS in a couple of weeks and will ask then. Wondering if anyone here has any insights. Thanks

It is not unusual to get pains in new areas for no apparent reason during the recovery. Hang in there with the icing and elevating. You may find that the pain also randomly disappears.

I have been doing better in terms of mobility but I have a inconsistent pain on the inside of my knee, pretty much mid knee and is rather sharp.This seems to be a sore spot which is triggered by some exercises so I won't do them. Otherwise, it comes and goes despite activity. I go back in two weeks and will be sure to mention it to my OS but my self prone to panic thinks something could be going wrong. I am still icing, elevating and tylenol. New PT has been gentle. Wonder if anyone has any thoughts on the matter

Cathy, you can see that I have moved this thread of yours into your own thread (this one) because any responses to it risks derailing the other member's thread. You can tell when a thread is yours because
1. your posts will be grey/blue and everyone else's will be white
2. you will have a bar under your name saying "Thread Starter" like this
thread starter.JPG

It is at point CRF2, at the lower point of C.

If I put slight pressure on it with my hand when it is stabbing, it feels a bit better

ok, I have a bit of dyslexia, evidently. It is my left knee that was replaced so it is at point C, LF3. I was not able to mark the diagram. Thank you for any insight you may have.

I was not able to mark the diagram.
Do tell me, did you really expect to be able to mark the diagram? I expect you can do that on a tablet but this isn't interactive so you wouldn't be able to!

Anyway, you mean this spot, yes?

cathy.jpg

yes, I did try to mark the diagram! I am too literal. Yes, Josephine, that it the exact spot of pain. Much better today, took it easy and just did a little walking in the pool. Last night the pain was very sharp and different from what I am used to post TKR, ice did not help that much

Mods please change the name of my thread to "still crazy after all these months" It has been 12 weeks since my TKR and I have been silent for a bit. I have still come here to read but haven't posted in a while. I had gotten sick of my knee being the focus of my life and I have been trying my best to ignore it. My knee joint is not chronically painful any more but the stiffness continues and sometimes sharp pain on my inside calf. The stiffness is what bothers me most and ice does not seem to help with that. I am taking Ibuprofen and Tylenol on occasion but not on a regular basis. I have found a general uptake in stiffness in my whole body in the mornings, sometimes my fingers are locked and I have to manually release them. I don't know how this could be related to the tkr, it is probably just a function of being 62 1/2 but is discouraging nonetheless. I have been able to take my dog on some walks and have found myself doing some activities like gardening as I had in the past. I feel though that I have not made significant progress in awhile and I can not honestly say I am happy I did this yet. I am also done with PT, I do my own exercises and don't want pressure from a therapist. So just checking in, feeling a bit down and yet know I am progressing as expected. Thanks to all of you for your support and advice over these past months

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88