TKR Update

@Benay loved Once Upon A Time! No knee issues during the movie and walking to and from the theater to my apartment. Icing now before meeting friends for drinks. Back in the game!

So good! I've just got home from visiting a rescue dog a friend wants to adopt. Lunch, smoked salmon salad and champagne. Now home icing with my cat. Wasn't the movie great! Yay the game continues!

@Benay, sounds wonderful. Drinks turned into dinner with sake at a cool Japanese place in our neighborhood with a nice stroll in between since it was lovely out last night. A little tired this morning and icing away.

Hi everyone, I'm following all the threads and posts but nothing much to report my end. Tomorrow I'm 3 calendar months post, it's gone fast and I consider myself really lucky. Still have some minimal residual pain and swelling if I grossly overdo but this just struck me as interesting to check out with you all.

I had a fill in PT for one appointment some weeks back. He was super sweet. We were discussing meds and he said a couple of glasses of wine will do as much and probably more than heavy duty meds. I have a glass of white while I'm fixing dinner and another with dinner. Most noticeable is my stair climbing and descending ability - it's the easiest of the day and totally painless. Wondering if any of you have noticed the same improvement under the same control conditions.

In my case I'm doing the up and down really like a normal person. Painless, seamless.

Last edited:
@Benay - I am only on Day 10 - with no heavy meds. I find it interesting about what you PT mentioned about having a glass of wine. I know it is still too early for me to think about wine (I was also a Modelo and Corona fan), but I figure I might put it on my "look forward to" list.... just wondering what would be realistic...:martini:

When I was off oxy I felt I was ok to drink wine with dinner, or even if I was eating out at lunch. Interesting to know how the others feel.

Last edited:
We've had a power outage here for the past 1.5 hours it's awful. Hope it comes back soon. Even iphone data is really slow.

Last edited:
@Benay - well maybe I may enjoy a drink sometime next week. Been off the oxy since Day 5 (I couldn't handle that stuff). We are good with power for now over here in RPV. Hope yours comes back soon!

@Benay you sound great! Congrats on 3 months! My 3 month check up with my OS is Aug. 15, then off on my trip 2 weeks after. I’m going to get the ice bag you recommended.
Doing pretty well, just went on a 3.5 mile walk around town doing some shopping and feel a little tired but no knee pain at all. I think I’m similar to you, I ice when I overdo and I’m still taking Tylenol but not constantly. Definitely helps @ night.
Regarding the alcohol convo with @FitGal it won’t surprise you to hear that I’m completely in favor of wine, beer or liquor over meds any day! I hated the way pain meds made me feel and was completely off them on Day 6. And I was on Coumadin so I couldn’t drink for 6 weeks. But it went pretty fast and I managed with Tylenol and ice. But a gin and tonic with ice would have been great! Hope you continue to have a smooth journey, you’ve been an excellent travel buddy.
Total nonsequituer, but they came out with the orthopedic hospital rankings and HSS where I went was first in the US, and it lived up to the rep, they have been great. Did you go to Cedars Sinai? They were second, and sound great.

@RAD I'll reply in more detail later (son coming home, going out to eat). Checked Hoag ranking - my hospital - 93rd in the USA :censored:. spose it's not that bad, must be out of 1000s.

Last edited:
@RAD Hope you have a fabulous trip, looks like the weather in London has cooled down from sweltering. I love London and super to be with your sister.

Reactions: RAD
Thanks @Benay 24 days to go! Starting to make dinner reservations! Hope you are feeling good and having fun!

24 days to go is good, getting better and better!

13 weeks post and I feel the numb area below and to the left of the knee cap is bigger rather than smaller. How could that be? Might have been overdoing so trying to pull back, ice and elevate. Keep telling myself I'm 1/4 of the way through recovery but this set back is unexpected. Has anyone else experienced their numb area enlarging? :beg: Now it's over half of the knee cap, same left side.

Hi @Benay I still have some numbness on the left but I don’t think it’s ecpanded. It has been more sensitive though which I guess is because I’m feeling more. Hopefully it’s part of the process of getting feeling back ultimately for both of us. My only other issue lately is that my non operative knee is a bit swollen and acting up. My PT thinks it’s from overuse, so I’ve been icing and stretching it more than my operated knee!

Honestly @RAD I'm still inclined to freak out and overthink it. And also I have the same twinges as you in the right knee so making a big effort to mostly (*) walk up and down stairs foot over foot to give righty a break. Icing as we speak... lefty. It's a bit like Snakes and Ladders. :bow:

I was just icing my right too @Benay! Took a long walk this morning and have been icing and watching Bogart movies on TCM this afternoon!

@winemama I'm really good, knee is (so far) excellent (into early 4th month). I'm doing stairs like a champ and been off even Tylenol for the past month. Minor swelling here and there but nothing to complain about. We're going to Belgium early October (a wedding in Antwerp), I can't wait. OS said no need for any follow up unless I ever feel the need.

Im feeling confident this chapter in my life has come to a satisfactory close. I want to get back into shape, that's next on the agenda. I've lost 7 of the pounds I put in through enforced inactivity, now need to tone up. Back to yoga with avengence.

I miss all our surgery buds but I know no news is good news! All of my best wishes to you xx

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JoeyRamone