TKR Snowdrop’s Second Knee Adventure

You're absolutely right to wait to walk outside until you can do it on an even surface. Safety first!
I was so lucky to have a fairly normal summer when I had my tkrs--not like this year which moved from cold to unseasonable heat. Bleh!

Not sleeping is the worst. Normally, my sleep isn't all that great, so it's not currently much worse than normal. But I had a hernia repair in December and had weeks of practice sleeping flat on my back. I now know I was in training for this event. Some nights I want to roll on my side so much I could cry, except that then I try it and a really do cry.

I'm having good luck with putting the bad leg up on one soft pillow and putting a well wrapped ice pack on it when I go to sleep. My ice packs are still slushy (home made) so not as cold as solid ice. I'm falling asleep easily like that and it keeps me mostly comfortable.

@luvcats , I know what you mean about wanting to lay on your side. My body is screaming for it too! I can lay on my side and sleep, pillow between the legs and ice machine on, but three hours is the longest stretch for me. After that, I can’t get comfortable no matter what I do. Blerg. Here’s hoping to better nights soon!

@kneeper , this summer has been brutal for heat and humidity! Even standing outside for a few minutes, I can quite literally feel the knee and leg swell. Maybe I’ll venture over to the local dollar store or something...it’s air conditioned and smooth and definitely a change of scenery, lol.

I am now 4 weeks and 3 days into my recovery. Even though the past weeks have seemed incredibly slow, I cannot believe that surgery was over a month ago! Progress is being made, albeit slower than I would like (sound familiar, anyone?).

ROM is coming along slowly, measuring at 105 and 2 at my last PT on Thursday. I wonder if I’ll ever be able to make that full rotation on the bike! Everything still feels incredibly tight. The swelling in my knee is still medium and pain levels fluctuate between 1 and 4. Most times, the pain feels like a dull and consistent ache in the bones, accentuated with a few zingers on the inside side of my knee. I am still taking 1000mg tylenol every six hours. A few afternoons I have had to take 1 mg of hydromorphone to help manage my discomfort.

Nights are getting better. With 2mg hydromorphone, I can now get 4-5 hours of solid sleep, which has felt most luxurious! My energy usually runs out by mid afternoon and this is when I tend to snooze in my recliner while the tv rumbles away showing some tacky reality show that I have no interest in. I save the good stuff for when I am more alert!

I haven’t tried walking the neighbourhood just yet, mainly because of the heat and the fact that the roads are not smooth. I’ve managed a couple of trips to the grocery store, mainly to get some walking done while hubby pushes the wagon. It feels good at the time, but ice is my best friend when I get home! I am really looking forward to the day when I can head out the door for a good 45 min walk!

My ADL’s have slowly increased. Yesterday I managed to dust most of the house. I can easily do a load of laundry, make coffee and cook some meals. I think washing dishes is still far in my future (or so I tell my family, haha). I’ve resigned myself to the fact that any sort of gardening will have to wait until the fall. All in all, I am feeling pretty good. Sure, my mood and outlook shifts from day to day, but for the most part I am staying pretty positive. My bouts of feeling frustrated and sorry for myself are definitely fewer, thank goodness!

It all seems so familiar, you're moving along there. I found using the grocery cart myself was a super stabilizer being that I never used a walker or stick.

I agree, the grocery cart is as good as a walker. I went to the store with my husband but we used 2 carts so he could put anything heavy in his

I tried the grocery cart, but found that the four wheels were too fast for me! I am better off walking on my own with cane while hubby takes care of the cart. Besides, I can point to the things I need with my cane :rotfl:

Some nights I want to roll on my side so much I could cry, except that then I try it and a really do cry.
I know what you mean about wanting to lay on your side. My body is screaming for it too!
There's no reason why you shouldn't lie on your side during recovery, if you can get comfortable. You may need help to position yourself comfortably, though.

After each knee replacement I've had, the nurses have rolled me onto my side for short periods, for a change of position.

I found that the best way was to lie on my non-operated side, with a pillow between my legs, to support the operated leg. The pillow needs to be lengthwise, so it supports your leg from above the knee to below the ankle.

You don't have to keep your operated leg completely straight, but can let it bend a little.

Of course, you can't elevate your leg while you're lying on your side, so that may be a disadvantage.

My ADL’s have slowly increased. Yesterday I managed to dust most of the house. I can easily do a load of laundry, make coffee and cook some meals. I think washing dishes is still far in my future (or so I tell my family, haha). I’ve resigned myself to the fact that any sort of gardening will have to wait until the fall. All in all, I am feeling pretty good. Sure, my mood and outlook shifts from day to day, but for the most part I am staying pretty positive. My bouts of feeling frustrated and sorry for myself are definitely fewer, thank goodness!
Ah, the joy of house dusting. That one passed immediately for me. :loll: Seriously, though, it does feel good to take on some of those normal activities. I think you're right to wait on any serious gardening until the fall but you're getting there bit by bit.

Week 5 update...ROM hasn’t budged, actually back a few from 105 to 100. Although I feel like I can get around much better, the knee/leg still aches, the bend is stiff, the swelling a little less than moderate (but hot and swollen after a lot of activity). I am elevating, icing, taking pain meds, trying to do ADL’s. I go to PT once/week now, and try to do a little PT at home (simple bends mostly). Still chasing Mr. Sandman.

Gotta say, I am feeling frustrated. I am so tired of not being able to walk out the door and do what I want.:gaah:

Gotta say, I am feeling frustrated. I am so tired of not being able to walk out the door and do what I want.:gaah:
You are not alone, we all feel/felt this way.

This is a long recovery and improvements can be very slow, but they do happen.

Try not to focus on ROM numbers, your ROM is going to vary for a long time.
Although I feel like I can get around much better
This is what counts.

Oh I hear you. I'm very frustrated today! It just seems to take forever & I'm worried about going back to work at the end of summer. And I won't have dinner helpers anymore cos my kids will all be at sports practices. Eeks!! But then I tend to worry about everything...love that anxiety!

I have to keep reminding myself, this is ok, it will get better eventually. Just keep taking baby steps

I'm so thankful I found this forum, it's so helpful to whine & vent with people like you who understand.
:roseshwr:

It is a long recovery and that makes for frustration. :console2: Sounds like you're doing the right things. Just keep listening to the knee and you'll get there.

Could someone please change my thread title to Snowdrop’s Second Knee Adventure

I'm right there with you! Yesterday I had to put myself in time out for my terrible attitude. lol

I felt like a kid in the middle of summer vacation. Mooooom! I'm booored... At that point I usually got sent to clean my room, and if I could have, I definitely would have. lol

Happy to be of service. lol

Yesterday on Prime I found Jeanne Roberts comedy shows. Low key but quite amusing. No profanity. Profanity doesn't offend me, but it's nice when they don't need it.

Well, I am now 6 weeks out and doing fairly well. ROM has shifted slightly to 107, but that’s just a number, right? My ADL’s have become so much easier, and that’s what really matters to me. I am now driving which makes life during recovery so much more bearable! Light grocery shopping and errands are relatively easy compared to just a couple of weeks ago! My house is cleaner, my kitchen is organized again, and I’ve been able to put away a few medical devices which makes me feel a whole lot better! Gone are my walker, leg lifter, bathtub chair and cryocuff!

I am still using my cane when I go out, but at home I only use it when I am tired. Most of the time I don’t even remember where I’ve put it, lol...good sign! My bathroom throne stays put until further notice though...I’m not ready to let go of that quite yet!

Pain management is good right now, with Tylenol extra strength during the day and 2mg hydromorphone to help me sleep. I had my 4 month old grandson here for a week, along with my daughter’s cat. Between the crying and meowing all night long, I wasn’t getting much sleep. But now they’ve gone back home and last night was silently blissful...even slept a solid six hours!! I love them, but sheesh...I am too old for that nonsense now, lol. I did my time raising three kids...I am enjoying being a grandma!

Television is still boring. I think I will attempt reading a book as my mind is clearing up and I think I can concentrate again. But really, the best part has been being able to get out of the house when I want. Freedom is everything.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts