THR Struggle has been real!!!

Well now you know the reason why BoneSmart was created. Most people are discharged with little or no information. And you really can't know what to expect unless you have had first hand experience. Too many patients are given written guidance that is either out of date or doesn't even apply to their situation. I am really happy that BoneSmart has helped you through this journey.

Slow and steady - you'll get there!

I am also relieved I got answers last night concerning my phase in hours going back to work..OS stated my work note beginning Aug 12 to Sept 6 ( FU Appt )
4 to 6 hours .. cane..ice..foot sling if they do not agree to these modifications I cannot return..
I have been fearful as my Fmla will be exhausted as of Aug 12..apparently under the ADA this is considered a reasonable request and they have to honor and no threats to the job
I'm no lawyer and far from an expert about FMLA,HR depts and the ADA. But I have dealt with all of them and my advice is to keep good records, document everything and know your employer has the final say. You can read my thread about how mine worked out.

My daily to do list:
Be much kinder to hips..moderation..rest..elevate..ice
Short trips throughout the day..say Yes Please Do!!!:yes!:

Awesome! I believe you'll continue to excel with this approach.
Have a great Tuesday! :SUNsmile:
@Aline

@Eman85 I wasn’t sure how to get to your thread, as far as work note with modifications I have spoke to HR and Director of Accounting no problems with phasing in for four weeks..huge relief
Here I am behaving elevation and ice 2 days in a row I haven’t ventured out for a few hours..taking much discipline I even slept for 8 hours straight through last night
I do have to get to pharmacy today the lidocaine patches are ready to pick up hopefully I will get comfort on the right thigh... the swelling calf area is still about 30 percent and toes go numb..I am in 6th week ohh boy...... I know when left was done I experienced the same thing I don’t remember when I regained all feelings ....the right was too busy keeping me in pain
I don’t mind the stiffness soreness but this numbness is driving me crazy!!!

Still in recliner haven’t done a daggone thing today..lol Guess I will try to get motivated to make a drive thru trip to Walgreens for the lidocaine patches for my right thigh..I been down for two days ODIC I took muscle relaxer I really do not like the way they make me feel...uggh sluggish and fuzzy..but they do settle down my muscles..I took at lunch time my head Not swaying side to side lol

Oh I don't know what to say, I didn't experience any numbness except in my right pinky from carpal tunnel using walker. Is numbness common? Nor did I experience swelling. What does your Orthopedic Surgeon say about the numbness? ie were there nerves cut/disrupted in your procedure(s)?
Also did not take lidocaine or muscle relaxers, are these for your back issues?

I have experienced numbness in legs since 2008 back related lumbar fusion..the nerve block they gave me I believe has a lot to do with this...when the left was done in May..they had to give me 2 blocks..but that resulted in my thigh being numb well into my six weeks..I am now in my 6 weeks on right and it effected my lower calf and foot
As for as swelling my knee was huge when the left was done and it is almost normal
On my right the swelling has been awful in my calf and foot my doctor measured when I was about 2 weeks out and it was 4 inches larger than left...it has gone down significantly but can feel when I bend my knee to get into tub
I’m no doctor but due to my back problems I believe that is why...lidocaine patches are to try to help the nerves in the thigh...I fell and broke my arm in 2016 because legs were numb and left buckled and down I went!
I have not left house in 2 days been elevating and ice my right hip is very much swollen I had to buy capris a size larger and shoes half size bigger been unable to get in my clothes and shoes.
I’m glad to hear all is going well with you @jwadds

Spent the last two days in recliner elevated and iced..my hair was so dry and thin due to 2 surgeries and anemic I had stylist take off 3 inches everywhere I’ve went to shoulder length to almost a pixie..I feel fabulous let me tell ya!!! :yes!:Natural curl.. no need for blow dryer.. going back to work this will be one less thing to deal with in the am. I am feeling much better and some difference in the swelling in calf and foot... hip is still out there lol
It does make a huge difference spreading my steps throughout the day and resting..I could kick myself for pushing too hard too fast!
Beautiful day here in the hills of Kentucky :happydance:

Good Morning Aline,
You have a great attitude and it's not too late to get it right, as you seem to be doing, so please cut yourself some slack. The important thing is you're taking proper care now, showing yourself some TLC.

Here is an article on hair loss that you may find interesting -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/hair-loss-following-surgery-trauma-stress.22564/
Glad you found a remedy for the thinning hair that makes you feel better about your current situation.
It will thicken up again.

You're doing great. Enjoy the beautiful day In Kentucky!
@Aline

@Layla thanks for the article..no wonder hair was in horrible shape...girllll I was close to pulling my scissors out and whacking away!! So glad I was able to move around easier today to get myself up the street for a cut!
In my recliner and resting...wait... has my pain shifted?:chinstroke:
Oh it has!:happydance: Been miserable for weeks with a sharp throb on top of thigh..it has moved it’s on my side and around the back under incision...welll that’s great news to me..my body is healing!!! Being in my 6 week ...I have wondered if it was stem....phew everything is working..I missed all this fun with my left surgery..those 2 nerve blocks kept my thigh numb for well over 6 weeks...Yes I was sweating bullets:what: thinking Omg...am I ever gonna feel my thigh again!

Hi :wave:
Pain, discomfort and odd sensations are common this early on. It seems one is often replaced by another.
I'll bet the differences between right and left in the way that they're healing is interesting.
I hope you have a great weekend. :)
@Aline

ms-aJ6Kmt.gif
@Layla I wished I had found this forum prior to first THR I would have enjoyed looking back and journaling it wasn’t until I got home after second surgery I was so very ill searching for answers when I came across this site all you gals would have helped me through a lot of fears and to push me to be proactive with my infections...I suffered several days until my sister said that’s it we are going to ER...!
Check out below me answering my sister LOL I’m not sure if it will work right...Lol it showed up at top when I pasted...that’s me !

That "okay" thing above is funny :heehee:
BoneSmart is great! I can't imagine my recovery without it.
The support is awesome and it's a wonderful resource for advice on non urgent matters.
Enjoy your new hair. New hair, new attitude. :egypdance:
@Aline

My Sunday evening ritual Cup of Coffee and my Pecan Pie..I tried again this afternoon to get in bed and try to figure out how after 10 weeks I can return to my pillows and handmade quilt my grandmother made for me 50 years ago, believe it or not it has only frayed on one corner
I didn’t do too well left hip side didn’t bother me too much but even with pillow in between legs I could not get comfortable with the right leg on top I was afraid to bend knees ( too much swelling and then I worried it may be too soon)
So I switched and layed on right hip with pillow legs straight out...hip is still too swollen
So I went back out to the recliner...2 1/2 months will I ever get back in my bed :sigh:
Going back to work in 2 weeks starting to get clothes organized bought 2 pair of shoes..it’s gonna take a minute to replace all my shoes..my gait was so bad I can look at the soles and see how I walked on the outside of feet..I catch myself reverting to old habits and stop :gaah:.... heel..toe it does take much concentration I know that is one of reason why the out sides of both hips hurt..it is muscle soreness..
How long is it gonna take for the tightness in skin recedes? I jokingly said to OS last Monday ...what did y’all do? It feels like you took my skin from hip and folded it up and sewed it up in my hips :flabber:
Been good week..I stopped trying to do everything in 4 hours..nonstop
Can tell a big difference in my recovery tackling errands cooking laundry in hourly intervals.. elevations and icing throughout the day
@jwadds hope you had a good week

I was afraid to bend knees ( too much swelling and then I worried it may be too soon)
Ice those knees if they are swollen. It takes a bit of time before you can be totally comfortable side sleeping again. Just keep trying. Once you can bend your knees you will feel better.
Going back to work in 2 weeks
I hope you can do a Phased return to work .

So I went back out to the recliner...2 1/2 months will I ever get back in my bed
I'm 9 weeks out and just in past week starting to sleep on side. You had 2 ops a month apart, so you've had more to deal with! Even now my op side is marginally more comfortable than the non op side. But I still flip over on back lots of the night. Could you go back to your lovely bed and sleep on your back? I actually got used to it. But I do put a very soft down pillow under my knees to help with back pain. Give it a try. If you are sleeping on your back in recliner your bed may feel more comfy. Good luck!

Around 9 pm I decided to take 25 me Amtricyline my doctor gave me a few weeks back and attempt getting in my bed..grabbed my ice, put a pillow under my feet and between my legs..I propped myself up ( been unable to sleep layin flat due to lumbar fusion years ago)
I woke up around 2 am I had moved to my left side not realizing until I was awoken with some discomfort I was able to get back on back and awoke at 6 am on my right side..I am a bit sore but I’ll deal with it...my ice pack was laying on the floor..lol
The hospital sent me home for each hip a really nice ice pouch that has a band to Velcro around area with 2 gel packs each one so I winded up with 8 gel packs and 2 ice pouches..I can hit my knee and hip at same time..will try that today..I am confident that left hip won’t discolate after 10 weeks.. but the right is six weeks out and with all problems I have had I am still in that “ not sure” phase.
My OS wants me to go back on 4 hours work, I was concerned they might not accept so he wrote my note as 4..6 hours with modifications with no indication of returning to full time
@Jaycey @Calgal

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom