THR Struggle has been real!!!

Haha just got home from dinner out with my sisters so never saw your post on my thread! These bonesmarties have worked their magic behind the scenes.

Since you’d posted on my thread, I’ll give you my experience for what it’s worth.
You maybe thinking your recovery will be linear, but my experience is that each leg progresses at their own pace. That also means regression in odd ways too. @Mojo333 had a great graphic that shows expectations vs reality, not sure if you’ve seen it.

I was a weirdo and watched actual surgeries of hip replacements (just because I’m a “need to know” type) so i can understand why there is random pain and setbacks (with all the hammering, sawing and drilling that went on). I think it’s a miracle that I’m better than I was pre op. Are you worried that any pain is an infection in the prosthesis? I know I did. Gradually each week I gained more confidence that my body was healing and all was going to be ok. I hope that day comes for you soon. Sending healing hugs your way @Aline ❤️

PS, I bought a home test kit for UTIs from Amazon because I also had this issue. Not a substitute for getting an actual test from the lab, but I live on my own too and getting to Doctor wasn’t easy. It seems to put my mind at ease

I attempted this afternoon to lay on my left side to nap..bit uncomfortable I had the pillow in between legs is it too early?
I found it took awhile before I could lay on my side. Just keep trying. Always with that pillow between your legs.
I also have been running a low grade fever 99.6 all day..no signs of UA and my incision has healed from infection three weeks ago..nausea
Flu? The nausea doesn't sound right. Are you still taking medication for pain?

Here is the aforementioned graphic..
Recovery chart drawn.jpg

Hope today is a better day.

@Mojo333 ...I haven’t heard anyone use the term “feeling puny” in over 45 years. My supervising teacher when I student taught was from the South...a “steel magnolia” and it amused me so much when she said it. It’s a great descriptor and I suspect it will find its way into my vocabulary now that I’ve heard it again!:heehee:

@jacey pain mgt doctor changed up my meds on weds I have had chronic pain since 2007 he took me off an opioid I was on for 5 years he seemed to think I would not have any problems I believe I have I have been journaling the last few days..After 19 hours on weds night I was sweating heavily stomach cramps and nausea so I decided to take a pill needless to say I was able to fall asleep and the symptoms went away. Thursday same thing I took something around 13 hours later and again yesterday
This medication was extended release 8 hours 3 x day..I have taken 1 a day since Wednesday. Yesterday the fever talked to my sis apparently there is a bug going around with all these symptoms she and her family had it last week. The fever is the only thing that to my knowledge doesn’t attribute to withdrawal.
Doc placed me on a different opioid thinking it may give me more relief but to take a med that I have taken consistently for five years I was very concerned on Tuesday when speaking to him I have been on ER for 5 years and IR for 15 years. I have a lumbar fusion in lower back L4L5 S1S2 which is a failed back surgery I have stenosis bone spurs that aggravate the back. Cervical fusion on C5C6, My legs were weak I fell a few years back my wrist has a plate 3 screws and 4 pins in the hand..The hips were in bad shape I struggled for years until I could not walk the limping threw my back out and I believe I have more damage but am waiting to do MRI until I’m healed I am unable to lay or sleep on back...I haven’t tanned on back side LOL simply cannot lay on stomach at all..I usually go to tanning bed standing up to get my back side some color....Think I got off track here..sorry

@Celle Thank you for moving thread
@Mojo333 thanks for encouragement I was able to get sleep doctor gave me something the other day I feel much more rested but much soreness this morning I wear a fit bit and I have been averaging about 2500 steps a day for weeks 4 5 / 8 9 prior to I was doing around 500 steps day...I have seen where pain can go up and down days that I can hardly get around and days where I say...WOW...This isn’t too bad!!! Found out quickly those days I have to really think about what I am doing!!! One load laundry not four...One trip to grocery.. not 4 trips in and out of car...I struggle with the car...I had someone park very close to my drivers side and didn’t think I was able to attempt getting in...LOL I thought about going back in grocery and having them paged to move their car! :tantrum:

@jwadds it does get a little rough living by yourself but I also enjoy the days where I do not feel well and can close curtains no tv and try to rest..after the first hip I had all blinds closed and door shut in hospital for my entire stay Lol...They had to give me a second nerve block in thigh when I woke in recovery I was in excruciating pain!! I can laugh about it now but phewwww had to be THE worst pain in all my surgeries..My left thigh was numb until week 6 I didn’t think I was ever gonna get feeling back..might be why I’m having discomfort after 9 weeks I dunnno... With the numbness on right...after 6 weeks the inside of my calf around back of knee is about 40 percent numb..the block they gave me on second effected my knee all down to ankle...I am not concerned with this...I know it will wake back up eventually..hope you are doing well...good luck going back to work on Monday let me know how it goes...I am planning on August 12 if all goes well Monday when I see OR

Ventured out for a few hours today the heat here is about 95, would have liked to stay out longer but after about putting half mile on the Fitbit and the hips starting to throb I made my way home. I have begun thinking about all the things I can take to work to make it workable..large ziploc bags to put my ice packs and throw some ice to keep them cold to making a list of how many capris I need in a larger size from all this swelling! Ordered a leg rest sling to attach under my desk from Amazon My mind appears to be on overload and I am trying to discipline myself to ice and elevation...Nine weeks of Netflix and Hulu...coloring books and markers and catching up on reading I want to be out running around.. this is first day I am struggling with mind over body.:beg:
I am unable to get in pool I found out last week I was able to use handrails and sit at the steps but I could not get myself up! A very nice man came over and grabbed under both arms to lift me up:angel:

:praying:Today I have my 6 week follow with OR..the pain in thigh down to knee has been around 8 the numbness on inside calf is still about 30 percent my swelling has gone down significantly if I dial back to June 23rd when my wound was infected. Urinary infection and swelling on the calf was 4 inches larger than left I have come a long way..I am concerned about this throbbing on thigh..I am clocking about mile in steps on Fitbit...I get up at 6 am eat shower make phone calls and try to get out around 11 am until about 230...I am usually tired..and get back in the recliner for the duration of day..take small breaks to sit on patio 10 minutes at time eat bathroom and I ice on and off hour at a time until I fall asleep around 10 pm.. My left side is nine weeks out and besides the soreness which isn’t bad.. because I tend to lean on it more really no complaints...pain mgt ordered lidocaine patches last Tuesday am still waiting on the insurance to approve..hopefully I get some answers today...at my 2 week FU surgeon made a comment he made have hammered me a few more times..I would think 4 weeks later I would not have so much discomfort. Not too concerned about the numbness besides how funny it feels..My left hip they had to do 2 nerve blocks on thigh and it took every bit of seven weeks to have sensations return to normal. Happy Monday...gonna rain here in Ky.. the heat has been horrible looking forward to the cool down

Doctor said due to my setbacks with infections my right hip is dragging me behind a bit..Walking a mile a day best therapy no need to worry about excercises I have been given to walk and in moderation I am trying to do errands between 11 and 2 everyday and then rest but it is too much activity it has to be broken up in intervals causing the pain in my thigh and the increase in numbness and swelling My toes are numb everyday by five but by morning they recover. I have also been put on a moderation schedule upon returning to work Aug 12 eight weeks out on the right..4..6 hours day..leg sling for desk..cane..ice for four weeks I do hope HR is accommodating as my fmla expires Aug 11...that’s 12 weeks for the left hip..which I have to say is doing wonderfully being 9 weeks out.:bored: A nice cup of coffee and pecan pie is waiting for me been a long day

Hi,
It sounds like your overdoing it most days taking into consideration you're recovering from two major surgeries, within a month of each other. You're only nine weeks out from the first THR and six weeks from the second. On top of healing from THR surgery your body had to combat a wound infection and a UTI. You need some rest to rebuild strength, stamina and to heal.

Out of curiosity, is it really necessary to run errands for three hours, every day, this early on in recovery? It may be something you could reconsider. Personally, I'd be resting up for the return to work. It's great Lefty will be twelve weeks post op, but Righty will only be eight. I think your surgeon's advice about walking being the best therapy for now is spot on. I just hope you can curtail some of the activity so you're better prepared, physically, for your return to work.
Have a great evening!
@Aline

Hey @Aline my first day back to work (morning only actually) was good, but exhausting! I wrote about it on my recovery thread. I agree with @Layla, take this time to rest before having to go back to work! I had my groceries delivered (fabulous service, which I continue to use) and really didn't do that much. If I went out in the car 3-4 times in a week that was a busy week. I walked but not that much as, like you, there's no one to help with meals, housework, gardening etc and I considered that exercise too. Make sure you are kind to yourself and take it easy! You will have lots of time, once your hips are healed, to tear around like a madwoman!:heehee:

now that my 30 days are past in Recovery was able to stop taking six different medicines..and I am feeling back to myself mind wise. I figured if I go out the door get errands done and hit the recliner elevate and ice..Tuesday and today I had doctor appts which made up half the time..breakfast with daughter.. lunch with friends.. it has become too much..I looked back on ADL again today to remind myself short 15 20 minute trips..The pain I had prior to kept me in the bed when I wasn’t working now that exhausting draining pain is gone it’s a wonderful feeling as I know this pain is temporary !! Thank you @Layla next three weeks I intend on doing things much differently I also am feeling a bit guilty to have my family do for me..they ask every other day and I tell them I’m good..I intend on changing my response to Sure.. please do!!!

A nice cup of coffee and pecan pie is waiting for me been a long day

I'm salivating @Aline! Good old Southern pecan pie. Surely good medicine! :roseshwr:

You've been through a medical wringer. Hope you continue to improve on all fronts. Great to hear fewer meds (besides pecan pie) are needed nowadays. ♥️

I wished I had found this forum and began journaling my recovery with my first THR in May..even though it went very smoothly I believe my anxiety tackling the up and downs ...I have found much comfort here.
The advise and guidance is parallel to what surgeon recommendations have been, he told me yesterday that I am well beyond most -after 6 weeks- especially with having both done weeks apart. Dialing back to second surgery June 10th....OR kept me for four days in hospital first 2 days I was only able to walk 20 feet. I was very surprised to hear considering all I have read online and also seeing people I know...The guidelines and informative information given on this site is in real time...I thank all the Advisors’s and moderators for their support I intend on doing everything in moderation it will be interesting to come back and read how my recovery will be in the following weeks with discipline
I am sore on both sides of my thighs I caught myself walking on outer sides of feet..and the familiar limping I acquired prior to..really got to work on the heel to toe
I am also relieved I got answers last night concerning my phase in hours going back to work..OS stated my work note beginning Aug 12 to Sept 6 ( FU Appt )
4 to 6 hours .. cane..ice..foot sling if they do not agree to these modifications I cannot return..
I have been fearful as my Fmla will be exhausted as of Aug 12..apparently under the ADA this is considered a reasonable request and they have to honor and no threats to the job
My daily to do list:
Be much kinder to hips..moderation..rest..elevate..ice
Short trips throughout the day..say Yes Please Do!!!:yes!:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties