TKR luvcats recovery box

@marieltha I'm glad more potassium is helping you. Nutrition has become a hobby of mine as I learned about my own food sensitivities and how that changed, and limited, what I eat. Have you seen any of the recent research about Rosacea and gluten sensitivity? It's early days but seems quite compelling. My mom has terrible Rosacea and gluten intolerance is very prevalent in our family, although only a few of us actually avoid it.

Yesterday was busy. Homecare came and took out my staples and released me from their care. It was probably about 3 days past optimal on staple removal so it was extra ouchy, but I'm glad to have them gone. It's all a little puffy today but that seems normal to me. I'm sure it will settle in a day or two.

PT also came. I was able to walk 250 ft with my walker by doing laps in my front room. lol. But that was the main 'goal' listed in the referral. I was measured at -5 on the straight, which is less than I came home with. A lot of 'gentle bend' when elevating. I just need to stretch that a bit more, easily done. And I got 103 on range of motion, a big change from my first measurement of 84. It has healed enough that the stretch feels good, especially down my quadriceps.

Today I start out patient PT. I think it will feel good to be up and moving more. My body misses walking in the pool and it will be a few more weeks before I can add that back in. I hope they are very reasonable people and will work to support my goals.

I try to keep up w the rosacea research and use rosacea.org site, and you have motivated me to do that again. Gluten sensitivity? Interesting.

When we were both first diagnosed with rosacea, we eliminated all the foods on the trigger list, then added them back, one at a time. The most surprising—and the worst trigger for both of us—is spinach!!! Some lists do not even include it. Your mom might want to try eliminating that, if she eats it. FYI, kale is okay and an easy substitute.

Others for both of us are citrus fruits (no lemon in our water; no fruit trees in our yard) and hot spices. The following can aggravate it, but we can both eat these occasionally (not 2 days in a row): tomato sauce, avocados, bananas, yogurt. He does not like the last three, so that is pretty easy. For some people, caffeine and/or two much caffeine at once can trigger flareups.

An interesting, and I find, useful, nutritional source is the zone diet by Dr Barry Sears (zonediet.com). His theory that all foods react or are processed as hormones by our bodies makes sense to me. Thus, whenever you eat, you should seek a balance of carbs, protein, and fat (40%40%30%). Too much protein makes you buzzy(mean?). Too many carbs make you sluggish. So you start noticing how balanced you feel (in the zone) after a meal. And you should not go longer than 5 hours without eating something is true for my body. Years (decades) ago, I bought some of his products, but I am now pescatarian, so I do not think I need a fish oil supplement, and I eat lots of fruit and vegetables, so I do not think I need the polyphenols. The portions of carbs are a bit restrictive, but Dr Sears says you can achieve the benefits of “the zone” if you stay in the zone at least 80% of the time. His info on the web site is all free.

Last edited:
You sound like you are recovering at a nice pace. Look forward to hearing about your PT.

Oh, you MUST give Broadchurch a go! I don’t normally watch detective stuff either, but hello...David Tenant! Besides, the whole season follows one story arc, so it’s not repetitive murders or anything. I guarantee you will enjoy it!

@luvcats Things sound like they are going well! I hear you about the pool. I miss being able to be outside in the outdoor pool and feel the sun and wind and everything. So I understand how you feel.

That's great about the staples coming out!! I'm glad things are going well for you!

@marieltha That's an interesting list of trigger foods. I haven't ever looked into it. Fortunately, I didn't inherit that. Or maybe I did and gluten avoidance makes the difference for me. There's no telling, since I'm certainly not going back to eating it. How long do they tell you to avoid trigger foods as a check? If you ever do decide to test gluten, the recommended time is 6 weeks, as opposed to the few days for the other food trials I've done. For some reason it stays in your system much longer if it's a problem. If that seems impossible, 2 weeks at the very least.

I have read the Sears books. He had a lot of good things to say. From a food sensitivity stand point you might also find The False Fat Diet by Elson Haas to be interesting. He talks a lot about bloating from food issues, and in the back there is a list of foods that are related to each other that I found invaluable.

I think food issues are so important to general health and well being. I'm apparently healing at lightning speed and while being young doesn't hurt, I'm healthier now than 20 years ago, thanks in a large part to a better understanding of nutrition and my own food sensitivities.

@snowdrop It it's one arc per season, that makes it sound a lot more intriguing. I'll put it on my list. I always want enough time to figure out all the clues on my own.

In a way, that's why I don't love mysteries. If the author does a good enough job presenting the evidence available to the Solver, I can almost always have the crime solved before the end of the book. And if the author does not make it credible to the reader after the fact, if you can't say "I can't believe I missed that clue" then I go off on a rant about authors and their abilities as story tellers, and no one likes that. lol

@ElanorG I promise you, today you are not missing anything outside! Its awful. Just leaving PT this morning I walked out the door into the full sun and it was so hot and muggy it was hard to breathe. And that was 10 am!!
Friday is supposed to be even worse, so don't you know, that's my next trip out. Ugh. I am so not a fan of our summer weather.

Thanks @Ladyala and @Benay. I hope everything keeps going so well! I have a deadline I want to meet.

PT today went very well I think. He got quite different measurements than PT did yesterday-not as good- and his were probably more accurate, but it's still good considering how early it still is. I only need to go in twice per week because I don't have too much stiffness. I have new exercises to do at home, slightly less than I was doing before, so I may continue doing those others if they feel good.

There was a little helping me achieve an optimal stretch, but he was extremely responsive to 'OW' and "slower please" so I am very encouraged. I took my anti-inflammatory right after and put my leg up for about 2 hours with ice and had a nap, and my leg isn't any more sore than it was before PT. Tonight will be the real test, but so far so good. I'm very pleased. All the stretching had that nice almost itchy barely hurt thing that you get when you're working the stiffness out of a pulled muscle.

Today was a lot of evaluation. Next time we're going to work more on my gait, and I hope he'll continue to be as responsive to the needs of my old knee as to the new one.

@mtmtoronto You posted this elsewhere, but you don't seem to have a home thread, so I'm tagging you here. You should be popping up here in recovery soon.
I also have to have my left knee done (it isn't as bad as my right knee, but has alignment issues, too). My surgeon is waiting 3 months between knees, so my left knee will be done in October/November time frame. I'm glad to have that amount of time to make sure my right knee can handle the load - especially going up and down stairs. For almost 10 years, now, I've been going down stairs one at a time on my left knee, b/c the right one is so bad. I'm going to have to take a deep breath after my surgery and initial rehab period to trust my right knee to go down stairs normally - that will be a big day and victory!

This sounds so much like my own story! Just reverse the knees. I told my PT this morning that my left leg has been on vacation for 4 years. I'm scheduled to have my 2nd knee done in September, which was the earliest my surgeon would agree to. That gives me 6 weeks to teach my new left knee how to be in charge of stairs, and climbing into the bathtub. My husband says it's going to be like teaching myself to use my non-dominant hand. I think he's right!

So tired I could cry. My brain will not sleep. Tonight I was tired at my pre-surgery normal bed time and I was so excited. I followed my normal routine. I got in bed at my normal time, I took my meds. I cuddled down in my very nice bed yawning... And then I lay there. So then I had my echo play some of my meditation music at a soothing volume. And still I lay there. I finally slept about 2 hours from midnight until 2, then I needed a trip to the loo and now I can't get back to sleep.

Daytimes I'm off everything but my pre-surgery dose of tramadol, which I need for my pre-op leg anyway. I don't really feel that pain is what is keeping me up, but I just took an oxycodone to see if it will help. It's been several days since I got a good chunk of sleep.

I'll give the drugs about 15 minutes and try going back to bed.

Sorry you're having a hard time sleeping, but this will also pass. It's hard to live through it, but little by little it will improve. I can't help but wonder if PT today (well, yesterday now) has something to do with it. You may have overdone a bit without realizing it, your leg may be a little more swollen internally or externally, or both, which is a form of pain even though your brain may not recognize it as pain, and that may be why you're having a hard time going to sleep. Or, it could just be part of the roller coaster. Whatever the cause, I hope you can settle back in soon.

There was a little helping me achieve an optimal stretch

Be careful to not allow a PT to stretch or push on your leg this early. It won't help, and may hurt you. Also, remember, any measurement you get while a PT is pushing or pulling your leg is meaningless-the only measurement that counts is one you get on your own. I wouldn't even worry so much about the numbers right now anyway-concentrate on recovering and icing/elevating to get your swelling down. But if you do let them measure you, know that your numbers will vary from day to day as you move around more and your swelling goes up, or you spent a lot of time icing for a few days so the numbers improve for a while, etc. Eventually the swelling will dissipate and your ROM will surprise you. Plus, the numbers will vary from one person measuring you to the next, so don't stress over the numbers.

Thanks @lovetocookandsew. I was already having trouble days before PT so it probably isn't that. I didn't perceive any more pain yesterday than I did the day before PT so I'm not too concerned about overdoing.

The pushing for extension doesn't feel great, so I'm not worrying about that, but the slight help with flexion actually felt good under the discomfort at the incision. My quads are so knotted getting help with a stretch felt really good and the muscles had less discomfort today.

I expect it's just part of the roller coaster. And I have trouble sleeping well normally, although usually I get a few solid hours in between 9 and 2.

It's just starting to add up. I can't nap either. I'm just spending a some time every day just laying in bed drifting, which is at least restful.

It's been an hour. I'm going to try going back to bed.

I did go back to bed and got a good solid hour and a half complete with dream about cooking interesting things before my cat went off at our normal 5:30.

I suspect that my brain is distressed by pain, but it is sooooo much less than last week that I don't really notice it while awake. Tonight I'll take an oxycodone before bed and see what happens. I urgently need the sleep.

Man, your sleeping woes sound a lot like my own! I feel that the day to day recovery stuff would be easy peasy if I could just get more rest. I have found that getting the timing of the right pain meds helps a lot. One trick I have for falling asleep is starting to listen to an old time radio play at bedtime (love the vintage detective and sci-fi ones) as I never seem to be able to make it to the end of one without nodding off! My wife and I now joke about them being sleep aids! We have a comfy couch outside in our backyard gazebo and with the summer weather, I have had a few nice afternoon naps out there. I think the nature sounds and different setting helped. Good luck!

Last edited:
Hello @luvcats : not sleeping is extremely frustrating. I believe that most of us deal with sleeplessness to one degree or another. I had to do things to distract my mind. I would start to think about not sleeping which would guarantee that I would stay awake. I had the most luck reading. I must have started reading the same few pages dozens of times - waking up with the book in my lap.

Good luck

Because of the nerves perhaps, my legs after each surgery would not tolerate even a sheet over them. Only this week am I sleeping w my legs under a sheet—4 months!
Having said that, leaving your feet uncovered encourages sleep as your core warms up when your feet send a “We’re cold” message.
Worth a try.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Hip4life
    Staff member since January 6, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GordieO