Standard Shoulder Replacement Now it’s my shoulders

Hello Layla and Atkinson8
Sorry for my late reply.
I agree I too didn’t know how mean Osteoarthritis could be, the pain is through the roof very often, a hip is bad enough then our shoulder starts really kicking off. I’m not looking forward to more surgery either,but if I could have it done tomorrow I’d say”Yes please!” Trouble is both my shoulders are almost useless now. You good folk in USA are stuck without health insurance. We have the NHS here in UK, but through government cuts the NHS is struggling to cope. If you’re well off and pay for the operation etc you’re OK here....but a lot of us Brits aren’t well off. I see the consultant June 25th.I hope all goes well with you and the Health Insurance etc.,

@Ursula72 So sorry you have to play the waiting game for so long. Hang in there and do keep us updated. We are with you all the way!

Lots of good wishes coming your way my friend!:console2:

Sorry it's going to take a while for your surgery. Waiting is so rough, but it will be worth it.

Don't believe all the stories you read about people here in the states not having insurance. Most do have some help through an insurance policy. We actually see very few people on the forum who are totally without the ability to get their joints replaced. Some may have to wait like you are, but at least they can have the surgery.

@Ursula72 I am very fortunate to have excellent insurance through my former employer - a retirement benefit :) Plus government Medicare which picks up most of what insurance does not cover. My insurance is through a big HMO (health maintenance organization - insurance plus they run their own clinics and hospitals). My out of pocket costs for each surgery was minimal - $5 copay for office visits and $5 copay for prescriptions and an extra $75 after hips for a special ride home. Despite all that I had to wait a long time for my surgeries ... about 6 months for hips (from appt with surgeon to actual trip to the OR), about 7 months for first shoulder and almost a whole year for 2nd shoulder! First two were just scheduling issues for very busy orthopedic surgical department. 2nd shoulder was exacerbated because the HMO was losing surgeons right and left. This is not a problem limited to my state or my HMO. There is a crying need for doctors and surgeons especially all over the US. Plus with the "baby boomers" generation getting old, joint replacement surgeries are being done more and more frequently.

I sincerely hope you do not have a long wait once you've seen the consultant!!

Hello folks....thanks for the info about medical care and insurance in the USA. I know it’s best to have insurance where you are, but I’m glad your country looks after people who need joint replacements etc.,
It sounds as if your country are stretched for medical staff too as it is over here in UK.
I’m a baby boomer too.
I wish I had taken out Health Insurance when I was younger and fit.
I’m surprised also just how many late 30’s to 50’s people need joint replacements.
Until the joint replacement thing happens to you you find out just how many people are having joints replaced.
I’m 73 but I’m still learning
Bless you all my joint replacement friends

Yep, you're exactly right. We need more doctors here, especially in the many rural areas. Big city hospitals have no problem recruiting physicians. That's much more difficult in the smaller communities. Some areas and insurance companies are trying telemedicine and it has a lot of promise.

Good luck w your shoulders!

I’m recovering from shoulder RCR surgery in late May , and my OS says I will likely need it replaced in 10+years. Osteoarthritis and tendon issues. So I am also reading the shoulder replacement threads.

Has anyone had good results w food modifications for osteoarthritis? Sugar and white potatoes (nightshade veg) aggravate mine.

Hello everyone I went to an appointment with the consultant at the hospital, after xrays etc., they gave me a choice of a nerve block for my shoulders or operation...I chose a nerve block....so far the shoulder is still stiff and painful,I feel disappointed, I have another appointment on Monday for a nerve block on the other shoulder or the choice to have surgery if the blocks haven’t worked...I’m trying to wheedle my way out of surgery being the wimp I am. Has anyone had a nerve block that was unsuccessful,or does it take awhile to kick in ?

Hello Atkinson8, I have had 4 Physio appointments at the hospital,when I received my first appointment letter it stated I had An appointment with Mr.Ashwood the upper limb surgeon, but when I arrived at the appointment I was met by the head physio who worked closely with Mr. Ashwood. To cut a long story short, I’ve had physio,and a nerve block which was useless,and tried out with dumbbells,I bought myself some dumbbells and I did use them faithfully for a month,but my shoulda still,popped cracked and crunched.I have another appointment in two weeks to see the physio. It seems my doctor, and my private doctor and the physio all are putting me off surgery because at my age (73)it’s a long gruesome recovery especially as my other shoulder is shot too.I wish you all the best for your shoulder operation,with your good outlook on your soon to be operation I feel all will be well for you. And yes, Osteoarthritis to me is a complain

Sorry Ursula, but I can relate. I’ve had both knees and both hips replaced and now must have both shoulders replaced. I tried arthroscopic surgery on my shoulders to remove the bone spurs and arthritis, but the pain was back within a year. The new surgeon says he will do a bone-saving replacement now (I’m 67) but my rotator cuff will require a reverse by the time I’m in my 80s. Good grief! I hope my knees and hips hold up longer than these shoulders! Next Monday I get my third and last cervical injection and ablation so my neck should be ok for a year. This getting old is only for us strong of heart.

@Ursula72 ... how are those shoulders doing? Are you any closer to having one or both replaced?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom