THR AJinNH’s recovery RTHR

Hey @Mojo333 you’re looking good! How have you been? Thanks for your support, as always.

I feel so amazing I needed to share my journey, because it does take time and effort. But it’s worth it. A few months ago I couldn’t roll over in bed without excruciating back pain and now it’s gone. I worked hard, and continue to do the work required to maintain a healthy back.

I’ve heard people say that you can’t get rid of OA pain with PT and exercise. Yes you can! My hip needed to be replaced, but the rest of my 64 yo body parts are responding to PT, stretching and exercise and I’m very grateful.

:) :-) (:I am also about to embark on some PT for my back..
Starting Monday:tada:
What a coincidence and good to know it os helping.
I feel very safe after 2 years with great new hips!

Good luck with your back PT @Mojo333 it works as long as you do all of the stretches and exercises at home too. My stretches can take over a half hour to complete, so I just pick a time when I might be watching TV and lie on the floor and do my stretches. Better than sitting on the sofa. I get to the gym twice a week for the strength training exercises they gave me. If I stick to that routine I know I’m good. If I don’t continue this routine I’d be looking at cortisone shots in my back. No thanks! I’m so much more active now, I hope you have the same results.
Good luck!

Thanks..
I do hope I get similar results.
Isn't particularly helpful that I routinely do a lot of heavy lifting at my job...my SI joint is what annoys me while sitting or laying.
I know I need to strengthen my core and lose some of the fifteen lbs I've gained since surgery.:unsure:
Encouraging to hear you've had good results.:happydance:
Now I'm going to move furniture:shrug:

Hey hippie friends! Just thought I'd pop in and say hello, my 18 month hipaversary is coming up in a couple of days. I feel it's important to follow up with the good stuff. I've been doing great, my replaced hip is fantastic, feels like new again. I've been keeping up with my Back Boot Camp home program and that has continued to work great. I can't tell you how many people told me that I can't fix OA with physical therapy, but I can tell you that it does indeed work wonders, especially when it's done right AND you continue the program at home. My back has been great, I have now increased my activity to where I'm doing a physical activity most days, either aerobic or strength training. I've also lost 30 pounds between diet and exercise, so that helps the OA as well.
I'm still lugging around 64 year old parts (with the exception of my new hip), so there will always be some stiffness and aches, but boy have they decreased to the point that it's a non-issue.
My words of wisdom to you are to MOVE! You'll feel so much better. I know it's hard, but it does work. I spend approximately 40 minutes most days just doing stretches. While I'd rather be doing something else, and I have lots of excuses, not doing them equals a lot of pain and sleepless nights.
I hope everyone is doing well xxxooo

Happy Eighteen Month Anniversary!
Hey old friend! :wave:What a wonderful update. It's great that both your hip and back are doing well.
Congrats on the weight loss, an added bonus. You make a good point about aging body parts. It's seems so many lose sight that some of the achy stiffness we feel is just that....an aging body. Thanks for sharing what works for you. I'm sure it will work for any who make the effort to work in the daily exercise that is so beneficial to mind, body....general health overall.
I hope you have a lovely Autumn. Visit us again, it was nice to hear from you!
@AJinNH

Nice to hear from you @Layla it always cheers me up. How are you doing? And Mom? I hope the two of you are enjoying the beautiful Fall weather as well.

@AJinNH so glad to read that your work on core stability is helping you. Years ago I had months of PT for spinal issues. Core stability was a big part of these sessions. It does work! I will always have back pain but as you say - just keep moving and build core strength. Well done!

:wave:@AJinNH

:) Much better with my back too...completely quit hurting when I smashed my foot the other day:heehee:
The PT and the new stretches I do every day have been super helpful:ok:

Hello @AJinNH
I'm doing well. Thank you for asking. My mom was also well until she fell the other day and broke her ankle.
She was only down for a couple days though and is back at it already! Can you see me shaking my head, lol. :hairpulling:

The weather here has been crazy. Beautiful blue skies, fall like temps 60s-70s but yesterday and today sunny and HOT. I mean 87F which is not unheard of mid September, but not the norm. I love the cooler temps and the gorgeous colors that Autumn brings. Probably not to the extent you see in your area, but I'm sure pretty close. I LOVE IT!
Take care and stop by on occasion, always a pleasure to hear from you and know how you're doing. :friends:

Such a wonderful report! I'm so glad to hear that your back is doing so well. It seems counterintuitive to some degree, bit I have more stiffness when I haven't exercised that when I have!

I'll be in your general neck of the woods next month. My sister and I are taking my mother (my real one, not the one I share with Layla) to Boston and then by Amtrak up to Portland. ME - leaf peaking and generally having a fun girl's weekend (extended variety). Let me know if there are any "must do's" while we're in the area!

I spy :capn:
It sounds like you‘re doing fabulous from a post I just read elsewhere.
Happy to hear it and to hear from you.
Stay strong, safe and well. Happy Spring!
@AJinNH

Hello all of my hipster friends and newbies! It's been several months since I checked in. My 2 year hipaversary was last week, the 19th. I meant to check in then, but there's been a few distractions around here lately as I'm sure you're all experiencing as well.
I'm doing well and continue to get relief from the PT program I started last year for my back. At that time I was concerned that my left hip was going the way of my right and that the thigh pain in my replaced hip indicated a problem with the stem. As many of you know, it turned out to be referred pain from the OA in my back. I'm pretty good about doing the exercises a few times a week and the stretches daily. If I slack too long the pain is a reminder that it won't take long to come back.
I've lost a bunch of weight, 50 lbs of my post HR weight. I'm a very slim and healthy weight. Shopping for clothes is actually fun now, sometimes a little TOO much fun $$$. I am insulin resistant and was pre-diabetic, that has been reversed. I also had GERD from all of the NSAIDs I took prior to HR, and although they told me I'd be on those meds forever for that, I no longer need them.
I find that my hip/back pain stays pretty much at bay as long as I stretch and stay active and don't sit too long. If I don't I start having thigh, groin and back pain, very powerful reminders.
I also have OA in my R shoulder and just completed a PT program for that, so those daily exercises have been added to my routine. I didn't experience the dramatic improvement with my shoulder that I did with the back PT, but I guess that's the way shoulders go. It's manageable as long as I persist with the stretches and exercises at home.
I am praying for our global health right now and hope that you are all staying home and staying healthy.
xxxooo

Hi @Layla ! so nice to hear from you. How're you doing? The BS community has been on my mind and I just had to drop by and say Hello. These are trying times for us all and chronic pain doesn't help. I thought if I let people know that sometimes post-op pain has a relatively simple solution that it might help someone the way it did for me. It was a life changer for me.
So good to hear from you!

What a nice update, but am sorry to hear about the OA striking in various other areas.. it's a sneaky criminal, the way it attacks!
It's so nice when alumni return and post, it gives all of us hope and boy, do we need that right now!
:):SUNsmile:

Hello and Happy Monday @AJinNH
I’m doing well, thanks for asking. We’re happy you stopped by to say Hello!
Thanks for your update as I’m sure it will inspire many. I hope you continue to do well and your shoulder doesn’t get any worse. Stay healthy in these crazy days we’re navigating.
Big Hugs to you :friends:

Hi @CricketHip nice to meet you! Although I do seem to have OA everywhere, I'm in less pain that I have been in years, and it's all do to the stretching and exercises that I do. No OTC meds for me! Moving is the key. I walk outdoors when possible, typically 2.5 to 3 mile walks, and the rest of the time on my elliptical at home as well as specific exercises with weights and bands. It can be a bother, but then I remind myself that a year ago I couldn't change position in bed without being in excruciating pain, now I sleep like a baby (mostly, and when I don't it has nothing to do with pain). Between the weight loss and renewed ability to move without pain I feel 20 years younger, despite the presence of OA!

Such great news! I'm glad you're doing so well!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Nosila
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom