THR One woman, two hips , one week

Thanks @Layla this forum really helping keep me in check . I hope you have s great weekend .

I can’t believe I did two hips this close together either ! Glad I did though all done now just have to be sensible and patient to heal .

@cornishgal I sympathize as I had very painful shin splints too (at least I called it that). I just realize reading your post that mine are finally gone! I was icing my hip, knee, shin, ankle as pain was in all those spots. I’m afraid I never determined the cause. I was bruised down my shin, but this was more sharp pain. My PT was puzzled.

I just had my 4 week checkup and got rid of my bandage. New discomfort from my incision exposed. Yesterday I drove for the first time, went to the local fabric store then I picked up meds at the Vetrinarian for my dog. By night I was feeling “log leg” and new pains further to the side of my hip. I turned my foot slightly when I was in bed and felt groin pain. This morning the side hip pain is there but I’m moving ok with my cane. I wasn’t sure why this excursion taxed me so, but realize last outings were with my walker, and quicker. So it sure is a winding road and with you having both hips done- I am very impressed with your stamina.

The isolation you have mentioned is surely the hardest part now for me. I have some commitments coming up in ten days that worry me, but I’m hoping I’ll turn another corner before then. Hang in there! It is a comfort here, (my daughter said in a text that she thinks I need to push myself more. I just laughed to myself... she hasn’t seen me and must picture me being wimpy. If it weren’t for this forum I might have felt guilty.). My son is getting married in October and I look forward to much less discomfort by then!

Hope you get some relief and do any little thing that makes you happy. (I look at my growing begonias and my dogs :yes:).

Thankyou @Rbc , your dog looks lovely is he or she a poodle. I agree it’s the little things that make you happy and my dog and new crazy kitty cat are two bundles of furry joy . It’s bern great weather so enjoying the flowers in my garden and watching tennis on the tv.

I’m sure by October you will be able to enjoy your sons wedding . You sound like your doing so well driving well done and I agree seem to have a new niggle or concern each day ...but nothing compared to my nasty hip pain so I am so grateful for that. I am soon learning that unless you have had this operation then there is no way anyone can tell you to push yourself more . This website has helped with that as we are all on different parts of this journey to have healthy and active hips and only we know or find out what our own limits are .
Having friends over tonight which will be lovely as going stir crazy all day as everyone working during the week !!! Onwards and upwards have a great weekend with little or no pain .

@cornishgal enjoy your company tonight! I’ve only had lunch with a friend since surgery, if I were well it probably wouldn’t seem like long. I really miss laughing with people. I’m glad my husband’s working so he gets a break from me. And going to PT, at least I see people!
That is my Bedlington Terrier Olive in my photo, I have another, Ziggy, and two Maine Coon Cats. Lots of furry Joy here too!

Love Maine coons @Rbc i have the opposite a little black and white kitten called Maisy she was a runt of the litter and I don’t think she will grow much bigger. I’m the same boat my partners at work and I’m here going a bit stir crazy stir crazy at times and there is only so much Netflix a girl can watch . I am enjoying the tennis so that’s a treat . I am a Federer fan so hope he wins this weekend will have my strawberries and pimms at the ready and settle down in front of the telly and pretend I’m there lol. Pets are the best therapy and it looks like you have some fantastic furry carers in your home with nurse Ziggy and Dr olive not to mention the Maine coon physios . Have a good weekend pain free and hopefully with a few laughs .

Hey...it's Righty's big day. :yes:
Happy One Month Anniversary!
Hope you're having a lovely weekend! :SUNsmile:
@cornishgal

Thankyou @Layla weather been lovely here enjoying Wimbledon and taking it down a notch as had shin discomfort which is beginning to ease thanks to @Mojo333 advice .
I hope you are having a fab weekend too with some lovely weather .

:wave:I'm super happy that things are easing up a bit.
Hope today is a Good Day. :flwrysmile:

Yep my double hip friend @Mojo333 it looking it will be , had a little walk no shin aches or pains in the garden icing strange feeling, cold bum and hot rest of body . Well life’s about new experiences lol Thankyou and have a great weekend yourself !

@cornishgal I just caught up with your thread. Wow - sounds like you are doing great! It's such a good feeling when you have both hips done isn't it! Here's to getting your life back.

Thanks @Jaycey yes it does feel good. Today I went into town for the first time and managed to go around one store with a friend . Had a little walk outside and thanks to @Mojo333 advice shin pain now has nearly disappeared. I mainly blame myself for that as I started walking in the house without crutches. When I say walking all my fellow hipsters will know at this stage looks like more of a woddle than a walk .
Having friends and family over tomorrow for my birthday . Really excited to see everyone especially my dear old mum bless her .

Happy Birthday tomorrow @cornishgal ! Celebrate the beginning of a new life without hip pain!

Happy Birthday and we're all allowed to celebrate early if we want!
:cheers:

96520410-happy-birthday-hip-hip-hooray-greeting-card-with-balloons-and-cake-birthday-vector.jpg

You are doing splendidly my double hippy pal!
Hope today is a good day!

Hello thought I would check in with progress report .
Firstly Thankyou for birthday messages I had a fab day with family and friends .
Yesterday had my 6 week post op check mainly all good went through what I can and cannot do . Can never cross legs again or internally rotate hip must bend out at knees when picking up items from floor . But that’s ok small price to pay for other benefits . It seems in the uk we have more life long restrictions it might be thaw prosthetic has a tiny ball and as my bones are tiny as I am 5ft 2 .
On positive side lifted 90 degree restriction so bye bye all that cool furniture and I can drive , but I will test pedals first to get a feel of how my muscles work . Oh and with pillow can sleep on side but to be honest used to sleeping on my back now ! Nice to master a skill in recovery lol !
Pleased with wound I must say they are fab and hips perfectly even again super stuff.
I mentioned about my on off boggle with right calf pain he gave it a good squidge and reassured me it will settle .
My gait he said was terrible still pegged leg encouraged me to bend more in the knee and take longer strides asked about physio as thought would see again but I was discharged after one session . That session I was basically told exercises and use own judgement of when to titrations down from crutches then flip them around to use as canes and then one cane with weaker leg which will be my right leg at the moment. So he’s referred me to physio I hope we can talk about my gait and retrain it then .
So mostly good news my legs feel so sting in quads and would love to progress with getting rid of aids but I really need to get rid of this shin and calf ache first so being good but I feel mobility progress wise I am going backwards .. darn shin/ calf hurry up get better the rest of me wants to go out and get things done !
I will see him in a further six weeks my aim will be to walk in with a fabulous gait ... here’s hoping ...
I’m the meantime any advice on how to walk with out a wobble or peg leg greatly received .

Oh my lord predictive text !
Should be might be that the prosthetic....
Struggle not boggle
Titrate not titrations
Strong not sting !

:heehee: My thread was/is so rife with typos due to this issue....
DAC! Was my oath...basically, Darned Auto Correct:sigh:

Re your gait...I know you are concentrating on heel to toe walking...which seriously can stress your calves and shins when we have all that time of bad gait.
I would do the equivalent of ankle pumps when sitting after walking to keep muscles from getting too tight and before getting up might help.

Honestly, you will need to keep your patience muscle flexed..
Time is going to be the answer on this one.
Dont overdo as this will not bring improvement faster.
Still early days....I'm sure this doesn't feel helpful but don't roll your eyes at me.:skep:
:heehee:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom