THR 30 days and still recovering <

How do I put a picture in that box?

Ok, question, how many weeks in are you all switching from the walker to a cane? I think I can, but I have a slight limp, are we suppose to wait until the is no limp?

Hi Marvin,
Following is an article on posting an avatar (photo)
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/how-to-post-an-avatar.14727/

If you feel comfortable try it! I switched over from walker to cane on day 11-12 post op. I practiced several times each day increasing my time with the cane. I still had a limp and practiced heel-toe walking -
Try heel-toe walking when / if you're limping. Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes.
It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

Take it slow. Have a nice Wednesday!
@Marvin L

Just a thought...
Consider a new thread title.
Your title may be limiting who stops by your thread. Many who are further along most likely won't even look at a thread that says "12 days after surgery"
It's up to you...

I tried, can I just change my heading, to 30 days and still have questions.

Can you change my heading to 30 days and still recovering, please.

Well it’s 4 weeks today, When I get out of bed, still have some pins n needles, it is getting better, Thank God, but my calves have serious cramping, gets better after moving around. I could get my walker downstairs on my own, for my morning walk, so decided to just do it with the cane, and it wasn’t that bad , did my walk around the block and not to sore. So I will be switching to cane. This is a big deal to me. How long after switching to cane, before can go to nothing? How long for you all? Thanks for any replies.

@Marvin L the switch from cane to nothing occurs at different times for everyone. You will know ... I dropped the cane fully sometime around Week 9 ... but ... I got off the walker about about ten days ... so that was about 7 weeks of me using the cane. Again, the best guideline is to just pay attention to how you're feeling and moving.

What you can do ... and don't rush of course ... is when you're using the cane ... occasionally just hold the cane in your hand and walk freely for a few steps ... I did that ... and gradually increased the number of steps I could take without the cane--and without limping! You'll get there.

Thank you. Any suggestion on the calf cramps. Can we stretch at 4 weeks?
I appreciate this site, a lot of insight reading different stories.

@Marvin L, I used my walker for about 6 weeks before I was able to make the switch so you're doing well! When I first started using the cane I'd get tired by the end of the day and would use my walker instead. The important thing is to use one or the other until you're walking correctly again with no limp. Hope you enjoy your holiday tomorrow!

Hi Marvin,
Your thread title will be changed soon.

I'm happy to read the pins and needles sensation seems to be easing. That's wonderful news!

Transitioning from walker to cane varies from person to person, as does walking without an assistive device.
I transitioned from walker to cane at about 11-12 days post op, then used the cane for approx another week. You will hear various timelines here, but need to do what's comfortable for you. Most realize it's time to lose the cane once they find themselves forgetting about it and walking away from it.

Consider Magnesium for the leg cramps if they continue or are bothersome. Many have used it successfully.
Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

I hope you have a great 4th of July!
@MarvinL

Thank you, which type of magnesium, there are so many glycinate, sterate, and a couple more?
Happy 4th, to everybody.

Based on Layla’s recommendation I went with Magnesium Glycinate. It causes fewer bowel issues. I’ve had no trouble with it.

Thanks, I will add magnesium glycinate. I’m walking with cane outside, which I am so excited about. Walking for 30 minutes , it feels good to be outside. When I wake up , still have the pins n needles, but it gets a little better every day. This recovery is quite a journey. How long before we can break the 90 degree rule, I wish I could bend over to tie my shoes and put lotion on feet. Also, anybody able to get a pedicure, get up into those chairs at a nail place?

Good Morning, Marvin
Yes, Glycinate here too. It's what I've used for the reasons shared with (ceezee) above.

You should follow your surgeon's advice on 90 degree restrictions.
Not all surgeon's impose restrictions these days. Mine didn't.

Please check with your OS before visiting a nail salon. There can be a risk of infection at nail salons.
If they nick you with the nail clippers, or if you have open skin it poses a danger. I've heard the tubs they soak your feet in are the biggest offender. They supposedly sanitize them but the germs / bacteria lies in the tubes that the water travels through to drain them. Try it yourself, you may be surprised. I sit at the kitchen table and put my feet on a small collapsible footstool. It was a bit of a strain initially but gets easier with time.

It's great to read you've been out walking with a cane and enjoying it.
Happy 4th of July!
@Marvin L

On Monday I finally got my first pedicure since my surgery. So that was around 6 weeks. I probably could have gone the week before. What timing works for you might be entirely different. I got the okay from my OS to take a bath, go in a pool, or have a pedicure.

I was absolutely sure I didn’t have any cuts or abrasions on my feet or legs.

I very carefully checked out the best place to go. Plastic liner in foot bowl that is replaced for each client, sterilized packet for all instruments including a new piece they use to buff your calluses, etc. I also asked for no cuticle cutting or nail cutting. I had them use an emery board. Getting into the chair was easy. This place has plenty of room to maneuver. They even had a nearby place to put my walking stick. My left leg is still not entirely happy with putting it up by itself but it did it. I leaned the chair back, turned on the massage and really relaxed.

I’m being super careful because I have a second hip surgery coming up in less than a month and don’t want anything to stop it. And I’m not getting another one before then.

Edit: I keep remembering things... they also have a water sanitation system to keep the water clean.

Last edited:
I don't like to belabor this subject but feel remiss in not sharing. It's definitely a personal choice and decision. I'd love to feel safe in going to a nail salon. I'd like nothing more than to sit in a comfy massage chair while soaking my feet and chatting with a friend while someone gives me a mani / pedi. I've done it before (THR) but unless things change, I won't risk it since my surgery.

What I've read is that the danger lies in the filtration system, not the basin itself. We often have microscopic cuts we're unaware of. I've also read that the filtration system is the breeding ground for mycrobacterium, which can produce boils, warts, MRSA, athletes foot, toenail fungus and HPV. All of the aforementioned thrive in a warm wet environment. The solution is a pipeless drainage system tub since the bacteria breeds in the pipes.

As I mentioned it's a personal choice. My surgeon cautioned against patronizing nail salons which led to researching it. Like anything else, we need to do our own research, come to our own conclusion and feel comfortable with our decision.

I would like to look into (ceezee's) info on the water sanitation system to see if that would remedy the filtration system issue. If it's effective in completely sanitizing the pipes, that would be wonderful!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom