PKR Surgeon Locator

If you'd like to include my full surgical history on my signature....

Right knee - Patella Realignment - January 1978
Left knee - Lateral Release - January 1982
Right knee - Arthroscopic debridement - Summer 2002
Right knee - Partial Knee Replacement - March 7, 2018
Left knee - Partial Knee Replacement - May 23, 2019

I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, hence the crappy knees. The first time I dislocated my (right) knee was June 1974.

@Jamie Celle suggested I tag you to add the information on my surgeon for your database.

My surgeon is Dr. David Golden. He is affiliated with Cedars Sinai in Los Angeles. If you have a rating system, I would give him the highest rating available.

200 N Robertson Blvd.
Suite 205
Beverly Hills, CA 90211
Tel: (310) 385-3326
https://bio.csmc.edu/view/3589/David-B-Golden.aspx

Some additional history for my signature. I actually dislocated my right knee five times. June 1974, September 1974, August 1976, October 1977 and January 1978. The last one was the day before I went into the hospital for my first surgery.

Thanks, @lm945. I'll pass your surgeon's information on to our IT folks so he can get added to the Joint Surgeon Locator. Check back on the Locator in a week or so and he should be there so you can leave your review.

I appreciate you helping us get the good surgeons locked in to our search tool. Be sure and let Dr. Golden know about us and the Locator. He needs to log on and claim his profile. Plus he has an option to subscribe to additional services that will bring more patients to his practice.

I’m having a problem I’ve never experienced before. I could use a little advice.

I am 5 weeks post left PKR. The incision is still a little sensitive to the touch, but improving. It’s also beginning to itch, which means it’s healing.

The problem is a small area just to the right of the incision. I’m getting periodic stabbing pain across the skin. Even a slight breeze across it is painful.

This is my sixth lifetime surgery, fifth on my knees. This post surgical response is a new one.

Has anyone else had this happen?

I have been having similar issues. I am also 5 weeks post left Pkr. I had just my kneecap replaced. I have noticed that some times the incision tends to be more sensitive than others. My cat’s tail brushing across my knee can almost feel like it’s burning. Then there is the random stabbing pains. I get it on both sides of my scar. I don’t know what it is, but I just attribute it to the nerve healing. Best of luck with the rest of your recovery!

Those pains are what we call "zingers" and they occur as the nerves are reattaching themselves. It's part of the healing process and very normal. The sensitivity is normal as well. It can be helped by massaging your skin to help desensitize the area. You can also wear a sleeve on your knee if you need to to sleep or wear clothing that covers the incision area. Some people have also had good luck wrapping their knee with Glad cling wrap at night (or during the day if you aren't too active). There is something about the heat generated and the light covering that can make a difference in how sensitive the skin is.

My surgeon has asked me to come in next week, a week ahead of schedule for my next check up. Hopefully you are correct about what's causing this, but I appreciate that he's taking my complaint seriously. It's just odd that I've never experienced this before.

BTW, after my right PKR last year, my sister came up with the perfect solution for incision chafing. Put a sock on it. I found some men's bamboo wide calf socks on Amazon. I cut off the foot and slipped it on. It doesn't stop the zingers, but my incision is grateful.

What a good idea about the sock. I never would have thought of that!

My sister is brilliant. BTW, stick with the bamboo. It’s much softer than cotton.

I was going to ask if the bamboo was soft. Thanks!

These are the ones I use. Very comfortable, not too heavy.

If you choose to make any purchases through Amazon (not just this item, but ANYTHING you buy), sign up for the smile.amazon program. This allows you to have Amazon donate a small portion of your purchase to BoneSmart. You pay nothing extra! You get products you want and we get help to keep BoneSmart up and running. Here is a link to smile.Amazon:

About smile.amazon

Be sure when you sign up that you designate our parent non-profit organization, The Foundation for the Advancement in Research in Medicine, Inc. (FARM). Any funds go directly to BoneSmart through them and you are allowed to take a tax donation deduction.

Last edited:
I am 3 months post left PKR. For the most part, my recovery is going well. Certainly faster than my right knee, which I had done last year.

I'm having one problem which I need some advice on. My range of motion is back to normal (meaning greater than average, given my Ehlers Danlos). The swelling has subsided considerably. However, I still have one pocket of swelling on the interior side of my knee which refuses to budge. My therapist thinks this is blocking nerve signals, and is why I'm having trouble regaining muscle strength.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to target a localized pocket of swelling? I don't want to have it drained if I can avoid it.

BTW, my medical history on my thread is incomplete. I had a total of five dislocations of my right knee: June '74, September '74, August '76 (also hemorrhaged), November '77, January '78. The last was the day before I want into the hospital for my first knee surgery.

However, I still have one pocket of swelling on the interior side of my knee which refuses to budge. My therapist thinks this is blocking nerve signals, and is why I'm having trouble regaining muscle strength.
At 3 months post op you are still going to have some swelling. I did for months.

I had my left knee done ( also a PKR) and I get a little pocket of swelling on the inside of my knee, too, even now at 2.5 years later.

You are “having trouble” regaining muscle strength because you are still healing, you’re only 25% healed at this point. Give it time. :flwrysmile:

@CricketHip may be able to make some suggestions about lymphatic massage for that pocket of swelling. I've tagged her for you. I'll make a modification to your signature to reflect that you had multiple dislocations prior to your surgery.

Hi @lm945
I just read over your recovery thread and wondering if you’re familiar with Manual Lymph Drainage? It’s a very gentle modality that helps with stubborn swelling.
I would suggest you try to find a certified MLD therapist to address that pocket of fluid.
You've had multiple surgeries and there may be some inflammation or scarring (even a tiny, minimal amount can affect the gentle lymph flow) that is inhibiting the fluid’s path away from your knee.

Usually you can find a MLD therapist in a physical therapy office or in a massage therapy office- in either case its an additional bit of training to become certified and its wise to inquire into their training. The Vodder method is the most recommended, their training and protocols are very effective— can you tell I ‘m a big fan? :heehee:
Sometimes just 2-3 sessions can make a big difference.

So! I hope this helps, and want to add that our beloved nurse director and forum administrator Josephine, uses this therapy for her knees and recommends it heartily.

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks