Revision THR My RTHR journey and the road back to an active life.

Tomorrow Marks 3 weeks since my RTHR, so thought I’d post a recovery update.

So after great progress the first week and a half, I developed pain in my thigh and then swelling that moved from my thigh to my ankle over the course of a few days. Then swelling went away as did the thigh pain. PT progressed well and no problems and leg was getting stronger. My exuberance with my progress led me to vacuum the house....big mistake and paid for it the remainder of the day and the next, but ice and elevation helped. I am using a cane and working with the PT, who is excellent and not pushing me too much, on incorporating some new exercises to help me condition the muscles needed to walk unassisted. Well yesterday I walked around the house a bit just holding my cane in case I needed it. Pain when full weight bearing was maybe a 3. Later in the day I went to Costco and walked a lot and pushed the cart (sort of used it like a walker). Got home and apparently again overdid it again and had to ice and rest the remainder of the day. Today I am taking it easy at home and not pushing it.

Moral of the story, don’t let your enthusiasm for making progress lead you to do too much too soon, because you will pay for it afterward. I suspect everyone has this happen at some point and it’s a bit depressing when it does and you have a bad day or two recovering. I am still trying to figure out the right balance between pushing forward and holding back.

Post op appt & X-ray is next week, so hopefully will get a thumbs up that all is well. Have a great day everyone!

@CPH Good to see your update but sorry to see you joined the ODIC (over did it club)! The vacuuming and Costco trip was just enough to make you a member. It probably didn't seem too bad when you were doing it but then boom. It is hard to find the right balance but you'll get there! If you check out the Activity Progression link that Pumpkin sent you (2nd post of your recovery thread), you're a little ahead of the game. Just get your rest while you can, slow and steady. Overall it sounds like you're doing well! :flwrysmile:

Reactions: CPH
Re-read the post you referenced. Great reminder!

@CPH You are 1 week ahead of me. I'm still using my walker, but I'm not sure if it's walking me or I'm walking it. :heehee: plus all the bags tied to it with my stuff and what will I do without it??? :heehee: I'm showering, making my own bfast, lunch, and even my supper last night. I still am stiff and have sore spots. I get tired really fast and am not sleeping good yet.
I could see myself vacuuming just the middle of the room:heehee:, no I would keep going like you. We want to get back to normal, understandable. Ugggg. I want to wash some windows inside while my husband does the outside....oh I see so many things I want to do...but my fatigue keeps me grounded so far...probably a good thing. You are doing great going shopping.....:SUNsmile: even tho you kind of rushed into it. Human nature....takes over and then :ice:

Moral of the story, don’t let your enthusiasm for making progress lead you to do too much too soon, because you will pay for it afterward.

Yep, all too true! Taking an ice break right now after being in the office all day.

Happy One Month Anniversary!
Wondering how your doing and how your post op appt went?
We'd love to read a progress report.
Hoping your weekend was nice and the week to come even nicer. :flwrysmile:
@CPH

Not sure where to begin. Up until last week, my recovery was textbook...walking with a cane and taking some steps on my own, PT going great and getting stronger each day...feeling great.

Then on my way to my 1 month Dr appt, I had what can only be described as a freak fall, losing my balance while getting into my husbands SUV. So many “shoulda, woulda couldas”. In any case I found myself falling to the ground, holding on to the car door to the sound of “pop, pop, pop”. I was certain I must have dislocated, the pain was not that bad, but still could not get up.

Ambulance came, loaded me up and off to the ER we went. Turns out my hip replacement was intact but the fall had caused it to break my femur in three places which meant I needed emergency surgery to fix the break and in order to do so, replace the implant with a longer stem. They said while in there they would also replace the ceramic head and poly liner just in case.

Acetabular cup had fixated, so they ended up leaving that. Approximately 7 hours after the fall they took me into surgery. Apparently the surgery went well, they got the break repaired great, went back in place with the help of 7 or 8 titanium bands where the fracture was almost imperceptible and then put in the longer stem, new head and liner. My 4½ inch glued incision turned into a 14 inch staple incision, since the surgery took longer than the hoped.

Apparently they had closed up my leg and BOOM, something happened and my blood pressure dropped dangerously low. Won’t go into the details I was told except to say after a million tests they could not figure out exactly what happened but no damage to any organs. Woke up in ICU the next morning with breathing tube being removed.

Was able to carry on a coherent conversation with my family via a pad of paper and pen until the tube was out and I could speak. Stayed two more nights in regular hospital room and then released. Now I am 8 weeks nonweight bearing until the femur is healed then most likely back to square one on the hip.

Good news is while there is some discomfort it’s not that bad and I am down to just Tylenol and 5 mg oxy at bedtime, and this time they sent me home with antibiotic because infection risk is greater second time around.

This was truly a freak accident so I would not want to scare anyone with my experience. However with all that has happened I have become quite circumspect. I no longer care about the length of my scar or how it was closed, whether my legs are even, or pushing myself too fast to be a super self sufficient model hippie. Instead I am grateful. Grateful that my surgical team did a great job fixing my leg, but more importantly got me stabilized quickly. Grateful that my neighbors, friends and family have come to my rescue by checking on me frequently, grateful to my wonderful husband, parents and son for tending to me pretty much 24/7 as I cannot afford to fall again and can’t do much at all for myself just yet.

Well that’s my update for now, doing well, laying low and letting my family come to my rescue.

@CPH, so sorry to hear your update but I'm happy that you're back home with a wonderful support system in place. You're outlook is phenomenal considering what you've been through. I can't imagine the fear all of you must have felt when this happened. I wish you all of the best going through your new recovery process and praying all goes well from here on out. Please know that we're all here for you, day or night. :console2:

@CPH Oh my gosh!!! All that you've been through and yet you've graciously come into your thread to let us know what happened. It really hurts my heart for you. I'm afraid of falling, we all are. I'm glad they could fix everything and things progress slowly but surely. Sending hugs and more hugs.❤❤❤

However, with all that has happened I have become quite circumspect. I no longer care about the length of my scar or how it was closed, whether my legs are even, or pushing myself too fast to be a super self sufficient model hippie. Instead I am grateful. Grateful that my surgical team did a great job fixing my leg, but more importantly got me stabilized quickly. Grateful that my neighbors, friends and family have come to my rescue by checking on me frequently, grateful to my wonderful husband, parents and son for tending to me pretty much 24/7 as I cannot afford to fall again and can’t do much at all for myself just yet.

The above quote was a tear jerker for me. I'm so very sorry to read of your unfortunate accident, resulting surgery and recovery. Never in your wildest dreams would you have imagined that scenario. Each of us realizes what you experienced could just have easily happened to us. How frightening! Thank the Lord you're alright and beginning the journey once again. You will be in my prayers for perfect healing with an uneventful recovery. Please stay in touch. You know the support here is plentiful and we'd love to encourage you along the way.
Sending a warm hug :console2:
@CPH

:flabber: Oh my stars... how absolutely terrifying it must have been for you and your family and friends...the fall and the subsequent issues during surgery!
I am so glad they got you fixed up.
It will certainly be a longer recovery, but I know you will do well because you have alot of support from your crew and from your Bonesmartie friends.
Healing hugs coming your way:friends:

@CPH oh my, what you have been through! So glad the surgical team was able to fix the damage and getting your other issues under control quickly.

Thank you for putting things in or back in perspective depending on what side of this surgery you are on. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers, sending very gentle hugs.
:angel:

@CPH Oh poor baby. I teared up as I read your story. So glad it has a happy (if prolonged) ending. Your attitude is admirable and will hopefully help in your recovery. Will continue to think positive thoughts for you.

I no longer care about the length of my scar or how it was closed, whether my legs are even, or pushing myself too fast to be a super self sufficient model hippie. Instead I am grateful.
Dear @CPH , tonight is just the latest in a series of late nights for me that have been haunted by thoughts just like the ones you describe, chasing around my tired brain like proverbial squirrels. I dimly sensed gratitude might be the answer to this exhausting rumination, but I was at a total loss to find it.

I am so very sorry for the circumstances that led you to your gratitude. And I send you every possible wish for a peaceful recovery - and plenty of that sleep that seems to be your recovery superpower :). Yet I would be remiss if I did not acknowledge the gift you just gave me, a lantern to illuminate the path to gratitude in the midst of adversity.

Thanks for the perspective "wake up" call … May you heal so rapidly you will make all the doctors amazed! xox

Oh, no; oh,no; oh, no! That’s all I kept saying while reading your update. I am SO sorry! I was recounting your story to my husband and he just kept shuddering and saying that was what he was worried about for me. Well, when all of it sinks in and gets processed, don’t be surprised if it hits you like a ton of bricks. Keep the gratitude going but there could be some really rough days just like before. Sending you angel blessings and healing. We’ll be here for you. Keep us posted when you can. ❤️❤️❤️

@CPH Just wondering if the area you live in California has mostly warm weather year round? If so, you could still use your crutches to get outside and sit some and not be confined to your house. Hoping this would make it easier to get through the next 8 weeks before going to a walker and all. I just know I feel better in the summer and can face tough times easier, so I hope the same for you. ❤

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom