TKR 2 new knees, 3 months apart oy vey

Goodness, I know I'm 4 wks behind you, but I can't imagine doing ALL of that in a month, with ONE recovering knee, let alone TWO like you. I hate it when people make comments and just don't understand. It seems people either see us as injured or recovered----with no in between. It drives me crazy sometimes!

My wife is amazing, but to the outsider, 2-3 months of recovery seems like a long time. I believe you don’t need this much time to recover from a heart transplant. I’m so glad I have this group

My wife is amazing, but to the outsider, 2-3 months of recovery seems like a long time. I believe you don’t need this much time to recover from a heart transplant. I’m so glad I have this group

My husband had a heart transplant done about 3 years ago. For 6 weeks he couldn't lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk (which is 8 lbs more or less) and he wasn't allowed to sleep on his sides or really do anything. But after that the chest bones healed and he was able to start rehab. Cardiac rehab was 3 months of gradually-increasing PT under medical supervision.

But the knee is a heavy use joint, weight bearing, indispensable. It is my understanding the only thing worse to come back from is shoulder replacement.

Did your wife read any of the articles they provide here? That might help her understand your recovery better.

Last edited by a moderator:
No my wife hasn’t read any, I think I talk so much about this place, she is kind of sick of hearing about it. She is also an OT,

I think my husband gets tired of hearing about it, too. Honestly I don’t think he agrees 100%.

He would probably be all for it if my surgeon had recommended the Bonesmart way, but my surgeon was big on PT, and pushing my bend to a painful place when he measured it. :blackcloud:

You are so right, first off people don’t want to hear about your problems, and in the USA, PT is the end all, no one could wrap their minds around surgeries and no PT.

Yes, I was always saying: "Josephine says" or "the Bonesmarties say..." :heehee:

Oh and at 9 weeks that was a lot of activity. If I had done that much I definitely would have iced, elevated and napped as you did. :yawn: Come to think of it I probably would have napped regardless on any given day at 9 weeks. :snork:

Sometimes I like to just lay dow and rest my legs, I feel like napping 4-5 days a week I don’t care what people think, when I’m tired, I’m like “I’m out, and just leave

Went to PT today, knees are swollen a bit from the accident, with the swelling in the back of knee, my PT put a rolled towel behind behind my knee and I was able to bend it, before I couldn’t do one revolution on the bike, with the towel I was able to do it with no pain. Crazy lots of massage, and gentle stretches I got painlessly to 100.

But the knee is a heavy use joint, weight bearing, indispensable. It is my understanding the only thing worse to come back from is shoulder replacement.

@luvcats .... I don't know where you're getting your information about shoulder replacements, but if you do a little reading in our Shoulder Replacement Recovery Forum, you'll see that seems to no longer be the case. I had mine done in late February and several other members are chronicling their shoulder recovery journey. We've had amazing results with little pain. Granted it may still take a year to get full strength, but in comparing knees to shoulders, I'd definitely say knees are more challenging.

Jamie, oh! How lovely to know. I got my information from people who had shoulder replacements, but they did not also have knees done. It's probably one of those 'everyone know's ' things where 'everyone' is wrong! lol

@luvcats thanks for the attaboy, I’m feeling sore today, a bit stiff, my PT did some deep tissue massage on my thigh and back of my knee, felt great at the time, I’m going to ice all day and night today. We have a busy few days coming up

Oh my, you have certainly joined the ODIC, (over did it club). It's not a place you want to be. Rest, elevate and ice that poor knee as much as you can. Thank God you were hurt worse in your accident.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back