TKR RAD's recovery thread

Wow. You went back to work at 3 and 1/2 weeks post op? That's astonishing. I've always felt that my knee has done great since very early on, but the thought of getting up at a certain time every day, getting showered and dressed, going somewhere, staying there all day, coming back home at 3 weeks post op seems almost super human to me. :kayak:

That has to be some kind of world record!! Congratulations!!

Reactions: RAD
Thanks.@robert johnson, I can’t say it’s been easy, but I’ve been lucky in many ways. I got off pain meds day 6 and it’s my left knee so I was able to drive at 2 weeks post op. I also work at a desk job, and I’m able to ice a couple of times a day at work. I also really tried to stay on some sort of schedule when I got home from the hospital. My sleeping still isn’t perfect, I get up to adjust position a few times a night. But I got up and went to bed on my work schedule so I would sort of stay in my routine.
My husband has been awesome, so when I get home I rest, ice and elevate. Same on the weekend.
I’ve done what I thought I could handle without regressing and thank goodness it’s gone pretty well so far. I still feel aches and take 2 ES Tylenol 4 times a day. I’m looking forward to improved sleep, it’s still not great. But I’n definitely grateful for what I’ve been able to do so far...

A lot of pieces have to fall into place to do what you've done. I was able to drive almost immediately also (week 2) because I keep my heel on the floor and just rotate my foot from gas pedal to brake, so that's never been an issue. But that's only one piece in a hundred to do what you've done. There are so many peripheral issues. For me hamstring pains/tightness has been the killer.

I agree with Benay, what you've done is amazing.

Wow, wow, wow @RAD - your post is so inspiring!!! You are doing fantastic and absolutely deserve that wine.

I bet having to walk up all those stairs to your apartment is actually making those legs stronger. Good for you. And I will chime in to say that I am also jealous of your upcoming trip.

Your post made me so happy and I look forward to getting to where you are. Sounds like you are working hard but also being sensible with icing, elevating. Good for you!!!

Thanks @LaxMom! I’m actually just about to leave for work and hit the stairs right now! I have an ice pack that I take to work that I put on in the car (even though I live in the city, I work outside the city and drive to work.

About 9 weeks until my trip, totally looking forward to it!

Hope all is going well for you!

Hi, thanks to all for sharing.
1) For me, when I need these, if I take a half w food (always, even in the night—can be just a bit of banana or small bite of bread or a cracker), and then stay completely still after taking it (this is absolutely essential! especially w true opioids), I do not get nauseous or dizzy.
2) What is Game Ready? I love my Aircast Cryo Cuff gravity feed system (using knee and shoulder cuffs for recent surgeries), but am researching other systems, particularly electric. Please share features.
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @marieltha

1. All the opioids I tried made me so dizzy and sick.
2. I rented Game Ready for the 1st 2 weeks after surgery. It’s an ice machine and compression system with a wrap that went from my lower calf to above the knee. I can’t say what the exact specs were, but it helped my recovery a lot and was recommended by my OS.

Thanks!
I had the same experience w opioids w my first PKR recovery. Horribly ill. Did only the halves of tramadol (never a whole) for the second PKR—no Norco—and weaned off soon. My drug tolerance is extremely low. My highest use was 3 total tramadol a day, and I even had withdrawal symptoms from that low dose. Shoulder surgery pain is more intense, particularly since I also had a biceps release, which really is painful, so I did 2 total tramadols during the day, and a 1/2 norco at bed and 1/2 norco in the night. Then I got down to just a 1/2 tram once mid-day and 1/2 norco at bedtime. Today, my goal is no tramadol and no norco, will use tylenol instead. I think one builds up a tolerance of/resistance to tylenol, so in prep for the no tram & no Norco, I skipped tylenol for several days. I took one this morning and it helped. Wish me luck. Honestly, the new partial knee feels fine. It is the shoulder, biceps, and ligament that speak to me.
I do take Celebrex for osteoarthritis and that reduces inflammation and helps as well. My best walks are about 45 minutes after a Celebrex. Best way to take that is after a meal (up to 20 minutes after), with 8 ounces of water.
I will look up Game Ready.
Keep up the great recovery!

@RAD took a couple days off from here so I missed our AnniKNEEversary yesterday. Hope you’re doing well!

Hi @lopat, same to you! How are you feeling? I have my six week follow up with my OS today.

Hi @RAD what a great recovery you're having, hope I will do half as well as you!

@RAD

With the way you have handled your amazing recovery, a trip to Europe is a great way to celebrate. :yes!:

I hope, following my left TKR next spring, that I will be able to return to my two favorite European destinations, Venice and Monaco. Growing up in the Philly area, my interest in Grace Kelly began at an early age. But, never did I ever think that I would ever tour the cathedral where she was wed or the palace where she lived.:roseshwr: But, dreams do come true and I hope that I will be able to relive that experience once again.:) :-) (:

Enjoy your trip and keep up with your amazing recovery!

Anna:flwrysmile:

Thanks @tabbykit and @BCSAnna! I know you are both in early days, but at 6 weeks in for me it’s been the best thing I could have done. I hope it’s the same for you both. I had my 6 week checkup today, and my OS said things are going great. The xrays looked excellent and it was cool to see the comparison between my preop and postop ones. @lopat I hope your checkup went well too. Afterwards my husband and I went to a lovely French restaurant for lunch to celebrate my progress and to thank him for taking such good care of me!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom