The Waiting Game

So close, @Elf1! For me, until I was about a week out from surgery, it almost didn't seem real. Then, once I had the pre-op and started thinking about the reality of what was to come, the time started almost whizzing by! I flew into a flurry of mindless chores (who polishes display silver as a "critical chore" before surgery?!!) which served to keep me busy and focused and not freaking out! I think at the time I likened it to "nesting", that behavior many women engage in before the birth of a child, getting read for a new baby, a new life ahead. I am not sure my nesting was really to "welcome" a new hip (out with the old, in with the new!) but it was a great time waster for me! I think I rearranged my underwear drawer, too!

Hi @Elf1
Just stopping by your thread to say hi and throw my 2 cents in.
My OS at my 6 week said my only restriction going forward is not to twist at the same time as having toes turned in--in other words avoid some bizarre motion that I'd probably have to work pretty hard to get into.
This hip lets me know when I'm doing something to stress it and that gets to be less and less these days-- it's becoming more strong and normal-feeling now.
My understanding of what happens in healing is that all the supporting systems that were cut into or pushed aside to get to your hip strengthen and heal and that takes ? Weeks and there the surgeons differ. But once that all happens, then the new hip has a new support system, of course never the same as a native hip but as good and reliable as medical science can make it. That's what gentle PT and the walking do--help the muscles heal to protect that hip and enable you to do what you used to do. There is so much conflicting info out there I agree but as a nurse this explanation made sense to me!
You are getting close birthday sister!
Will be watching your journey and praying for you too.

:wave:@Elf1 It won't be long now... I'm remembering when I was about where you are now. I knew if I did not get the surgery I would just get worse and the only alternative was to fix it. That's how I got through the last days, and was quite calm, where I had expected to be the opposite. We're all waiting for you...I'm keeping an eye on you.:flwrysmile:

What was the nurse's take on nail polish? I have dip nails and dread taking off the polish because my nails are so weak. I know I'll find out on Thursday (it's one of my questions) but I'm just curious.

Every surgery I've ever had they made remove nail polish and any fake/gel, etc nails prior. @DinVegas , sorry.

Thanks everyone! I'm counting down the days! Got my primary docs clearance today, that was the last one needed. Thought I was going to have choke him, kept going off on little tangents. Doc, just say yes you're cleared go become bionic! :curtsey:

Dropped off FMLA paperwork at OS office then checked back in after the appt with primary as the scheduler had been at lunch when I dropped it off. She'll call when it's ready. Said it may be longer than 10-12 weeks that I had told the company as I was basing on what was originally intended after back surgery. Doesn't really break my heart of I have to stay out longer. Sorry, don't mean to sound like I'm not a good employee, went back too early last time out of loyalty and learned it wasn't appreciated. Most companies seem to be that way now a days.

Came home and found the primary insurance company's approval for the surgery in the mail. Yippee!
:dancy:

Very like! O gawd its ironic that when we are crippled we have to run around with paperwork! I still want to choke my PCP!
I may go march to the cardiologist and get a paper copy of my visit notes. And then march to the PCP and ask what her problem is.. ( She is the one who said I have not seen my cardio.)
Man do we ever have to seize the day..!

No most companies do not really appreciate you coming back early or working in pain. I came back after my knee replacements within 6 wks. Luckily had a sitting job so could ice and it was like I was never gone and a list of what has to be done and what is late waiting even though there were people there who could have handled a lot of it.

I am sorry you are still dealing with work and all the extra paperwork.

Reading stuff about folks' anxiety about returning to work, @Elf1, makes me profoundly grateful I'm no longer working outside the home! I stopped fulltime work relatively early (55) and became a fulltime mama to my then 10 year old son, but I did part-time consulting work until about a year ago. In terms of my hip replacement surgery worrying about my clueless employer and the work backing up while I wasn't there was a non-issue for me! Put yourself first, @Elf1, they will survive without you until you're ready to return. And congrats on finally getting insurance approval paperwork, one less thing to worry about. Hurray--and, wow, June 26 is just around the corner now!

@leejaa and @Barbaraj yep, things are moving along! Received the paperwork for my FMLA back from the OS office this morning, they said they had to fax it, guess they didn't realize that our Corporate HQs is in Alaska, not here in Texas. That's ok, too easy to fix. I had originally thought surgery was the 24th so that was what I told the company, then when it bumped to the 26th I said I was still going to go out starting the 24th. Bless the schedulers heart, she sent an excuse signed by the Doc requesting me off on 24 & 25 stating that he doesn't want me driving! Love it when a plan comes together!
:happydance:

@Elf1, I can't believe you're finally there, well almost anyway! You've been on the forum long enough that I hope you aren't too nervous about the surgery! Don't forget to start your recovery thread when you get time. We're waiting for you and even though you still have 8 days left, we're all wishing you the best on your big day! Just imagine what a pain free life you're going to have! :yes!:

Yep same here if I went back to bedside nursing they'd load me up with patients and set me loose. Its ironic that we have to do everything to be considerate and make the patients happy ( we have 2 big competing health systems in my city which amps it up) but if the nurse was a patient they don't care

Just think...next week at this time you'll be in recovery.
I hope you're not feeling too anxious. We all tend to fret and afterward think "if I only knew, I wouldn't have worried so much" I'll bet it all goes off without a hitch...and we'll be right here cheering you on.
Wishing you comfort as you await next Wednesday. :friends:
@Elf1

@Fit4Family and @Layla pretty excited! Working from home tomorrow and think I'm only going to do a half day on Friday. Pretty much not doing anything at work right now so figure I can better spend my time getting last minute stuff and getting things set up. The nice OS gave me an excuse from work for Monday and Tuesday. Said I wasn't to drive. Thought that was cool as we had discussed my 45 minute drive each way.
:yahoo:

Good that you will have some time home before surgery instead of having to do the drive and try to get through work. Best wishes for next week. Can't wait to see your recovery page.

Evening @Elf1. I have a 40 minute drive to work also. Thank goodness it's all highway, no stop and go on ungodly rough streets. I would be bent out of shape if it was in town driving that long. Bad enough just going to the store and back. I'll start my leave from work first of July. It'll be good time to stock freezer up. Good luck Elf1! I know you'll roll in there with a big smile cause you're crossing the finish line.:walking:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie