THR Not going as planned

You do realize what was done to was worse than being hit by a truck? The drain on your body from being disassembled, having parts lopped off and pounded in and then reassembly is like a scheduled car wreck.
Sounds like you're about to discover that forcing things won't make it happen faster, it will put you further behind. I brought in all of the paperwork my HR dept gave me including job description and the Human Performance test they required me to perform because I was out for 3 mos. I think my OS is still laughing at what they expected.
Lol. Yeah, my PT asked me if I watched a video of a THP. I said no. He said “if you do, you won’t wonder what’s taking so long. They are rough on your body.” I knew that, but I guess I just didn’t REALLY realize the extent.
I’m not pushing myself too much. I’m scared to hurt myself more and end up taking longer. I never thought I’d say this but I can’t wait to be able to work again.

You're welcome!

You're in good company. Many don't have a realistic idea about the length of time recovery can take, but you really will get there. Try to look at progress weekly, not daily. I think it makes a difference. :wink:

@upser I think you need to be more patient with your recovery. I was very active prior to my surgery, and learned so much from this forum......and the one thing that hit home to me from the experts on this forum, was that the hip heals well without doing pt. I am not saying that you should avoid it, but doing things in excess can make matters worse.
In the days after my surgery, I too thought I had gotten out of shape, but you will probably find that if you were active prior to your surgery, you're recovery will likely be smoother. Be patient and don't overdo it.

I’d say this but I can’t wait to be able to work again.
You'll learn to get over that. I know what your job is and at least you have representation so I'd say you can get the extra time if your OS writes it up that way for you.

You'll learn to get over that. I know what your job is and at least you have representation so I'd say you can get the extra time if your OS writes it up that way for you.
Yeah. I’m really gonna try to get extra time. In consultation, my surgeon said 3 to 4 months. Then when he filled out the paperwork for my short term disability, he put 11 weeks. I don’t know why he didn’t just go with 3 1/2 months, other than they like to market how quick their patients can return to work.Now I’ll have to redo paperwork.

@upser I think you need to be more patient with your recovery. I was very active prior to my surgery, and learned so much from this forum......and the one thing that hit home to me from the experts on this forum, was that the hip heals well without doing pt. I am not saying that you should avoid it, but doing things in excess can make matters worse.
In the days after my surgery, I too thought I had gotten out of shape, but you will probably find that if you were active prior to your surgery, you're recovery will likely be smoother. Be patient and don't overdo it.
I know one thing. I’ve learned that progress can’t be measure by the day. Just like I’ve read here, you have to measure it by the week.

You're welcome!

You're in good company. Many don't have a realistic idea about the length of time recovery can take, but you really will get there. Try to look at progress weekly, not daily. I think it makes a difference. :wink:
I’ve read where you advise people to walk “heel to toe” to eliminate limping. Am I missing something, because isn’t that the way we walk normally?

Just wanted to say hello @upser My big come back is taking longer than expected. My expectations were way off. I just read above article and would agree 6 months for the tissue damage to heal. I was very active prior to my accident and tire now with pretty light activities. I never considered what hip flexors do prior to my THR. They are pretty key for lifting and twisting and getting in and out of van.

:realing:Fishing seems very doable. Get out there and do more of what you love. It will help you be more patient with the timeline. :bigfish:

I’ve read where you advise people to walk “heel to toe” to eliminate limping. Am I missing something, because isn’t that the way we walk normally?

You would think but when my gait was assessed...apparently after the years of compensating...I was deemed a "toe walker"
I tended to put the weight forward and strike the ball of my foot in an effort to keep the load off my hips.
Also did not stand up straight.
You may not have any of these issues, but we do tend to walk differently, more gingerly...when we have hurt legs (pre-op and post-op)

Just be mindful of your posture and gait.
Hope you have a stellar weekend with some good weather!

Good Morning @upser To answer your question -
No, not everyone walks heel-toe naturally. Some walk on the balls of their feet, some on their toes. Many of us never payed attention to the way we walk. For some it takes a concentrated effort, apparently it comes naturally for you, so no practice necessary. :)
I hope you have a nice weekend!

If you had a bad hip for any time to get by there is a tendency to change your gait to mask or avoid limping. I could walk as well as anyone and faster than most but I wasn't using my heel/toe due to lack of range of motion in the hip and avoiding the bone on bone shock in the joint.
This is also why many have to buy new shoes post THR as their shoes have a wear pattern from the old gait.

Just wanted to say hello @upser My big come back is taking longer than expected. My expectations were way off. I just read above article and would agree 6 months for the tissue damage to heal. I was very active prior to my accident and tire now with pretty light activities. I never considered what hip flexors do prior to my THR. They are pretty key for lifting and twisting and getting in and out of van.

:realing:Fishing seems very doable. Get out there and do more of what you love. It will help you be more patient with the timeline. :bigfish:
Yeah the hip flexors are huge apparently. Every now and again, I’ll try a straight leg raise. Leg comes up about 3 inches. I think I’m gonna try to fish this evening.

Yeah the hip flexors are huge apparently. Every now and again, I’ll try a straight leg raise. Leg comes up about 3 inches. I think I’m gonna try to fish this evening.
The “come back” sucks. I REALLY thought that by now I’d be WAY better than I am. I still feel like I’m never gonna get better, but everybody says they felt the same way and just give it time. I’ll be 8 weeks this Friday. That’s plenty of time in my mind. Lol

Ok. So I’ve been walking the last few days. Usually, 1/2 mile or just over. I can’t walk too far before it starts hurting various areas. Usually, the knee area bothers me the most. Today, I pushed it out to just over a mile. The area just above the knee cap was hurting. Sporadic pain in the groin area. Lower back started hurting. The side of my operative leg AND non operative leg was hurting. I came home and iced it all. I don’t take any pain relievers though. I get all of these same pains at various times when I’m just casually walking around the house. Sometimes not. All part of the process? I hope?

@upser Unfortunately it's not unusual to get various aches and pains in different places throughout the recovery. It sounds like you may have pushed that walk too far, too soon today. When you ice, I hope you keep it on about an hour each time as recommended by the forum nurse. You may want to consider taking extra strength Tylenol to help with the pain as well. If you start increasing your 1/2 mile just a bit every few days, you'll be at a mile before you know it!

Seeing as you have some spare time look up the muscle groups in your body You'll understand more by looking at how they are. Now picture just how far they had to move them to take you apart enough to cut the end of your femur off and pound that stake in there! By looking at the diagrams you'll see just who in there is mad at the Dr. for doing that and now they are mad at you for torturing them more. The group that's bothering you the most originates at the hip band and goes down to your knee cap. The pain and burning in the knee does go away but it's that time thing.

Seeing as you have some spare time look up the muscle groups in your body You'll understand more by looking at how they are. Now picture just how far they had to move them to take you apart enough to cut the end of your femur off and pound that stake in there! By looking at the diagrams you'll see just who in there is mad at the Dr. for doing that and now they are mad at you for torturing them more. The group that's bothering you the most originates at the hip band and goes down to your knee cap. The pain and burning in the knee does go away but it's that time thing.

Well, I’m 9 1/2 weeks post surgery now. Still have a slight limp most of the time. Every now and then no limp. I can now put my shoes and socks on, a little easier than pre surgery. But I’m STILL worried I’m not gonna get back to work. What it seems like to me is some things are better. Some ain’t.
Went to the gym last week and walked 1.5 miles at 2.5 mph. Had a little bit of muscular pain but not bad. When I got off the treadmill, my leg felt pretty weak. But I thought “great, that’s a big improvement.” Went for a walk 3 days later and made it half mile and quit. Then I’m thinking “oh no, I’m never getting better.” Another thing is if I squat to pick up anything that weighs 30+ lbs? Wow, my operated leg feels really weak. Once I’m standing it’s fine. It’s just that initial straightening. Also. I still feel pretty stiff in the hip. It won’t come to my chest as far as the non operative side does. PT measured it at 115 degrees. Is 9 1/2 weeks still way to early to complain? Does the recovery sound ok to everybody else?

Sounds about right. I could really feel it if I tried to carry anything slightly heavy. Even carrying a heavy bag of groceries up the steps wasn't good. It's still going to take some time. At 3 mos I was better, but not really there as far as a full recovery. I never went back to work so I never had to push it.

Sounds about right. I could really feel it if I tried to carry anything slightly heavy. Even carrying a heavy bag of groceries up the steps wasn't good. It's still going to take some time. At 3 mos I was better, but not really there as far as a full recovery. I never went back to work so I never had to push it.
I wouldn’t worry at all if I was retired, but I really want to work, and have to work. Went to PT today and he says that it’s just a matter of muscle weakness. The hip itself is fine. The hip flexor is probably the worst of it. Still can barely do a single straight leg raise.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back