Injections after TKR

quicklabs

Country
United States United States
After my right TKR in 2014, my OS prescribed a regime of injections that my husband had to give me in my belly for 30 days after the surgery. I received these in the hospital as well. For the life of me, I can't remember why I had to have these. (Both my husband and I freaked out everytime I had to get one--I am needle phobic!) These were NOT gel shots. Has anyone else had to do this? If so, why are they done? I am going to call my OS to see if he plans on having me do this as well. (Hoping not)! Thanks in advance.

I had to give myself those shots, but only for 10 days. My understanding is they are to prevent harmful blood clots.

Thank you, Ront. Maybe it was just 10; it seemed like 30! LOL. My surgeon does not use the tourniquet, so maybe they will not be needed.

Seems like most either need the shots or 325mg Aspirin to help prevent blood clots.

My doc was going to have me do the shots for my second knee (5 weeks after the first) but changed his mind to aspirin.

Discuss it with him ad see if he will allow the pills.

My surgeon does not use the tourniquet, so maybe they will not be needed.
I don't think it has anything to do with whether or not a tourniquet is used.
It's to prevent you getting a DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis) during the early part of your recovery, when you're spending most of your time being relatively inactive.

I vote for the aspirin! I will ask him about this. Thank you.

I had to give myself the shots with my TKR and it was no fun, but I did it. With my revision, my doctor had me take aspirin, and I was much happier. I vote for aspirin too. But in the end, preventing a DVT is important so whichever way your doctor prescribes is what he thinks best.

It's enoxaparin - aka Lovenox.And the others are correct, it's a prophylactic anticoagulant. But there is an oral version on the market now called Rivaroxaban, also known as Xarelto.

I believe some hip surgeons will use aspirin instead but not for knees.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back