THR Tarajeane has a new hip

Hi @Tarajeane
Shouldn’t every day start to get a little better?
These first weeks we wonder.:sigh:
Sometimes it can be easier to mark progress weekend to weekend as my friend Layla often suggests...
It is such early days and this was a major surgery. Try not to worry! Stress is not good for us either!
All normal, even the knee pain...many complain of this.
Ice your knee as well as your hip.:ice:

I know this seems very hard but it is all temporary and does get better.
Healing hugs coming your way!:console2:

Hello,
In these very early days of recovery, each day is not necessarily better than the day before.
A painful knee is a common as the knee is often manipulated rather aggressively in an effort to dislocate the hip. Ice all painful areas for 40-60 mins, no less, as recommended by the forum nurse, Do this several times per day. Also, if you feel your meds aren't adequately controlling your pain, give the office of your OS a call and see if you can have them adjusted.
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful Tuesday.
@Tarajeane

Today is one week post and overall feeling good but have really bad knee pain that is preventing me from wanting to walk. Anyone else have this problem?
Tara

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Tarajeane Yes, and it is a common complaint. My knee was very swollen and made it difficult to walk for at least 2 weeks. Layla's post above explains why the knee will hurt after hip surgery. Are you icing your knee and hip for 40 to 60 minutes, 4 times a day? And are you elevating your leg correctly when resting? It took me awhile to realize I had to ice my knee AND my hip. You're only at one week and it does get better.

Hi Tarajeane:
I remember so clearly my early days of recovery after having a hip revision on April 1st. You are in the right place and getting a lot of wonderful feedback from members of the BoneSmart community. I am so fortunate to have had these companions on our journey and recovery to help me get as far as I have come.
One thing that was reiterated to me over and over again was the need for patience, something I've never been very good at exhibiting. As other BoneSmart members have suggested you are in your early early days of recovery. It does get better with time, believe me...I have been in one of the worst patients here on this website, lol.:tantrum:
I wish you the best with your recovery I know that you're going to be just fine.

How should I be elevating my leg? I sit in a recliner most of the day and was told not to put a pillow under my knee to elevate my leg
Tara

Cecropia, when was your surgery?

@Tarajeane, if you re-read your second post above from Layla, there is a section called "Control Discomfort" and a link you can click on for elevating. Hope this helps!

@Tarajeane Hi. My surgery was May 28. Also was reading about your knee pain. Mine was painful after surgery and some light bruising. Like Layla said the knee is manipulated to help dislocate the hip for surgery. I was surprised, did not expect it and even at over 2 weeks it's still sore but improving. As for the walker, my PT today had me try my cane. I did good around the house so will be using it, but during the night or when I'm really tired I will use my walker still. I'm not ready to go out shopping or walking at a park or such, I still get tired quickly. You will gradually know when you are ready to try each progression to not using assistance. Just don't worry, it will happen...:SUNsmile:

Hi, has anyone gotten a tattoo over scar after THR? How far after surgery did you get a tattoo? Did it hurt more or less over scar? And did you have to take antibiotics prior?
Tara

@Tarajeane you will notice that I have merged your three threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.

Hi, every time I try to access my post it now says I am not able to view post. I would like to be able to ask questions and start new post

Hi there glad to see you are on the road to recovery. I had knee pain as well still do occasionally but I am convinced it is the shoes I am wearing as they did this pre-op but follow the advice here. I have found a wealth of good advice. Bravo to you you are moving forward and I like what Cecropia said about using the walker and easing up to strengthen the quads.I am going to do that one.

Hi, every time I try to access my post it now says I am not able to view post. I would like to be able to ask questions and start new post
You are probably trying to access a thread that I merged to this one. As I posted above, we ask that you have only one thread in recovery so that we have your history in one place in case we need to advise you. Please don't start a new thread. Just post your question here. Thanks!

Today is day 10 and I am having intense sharp pain in hip and my knee. Yesterday without thinking about it I accidentally kicked my leg backwards which is one one of my precautions. Do you think I may have dislocated the hip? I also had PT yesterday prior to kicking leg back
Tara

:wave: Hi @Tarajeane
No, I don't think you dislocated the hip. I've heard it is excruciatingly painful and you wouldn't be able to move. My guess is the accidental maneuver you experienced, coupled with PT is what's causing your pain.
Take your meds on schedule, rest and ice for 40-60 mins, no less, several times daily and you will most likely bounce back quickly.

I certainly would back off PT while you're hurting. PT really isn't necessary anyway, especially this early on. Your body just experienced trauma and is desperately trying to heal. You don't need to be put through workouts at this point in time. I would seriously consider dropping the PT and possibly returning at a later date IF you find you need help with ROM (range of motion) or gait. Following is the BIG TIP from the Recovery Guidelines -

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Wishing you comfort and hoping you feel better soon. :console2:

Hi I’m so worried, my knee pain has gotten so much worst that I have not been able to walk all day and when I need to I’m in such bad pain! My hip is also hurting a lot even when resting!

I'm sorry you're struggling. Ice all areas that are hurting for the length of time mentioned above if you're not already. Make sure you're taking your meds as prescribed.

Since you're only 10 days post op, your knee could be hurting due to surgery. Depending upon the approach used, the knee can be jerked rather aggressively in an effort to dislocate the hip.

I will tag the forum nurse @Josephine to check in with you. However, be aware that she resides in the UK and will not be online tonight. If you're really worried and need some reassurance, you can phone the office of your OS. I'm sure one of the Pysician Assistants are on call and through a few questions will be able to determine whether you need to be seen. It really does sound like your pain is from the combination of kicking your leg back accidentally and PT. But it seems you're worried and uncertain of that, so you need to do whatever will bring you peace of mind.

Wishing you comfort and relief. Please let us know how you're feeling tomorrow. @Tarajeane

I also had PT yesterday prior to kicking leg back
My guess is PT is what has caused the increase in your pain levels. Ice and elevate as Layla has described and a suggest you do not continue with any PT. Hips don't really need anything except walking - and then not to excess.

@Tarajeane I would also add that when you ice, make sure you ice for a FULL HOUR … not 30 minutes, etc. That extra time with the ice on your leg will make all the difference in the world for you....I know how long that seems especially when you are lying flat on your back with your leg elevated, but it will be worth it. I get some good reading done. When I do this, my gait and leg feel so much better and walking isn't as painful and stiff. PS This is all temporary....xox

Last edited:
I'm guessing you are using a walker or other walking aid?
I hope your meds are sufficient?
Short walks are all that is necessary at this point.
Ice that knee along with your hip.
I know these first days are frustrating, but things will get easier!
Healing vibes for a healing Sunday!:angel:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member