THR Sarak - There's Life After a Hip Replacement

You can't help but wonder if/when Nick Saban will crash. He's been through a major surgery and fatigue and Energy Drain are inevitable. Hopefully in pushing it he doesn't hurt himself then have to listen to all the naysayers call him a fool. And you're right, Sara, he does make you look like a slacker and anyone familiar with you here knows that's the last thing you were.
@SaraK

Just a bone bruise and doesn't think too severe. He's not going to require an MRI to confirm (yay!) And doesn't see any need to immobilize the knee. Continue icing, elevating, meloxicam and restricting activities - no dancing (boo!) Or anything else other than seated upper body and normal walking. He thinks that I'll be ok to do some hiking when we go on vacation in a couple weeks if I do that, but will need to let my body guide me.

As I told him, at least I'm seeing orthos now because I hurt myself while having fun. My mother always said she wished she'd given me the middle name of Grace like she'd considered - then I might have a claim to some!

Glad to hear it isn't more serious!
He thinks that I'll be ok to do some hiking when we go on vacation in a couple weeks if I do that, but will need to let my body guide me.
Not sure if that's your best bet...Your body Lies sometimes:umm:
Please take it easy, friend.:loveshwr:

Who me? You sound like my former physical therapist. We were emailing this week and when I told him the doc said I might be good to go by vacation, he said the doctor doesn't know me - that it WILL be good to go by then from my perspective!

Hi.
I hope the knee is doing better and that you are having a good Sunday!

I'm watching the Blues game with my son's today (before I start supervising some furniture moving - my knee is a good excuse not to assist). :heehee:

Believe it or not, I'm being good. :good-bad:I went to the gym yesterday for the first time in 2 weeks, but my trainer and I stuck to the rules - only seated upper body work.

So glad you had good weather for the wedding. The pictures were lovely!

Hip, what hip!?!

We just got back from vacation verrrrrrry late last night and it was wonderful! After weeks of inactivity to let the bruised bone in the knee heal as much as possible, it was glorious to be able to do things again.

The knee was still a bit sore with the hiking in Chattanooga (or if I have to kneel for any reason) but held up well. The hips on the other hand? Not a wimper or whine with the hiking or the daily beach walks or kayaking. Not even a twinge! The only reminder from them at all was stiffness after driving a few hours between stops. With driving from the southern coast of Georgia to Missouri in one day, though, I'd say that's warranted with or without hip replacements!

The only sad part is vacation being over (except I am not scheduled to go back to the office until Monday so I'm planning a visit to the gym today (it sent me a note telling me it missed me) and then have hikes scheduled for Thurs, Fri and Sat and kayaking for Sunday, not to mention dancing Fri and Sat nights).

Wow, Sara. That's wonderful! Sounds like you had a great time packed with activity and held up through it all.
Wonderful progress and update.
Thanks for sharing and have a great rest of the week before returning to work.
Happy Wednesday!
@SaraK

THAT'S the kind of report I like to see: @SaraK is gettin' it done! Inspiring, and it couldn't happen to a nicer person!

Agree with Boneobo
With driving from the southern coast of Georgia to Missouri in one day, though, I'd say that's warranted with or without hip replacements!
Agree with you, SaraK.
I'm planning a visit to the gym today (it sent me a note telling me it missed me) and then have hikes scheduled for Thurs, Fri and Sat and kayaking for Sunday, not to mention dancing Fri and Sat nights).
Oh my stars....hope you go back to work soon!:heehee:

Imagine what I'll be like this fall as an empty nester, @Mojo333 !

Hi my hippy pal!:wave:
Bet you are happy with the Blues...:thumb:
Hope your knee is much better and all is well with you.
We are getting deluges if rain after a long hot stretch and I'm looking forward to a hopefully sunny cooler weekend!:SUNsmile:

Play Gloria (you might have to Google that story)! I'll miss going to the watch parties with friends but very tired and very happy today with our city's first Stanley Cup! (And no rest tonight with my son's swim season starting tonight - two big teams so I won't get done until after 11.)

The knee is doing very well. Because I took an extra fall and hurt the other side of the same knee on vacation, I have still restricted some activities. The Blues games also interfered with my gym life and gave it more time to heal. It no longer hurts, though, so I'm going to gradual reintroduce squats and leg presses and other things that put torque on the knee.

Hip? What hip? I've even broken into a light jog/trot a couple of times to get in out of the rain or run for that one last item in the grocery store without losing my spot in line (yes, I am that person). I only think about the hip afterwards!

Gave a great day @Mojo333 and all my other hippie friends out there!

Knees are such drama queens, aren't they? They're sensitive, finicky, and moody, and even when you think they're all toughened up and road-ready, they'll find a way to betray you and lay you up for week after frustrating week. Ugh!!

@Bone-obo - Yes, knees can be drama queens but the fault is mine, not the knee's. I'm a klutz and my balance isn't always the best. I slipped on a rock crossing a stream and banged I up pretty good and then, when it was just about healed, I was looking at a map as I was going up stairs and lost my footing and banged it up again!

My mom says she almost gave me the middle name of "Grace" and wishes she had because maybe I would have gotten a claim to some!

But how many rocks did you cross before you got to the one with your name on it? (I got nothin' on the map thing. That's whack.)

Personally, I think of you as exuberant and fearless, and the klutziness is just a side effect. I'm profoundly sorry that your slips cause you pain, but at the same time I rejoice that you're so danged alive!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back