Revision TKR Swmrgirl’s Recovery<

Yes, you’re right Josephine! I’ve really had to set boundaries for visitors, especially. Folks who haven’t had major surgery, or TKR in particular, don’t have a clue what a drain it can be to have to talk and be polite for any length of time. My close friends and family are very aware of this, but having people from work stop by is exhausting. I treat visitors like PT... a little goes a long way.

@swmrgirl I am so lucky that none of the few friends I have would dream of dropping in, and as I am a supply teacher I dont have any social colleagues. Therefore since coming home I have only had 1 member of my church pop in on day 4 with a catd and flowers and the offer of church help if ever I need it. Thats it...no one else in 3 weeks which I am so thankful of.

I've had lots of texts messages w/friends checking in on us. The ones I love are "have hubby open the door, dinner is here." Or "look on the front porch." And there will be something for us. I wouldn't love people just popping by - but then again if they want to see me in my jammies with bedhead hair I really don't care!

I’m flattered that people care, I’m just exhausted. As per Bonesmart recommendations, I’m trying not to fall into the trap of energy drain, so I rested all day today. I wasn’t keen to do this type of resting after my first TKR and I paid for it. Once I stopped trying to be a superstar and let my knee heal, I began to make some real progress. Four years later my right knee is the superstar!

Last edited:
@Jockette you mentioned an injury to your shoulder after your surgery. My shoulder is excruciating and much more painful than my new knee. It’s making me miserable. I think I need to see a doctor about it. What did you do for your shoulder and how long did it take to recover?

I went to my surgeon several days after I hurt my shoulder and the X-ray was fine, so they called it acute tendinitis. I asked about a wearing a cloth splint and they said no, not for this.

I just rested my arm and tried not to do anything that made it hurt. I don’t really remember how long it took to get better. It didn’t take a long time, I’m afraid to even guess at this point how long it took. At that point I was only in my second week of knee recovery so I was pretty miserable all around.

I’ll ask @Josephine if she’ll post her shoulder chart so you can show her where your pain is. With the chart I’ll be able to show you where my pain was, it’s hard to describe with words.

I hope yours settles down soon. It’s a really awful pain. :console2:

Thanks for the info, Josephine. I just ordered a TENS machine. I’ll let you know how it goes.

How long has your shoulder been hurting? Can you move it well?

Mine was so bad I couldn’t dress myself.

Please make sure you follow the instructions and my advice in the article.

Jockette, my shoulder started hurting a week after surgery, so about six weeks ago. I can raise it forward, but not to the side or back. It pops and snaps a lot too. It’s difficult to get dressed and I cannot reach behind my back to hook my bra. Sleeping is difficult in any position. I think I’ll contact my primary doc’s office. Did you have a cortisone injection in yours? Not sure they would even let me have one so soon after surgery.

No, I didn’t get a shot. I just rested it. I couldn’t do much of anything anyway, at one week post op.

I just asked my husband how long it bothered me and he couldn’t remember, either.

The cause of this shoulder injury from PT has really affected me emotionally, I remember the moment clearly, but I can’t remember how long it lasted. Interesting.

You were probably in the post-op fog and perhaps it’s a good thing that you don’t remember.

I am new here. Facing the revision surgery on my TKR left knee like you. Hang in there.

I got a TENS unit like Josephine suggested. It helps with acute pain and has a lasting effect, so I’m making good use of it. There’s most definitely a learning curve and I’m glad I read the instructions, because you can zap yourself if the setting is too high.

I saw the doc for my shoulder today and it turns out I have frozen shoulder. This is so painful and it’s worse at night. My blood pressure was high today, no doubt from the pain. She gave me the option of seeing someone in orthopedics for a steroid injection, so I’m thinking about that.

because you can zap yourself if the setting is too high.
Too right! I advised my sister to get one for her chronic bad back. She forgot how I told her NOT to turn it up when the signal faded and not only did she do that, she also kept it on her for 24hrs! As a result she got blisters all down her back! Stupid cow!

I saw the doc for my shoulder today and it turns out I have frozen shoulder.
The TENS will work well for that too! Meaning it won't unfreeze your shoulder but it will lessen the pain.

And sometimes the treatment for a frozen shoulder is an MUA but it's nothing like the one for knees!

This little TENS unit takes the shoulder pain away well enough to allow me to sleep. I can see how it would be very helpful for a painful knee, but fortunately my new new is pain free now!

MUA for frozen shoulder sounds awful, but I would consider it if it would help. The ortho doc said no PT just very gentle pendulum swings. He told me that once my shoulder is past the acute pain stage, it will be frozen, but the pain will go away. My understanding is that it could take a year or more to thaw. I’ve opted for for steroid shot next week, and hoping it helps.

Howdy,

Just checking in.

What a bother, have knee surgery only to have shoulder problems. Is nothing ever simple ??

A steroid shot might give you enough relief for your shoulder to settle down, combined with the TENS it just might be a good combination.

I have had one for many years, forget I have it sometimes, used to use it on my back quite a bit for relief. Worked well. For such a little thing it sure packs a punch if you go to wild with the knobs, very touchy ! I am thinking that is where they got the idea for tasers :loll:

Anyway I hope things continue to improve for you.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom