Bilateral THR Twice as Nice - JennyLynne's recovery

8 weeks today! This is a big milestone to me, as it was the one I had in my head for returning to a mostly "normal" life. I think I am close to where I had hoped to be. Not all the way, but this weekend definitely had a lot of "post-op firsts" - I stopped using any assistive device around the house, I went grocery shopping, I was able to stand in the kitchen and do a lot of meal prep, I shaved my legs without any issues (it's the little things, right??!). I feel no worse for any of it - actually, I feel stronger.

School gets out on Friday and that is my 2-month hip-versary. I really wanted to feel good by that day - the kick off of summer in our house (for my kid at least)! I'm pretty pleased over all. I see my surgeon tomorrow for my 8 weeks check up - I am hoping he feels the same!

Wonderful news, Jenny!
Can't wait to hear all about your visit with the OS. I bet he'll be pleased with your progress.
It's going to be a wonderful Summer with your two guys.
Happy Monday!
@JennyLynne

@JennyLynne You sound like we're doing things much the same as each other. Problem is, I am 10 days ahead of you with only one THR!! :heehee:

I am sure your OS will be thrilled with your progress; you have really taken this in your stride!
I used to love summer holidays when my kids were little. Does your little guy go to day camps or ?

Congrats @JennyLynne on your 8 weeks Friday, it sounds like you turned that corner with recovery! Just in time for a happy fun summer with your little guy. It keeps getting better from here on out and heck you already shaved your legs, imagine what could be next. Like living a pain free life! :yes!:

:wave:So happy to see you doing well and you sound like your two month Hipversary will certainly be worthy of a chicken dance:chuckmarch:
Isn't hip replacement wonderful? :egypdance:

My appointment was short and sweet - I think we spent more time talking about our kids' sports than my hips!
He is very happy with where I am and said that this is where most of his bilateral patients are at approx 8 weeks. He only does 10-15 a year and they are the cases that he expects this kind of recovery from.

I asked about anything to be careful of or to avoid. He said that he cautions women to be very careful of internal rotation when shaving their legs. The combo of the leg turning inward and the torso turning the opposite direction (to shave the outside of the lower leg) is the worst motion for hips. Dislocation is highly unlikely, but that is the motion that leads to it.

I am cleared to swim, which means its all systems go for Friday's "end of school" pool party... assuming Mother Nature cooperates! Hard to believe there could be more rain than we have already had!!!!

I go back at the 1 year mark! :)

Perfect news @JennyLynne! I agree with that leg shaving.....even after 4 years I can't really do that from my first THR, super uncomfortable. I just pray that no one sees that side :rotfl: Hope you have a blast Friday. Sounds like such fun!

Fantastic news! You've done really well, Jenny.
I'll bet you're so happy to have surgery in the rear view and a couple months of recovery behind you.
It's going to be a great Summer. Enjoy!
@JennyLynne

@JennyLynne yours is the recovery thread that gave me the most hope pre surgery. I loved your humour and strength.
Now you’re 8 weeks post op & you sound like you’ve managed to get life back on track. Good luck with your new hips and thank you for making me feel bilateral was feasible

@Yogigirl You are so kind with your words... and it means a lot to know that I am helping others in the same way that this board has helped me! I think the most important takeaway from reading about others that are ahead of you on the journey is remembering that everything is temporary... you WILL feel better, you WILL get stronger, you WILL get back to so much you have missed. Everyone's timeline is unique, but the journey for many is similar. Trust me, I have my rough patches but the outlook is pretty sweet!

That is so awesome @JennyLynne ! Great visit with the OS and sounds like a great summer is on the way!

:friends:
Great update and great advice and reassurance!
Hope you have a great week!:SUNsmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom