THR Ow it hurts no more!

Owithurts

Country
United States United States
i will be at the hospital tomorrow, Monday, at 10:00 for a right hip replacement. Nervous, but looking forward to getting on with my life that does not include hip pain. My husband and I will be going to Argentina and Chile in January on a cruise and can’t wait to really be able to enjoy our time together. Am glad to say tomorrow I am on the other side.

Looking forward to your first post op post!

To help you get ready.
Here's your copy of the Hip Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

Hugs and best wishes!
Argentina and Chile in January. Now that's something to look forward to!
We'll be looking forward to your first post, once you're feeling up to it.
Bye bye hip pain! :happydance:
@Owithurts

You are going to do beautifully!
Healing hugs in advance!

Hope all goes well with your new hip :) :-) (: see you back soon after your procedure , you can let us know how great you are doing:loveshwr:

So glad the surgery is over. Walked down the hall and did the steps this morning. Hopefully, will go home this afternoon. I started this earlier and I am home now . Doing okay, but lots of pain. I am in my recliner and had a pain pil so this might be a little jumbled. I do have a question, how many pairs of TED socks did you get? I have to wear them for 6 weeks up to 3 months. That’s a bummer. Thanks agian for all your help.

Oh yay! All done and on the way to healthy and happy!
:egypdance:
I know it's a bit jarring at first but All Temporary, dear @Owithurts !
I only got one pair, but wasn't relegated to wear for so long.
Certainly ask about extra pairs (though you might enjoy the reprieve as they are washed and dried):yes:
Healing hugs coming your way!:friends:

Last edited:
Thanks Mojo. Was very surprised at the amount of pain last night. Didn’t get to my room until 7:30 . Thanks again. Jane

Oh my stars...They probably didn't have that pain cocktail just right.:sad:
Don't be afraid to ask Well Before it gets out of hand.:yes:
Important to stay ahead of it.
My exalted OS (exalted NOW that I am through the worst) and surgical team never ordered me Ice and I was too fog-brained to ask...but do ask.
When I got home, I was amazed at how helpful it was!:ice:

Yes, I have had ice all day. My new best friend. One more hour until until my next pain pill. Yay! Has anyone heard from the others who were having their surgeries yesterday?

Well done for planning the January holiday. You will be well on the way to recovery by then. I had an op end of July and a holiday in January and lived it as finally got my life back. Stay ahead of the pain. The first three days can be tough.

@Owithurts
So glad to hear a fellow June Sunbeam is doing alright. I'm sorry you are having so many issues with pain. Maybe if you contact your doctors office they can help get you set up on something better or maybe a new timing for pain meds.

I just saw a post from @Chaotic who had it on June 6th. Doing well as well. I have missed or not seen any other June people yet. I'm ready to be joining yall on the recovery end soon!

Hi @Owithurts Fellow June Sunbeam! My surgery was June 7th and I am doing ok I think. It doesn't sound to me as though your pain meds are quite right yet. It makes such a difference, so do ask. I'm taking one day at a time really - this is a a very steep learning curve for sure!

@Owithurts I just read your question on the lovely TEDS :heehee:. I got one pair for my first surgery that I actually kept for some strange reason............maybe because I had a feeling I'd need them again. Anyway, I got another pair when I had my second hip done. At least that gave me a spare when I washed them. I was told to wear them for 4 weeks but "lost" mine (the dog ate them, lol) in 3 weeks. Sorry to hear you had a painful night but it will get better and the ice is a lifesaver. I slept with mine for at least 2 weeks! I hope you are feeling a bit better today and getting your rest. :flwrysmile:

Okay, this is Saturday, I had my surgery on Monday and I still have not had a Bm. Not feeling as good today as I have been. Running a low grade fever and just in general...yucky. My husband has been so good to me. Right now he is washing the laundry and he fixed a wonderful breakfast with lots of fruit. How long does the leg log last? This has been the worst that and not going to the bathroom. Guess they are tied for first. And the brain fog. Don’t get me started on that!!! Just took my temperature it is 101.3 degrees. Should I be very concerned? Thanks for all your help.

@Owithurts Are you taking a stool softener? And if you are on a narcotic it can constipate you. I'm not sure about the fever, my paperwork from my hospital says greater than 100.5 to check with my doctor. But that does not mean something is wrong. It could be lots of things that are not serious, you might want to ask your doctor if it stays up there. I'm just going by what my discharge papers say.

Your husband sounds like a sweetheart too. Hope you get relief soon.:flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom