Maybe round two!

linney619

Country
United States United States
I had a TKR Jan 20 2016, now my other has been bothering me one day I could hardly walk on it so I panicked and call my Doc. he left the hospital WHAT! so I'm seeing a doc in the same office he has a good reputation. I will know July 16th when he looks at the xrays. I have to look beyond the procedure knowing I will have 2 new knees. I will let you all know.

Hi twin! I have 2 new knees. I am around 12 weeks post op on no2.
Knowing what's ahead is good in that you can plan well as you know whats needed. Then of course there is anxiety regarding the challenge of the post op period.
With knee no 1 I did everything by the conventional books. My knee was a swollen, miserable mess.
With knee no 2 I followed Bonesmart philosophy. The difference was profound.
I rested for 2 weeks post op, elevated, compressed and used ice. I was amazed at how good it was. Yes a challenge still but not the OMG why did I do this from my previous experience. I was able to return to work at 3 weeks post op and have had no problems since.
Things that helped me:
A powered recliner
A cheap eg lifter
Lounge doctor pillow (but only needed it for the first week)
Game Ready (ice and compression machine which I hired).
I iced my knee far more than with knee no 1. That and rest were the difference (well I think that but how can you know).
My knee feels normal and has done from about week 2 post op.
So dont worry. Make your plan. Use the experiences on this site to help you decide what's best for you.
Its a huge leap of faith to ignore standard practice of PT. I figured that resting for 2 weeks would be the minimum rest that would be expected if you had a fracture or other surgery. So was comfortable doing this. Good luck. Soon the pain and disability will become rest, rehab and back to planning a normal life.

I have to ask . . . was your doc at Mass. General? I had my surgery with Dr. Freiberg there and my followup was one of his last appointments before going to work for Zimmer.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88