Bilateral THR Yogi recovery from BTHR.....

So far so good
So much stronger today
I even stood at the kitchen counter while hubbie cooked tea chatting with hardly any weight in my crutches. Such progress to not being able to stand at all four days back

Lookee there...and is not even day ten!:flwrysmile:
You are doing very well.
This will definitely be a dance...
Ebb and flow...but one day..
In the not so distant future...less and lots of flow!:egypdance:
Keep the faith @Yogigirl
You've got this!:ok:

Hi @Yogigirl, I had bilateral surgery, too. I also do yoga. I'm so glad that you said no to those leg raises. That is crazy. I didn't do them and my hamstrings are very flexible now. I am even able to do the Bikram series, (carefully.) at home.

I was on percoset and tramadol. The percoset gave me total relief, but it is an opiod. I had to get up at night and ice, too. It's a long journey.

My thighs were VERY tender after this surgery. It surprised me, because my hips had no pain. It was the thighs. They drill and hammer into the femur, so it makes sense.

@Hip Hip Hooray! interesting you should say that about your thighs as last night I entered another stage of healing... bruises ouch so much ouch
I can see why your surgeon gave stronger painkillers. I’m envious!
Throughout the day I was getting sorer and sorer thighs and when I asked my ever patient husband to look they’re black and blue!
It feels like a lot of swelling has gone down to reveal tender sore bruises
I cried a lot last night especially when I had to sit on the toilet as the seat digs right into the bruises. I’ve not got a riser as oir toilets are high but right not I’m So envious of that padding!
My thighs hurt so much...
and my left has also started to cramp occasionally. Can I use magnesium spray on such bruised legs? The cramps are almost as bad as the toilet seat
My poor husband is getting used to be walking and every step saying ouch and my eyes leaking a little! My mums up visiting today though so I want to be coping a bit better for when she’s here.
Apart from ice, painkillers and arnica what can people recommend?

Today I stood for about ten minutes watching my mum garden (planting some herbs and my weeds were sneaking through in the veg patch from all the recent rain showers and she wanted to make me feel better by getting it sorted)
At the time it felt completely ok hardly leaning on crutches but now my butt cheeks feel like I’ve done 300 squats and worked so hard. I’ve done no longer walks than pottering around the house today. Should I stop worrying I’ve overdone it or is it better to move to ease things out.
On the good side my saddlebags have halved in size and my painful bruising is already more comfortable. As in bearable to sit on a loo seat comfy rather than normal person comfortable!

At the time it felt completely ok hardly leaning on crutches but now my butt cheeks feel like I’ve done 300 squats and worked so hard. I’ve done no longer walks than pottering around the house today.
This is how we determine what is too much too soon.
Some of it is inevitable but in my opinion, short only necessary walks are still in order...use those aides to give those poor legs a reprieve. Lots of healing happening these early days.
You do need to move about and outside always inflated my spirit.
Just make sure you have a chair to sit in once you get out there!
All temporary so behave!:friends:

Last edited:
I have one leg recovering, but at the moment I have ice on stitches hot spot, ice on groin, ice on knee and I'm cold man....I see now why you were freezing one minute to help pain and miserable when you warmed up in the beginning. Things are much different than I expected, but I had no choice really nor do any of us.....

What you are describing is exacting how I felt, so my vote is that it’s normal. I agree with Mojo, you maybe pushing it in these early days. I did no exercise at that stage as I was home alone. I felt getting up to make meals, get to the bathroom, make tea, load dishwasher etc, was more than enough. Take it easy, ice and allow your body to heal. ❤️ Being outside is Wonderful. I hired a gardener to come and clean out my garden so I can sit out there and marvel. It’s so healing.

Ps I also used to cry sitting on the toilet. And mine is raised and I have lots of padding (not on the toilet but on me). I did notice yesterday that I can sit without too much pain, so it does get better!

Ps I also used to cry sitting on the toilet. And mine is raised and I have lots of padding (not on the toilet but on me).
Me too, and me too!:giggle:

Hang in there @Yogigirl
Things are going to level off.:friends:

I had the saddlebags, too. It was swelling, and it went away. I did have it a month after surgery, though. I remember women staring at it at the gym.

It sounds like you are under-medicated. That percoset was such a miracle pill for me, but I don't think they prescribe it where you are. Have you read Josephine's recommendations for pain relief? I can't remember where they are, but they seem to help people. I hope you find the right mixture.

I also found the raised toilet seat to be extremely helpful. I had anterior surgery, so my scars are on the side, though.

Ps I also used to cry sitting on the toilet. And mine is raised and I have lots of padding (not on the toilet but on me). I did notice yesterday that I can sit without too much pain, so it does get better!

LOL -- I remember that moment too! I have a raised seat AND a gel pad on the toilet 'cause it was so uncomfortable. Stylin' now!

a raised seat AND a gel pad on the toilet
You can get a gel seat for the toilet... I’m off shopping on Amazon. I’ve been trying to work out in my head if I can pad with towels under my swollen bits without peeing on them

@Cecropia ice everywhere sounds like me. My husband now just says codeine and ice when I start to whimper.

@Mojo333 @Hip Hip Hooray! I’m going to ask my surgeons secretary what the options are for more medication. Plus I promise to get a chair outside next time. Although I live in the Northwest of England it’s not often we get a chance to go outside without rain. I miss sunshine

I had this illusion that rehab would be a lot of hobbling around in the sunshine watering the garden!!! I forgot about the actual weather where I live!

:wave:@Yogigirl I don't know what time zone you are in, but we seem to be up wandering at the same time a lot. It's almost 4am here in MI. But I been up since 3am walking and now icing. I cant get rid of the stiffness yet. The first week I slept in bed, but the second week I have to sleep in my recliner at night. Last night I tried the bed again, but my leg begins to ache when I lay flat. Hummm? Now I'm just uncomfortable, so walked around a bit with my walker and figured ice for a bit and try getting back to sleep. I long for my cozy bed and fluffy pillows and side sleeping. Hope you are coming along well.....:flwrysmile:

Oh I did some digging, I see you are in the UK.:wave:

Yes sorry been busy seeing friends! Great but so tiring I’ve slept really well at night.
@Cecropia i find putting my lower legs on a pillow helps the stiffness
And yes I live in the NW of the UK.
@Mojo333 in the last few days I’ve not been able to weight bear without pain on my right leg. I saw the physio yesterday and she seemed unconcerned as she says it felt normal when my leg moved. However I spend most days trying to force myself to put my whole right foot down not just go on tiptoe as pain refers up through the hip as soon as I weight bear. It also aches much of the time. This only started a few days ago, before turn my right leg was my stronger leg.
I was going to contact and ask for an X-ray just to reassure myself. Would you say this is wise?

I certainly probably would have.
Possibly because it was predominantly stronger, it is predominantly been "taking the weight" so therefore is predominantly more sore?
I relied on my walker for the most part for the first three weeks or so, with the exception of a few solo exploratory walks cruising the sofa and countertops.
I'm sorry this is making you anxious, but I would not hesitate to call my OS with any concern.

Thank you
Just about to do so

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson
Recent bookmarks
Back