THR Hopefully Hippy Recovery

There is a three day period after the extraction where one can develop something called “dry socket” which is supposed to be very painful.... Am constantly rinsing out with warm salt water which I find rather soothing. Reminds me of my childhood and gargling for sore throat as a remedy. Just using paracetamol at the moment and, fingers crossed, so far so good. Apparently if an infection starts I will know all about it. Haven’t tried out my snorkel yet, one less tooth to bite on the lugs, but will try next weekend.

Hubby has been making homemade soup the last four days and I have lost weight. This might be the answer to difficult weight loss. Soup three days a week? Seems to work. Just don’t mention cabbage soup.!

New swimming costume is lovely so tempted to order another one from the same maker. Fits in “all the right places” ;/)

Hip liking the paracetamol and much less stiff but the scar still stings at the top which is odd.

Have a lovely weekend everyone . It is a beautiful day in sunny South East England..

You could try some other stuff like a baked gourmet mac & cheese, omelette, tender chicken & pasta. I have had several pulled over the years and carry on as usual for the most part but I do avoid ground meat in case a tiny crumb gets stuck.

The goggles magnify everything underwater ........

So far we have “Fit Bloke”, “Gay Boy” who, in a conversation in the Steam room revealed he had seen the Sound Of Music in A local village where my husband was the MD - and loved it! the “Hog-a-lots” who spend 15 mins swimming and then hog the jacuzzi for 45 mins. ewww! They produce so many bubbles it takes the jacuzzi ten minutes to clear so I stay well away.

Marine Boy” who is a scuba diver and practices with flippers - he is politely friendly and we discussed flipper technique for diving, and, “BruceLee”, a tatooed specimen who is attempting a length underwater and, rather than pool walking is practising karate kick moves in his swimming lane.

The female members are mostly lovely and the swimming contingent will be meeting up for drinks one night as the place has a fully functioning bar!

Sadly any attempts at Taiwindo would probably dislocate my hip. Then there is the “Blonde complain from Hell” a receptionist with a very grumpy attitude v “Heather from
Belfast” who is a delightful receptionist and the only person in any gym I have joined to check my card in and compliment me on my dedication.... she and I were cracking up at “Bruce Lee”Apparently he does “stuff with sticks in the gym”...

I definitely feel a mini series coming on! Who said that swimming was boring?!

Fabulous... certainly worthy of a mini series @SurreyGirl
You & @CarrieMay should write one together it would be hilarious!!!
I’m afraid my style of writing is concise & to the point so envy your abilities of entertaining writing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes please a mini series. Laughed at the cabbage soup reference. When was that late 90’s. It was all the rage for diets. Happy your dental work is healing nicely. Will be waiting for pool updates. :swim:

@SurreyGirl Good morning. In reading through your thread I saw that you had concerns about getting into a small car on the driver's side. How did you finally do it safely? My car isn't as small or low as yours--I have a Toyota Prius--similar in size to a Corolla (not sure what they're called in the UK) but I'm tall with long legs. Any advice welcome!

Hi @gertie

I put the seat back as far as it will go. I open the car door wide, turn so my bottom is facing the seat and then squat down into the seat. I am now at right angles to the steering wheel. I thenswing round. I do have to raise my leg a little at the knee to get in under the steering wheelbut it is fine. I then put the seat forward in order to have a comfortable driving position. . In early days I put a woolly hat between my hip and the seat belt. This stopped the belt rubbing on the scar.

Nearly a year out I still park so I can put the drivers door open as wide as possible and leave space so between the car and parking line so that a car cannot park too close to me!

Last edited:
hi!general question.

Recovery is going well but my scar is still quite pink. I moisturise it regularly and it doesn’t sting anymore. Any ideas?

Thanks!

@SurreyGirl Thanks for the reply! I tried it with the PT watching and managed to get in and out safely but it was a bit of a production! Yes, to needing a spot where I can open the door wide.

Hi @SurreyGirl
I've read several times it takes up to one year for the incision scar to turn white, but can also take longer for some. I've also read that fair skinned people have red scars longer :shrug: Not sure how fair you are?
You mentioned it's pink so it's obviously fading. If it were me, I wouldn't be concerned. If you are...notify your surgeon's office and ask if you can send a pic for them to reassure you all is well.
I hope you're having a nice weekend! :wave:

@SurreyGirl Thanks for the reply! I tried it with the PT watching and managed to get in and out safely but it was a bit of a production! Yes, to needing a spot where I can open the door wide.
Good to hear it helped! I used a plastic bag on the seat for a while to swivel round. I can now twist to get into the car but prefer not too…

A bit of an update as within 9 days of my one-year anniversary! After a bit of a slow start I am delighted to report that things have been going very well. I still get a bit stiff if sitting at the computer for too long but the swimming and now gym work have really helped. My right knee is reacting better too and the weight is coming off.

I have recently come back from another holiday and my Leki, apart from hiking, stayed in the suitcase. I stayed at three different resorts, all with different hippie challenges, the first involving a spiral staircase in the villa and 92 steep steps to the beach, the second being getting in and out of transport shuttles on steep slopes with quite a steep step up into the shuttle (Toyota Lightace taxis) , and the third was the most interesting, the beach sloped and the sand was very soft making getting out of the water difficult. The resort had helpfully provided a rope tied to a tree that I could use to haul myself out. But I went hobiecat sailing at all three resorts, did a lot of snorkelling with complete confidence, and even found myself salsa dancing one night… I had a really good time. And the hard work paid off. But the best thing is being able to stand up and have conversations without being the "little old lady" who has to sit down after 5 minutes! It is the small things.
Thanks so much for all the support on here. I appreciate all of you…
Now facing another medical issue that is not hip-related so fingers crossed! I have had enough of hospitals for the time being :)

What a reassuring report! Have to say I shuddered at the thought of getting into those shuttles and hauling oneself out of the ocean with a rope! How wonderful that you felt up to those challenges--gives hope.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
rubyedith
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom