2 weeks to go - am I ready?

Cynof4

Country
United States United States
Bonesmart friends,
Thank you for your words of encouragement, sage advice and just plain honesty about TKR. I'm 2 weeks out now and checking off the boxes of the things I've prepared. I guess as much as we prepare we won't really know what to expect until it's our time. Here is my list of preparations. Do you see anything I'm missing?

*ice machine- Game Ready
*toilet seat riser
*shower chair
*Lounge Dr
*extra wide automatic recliner
*pathways clear around the house
* PT prehab
*slip on shoes
*elastic waist shorts
*joint replacement class
*freezer food
*mom flying in the day before :roseshwr:
*husband off work for 2 weeks
*dental checkup complete
*PCP checkup complete

While I know these aren't all essential for everyone, they are for me. I'm a planner:happydance:
Anything I need to add?

@BCSAnna,
Can you believe it's only 2 weeks now???

Tomorrow is our last day with students and Monday is my last day of work for this school year. After that it will be pool time, popsicles and sweet summer memories for a week before surgery. I'm trying to soak it all up while I can.

Wishing you all a super summer no matter where and what your journey entails!
~Cynthia

Hi @Cynof4 i am now only '4 sleeps' until the big day - cannot believe its come round so quickly. I have pretty much completed the checklist (predicure - gel removal :bawl:completed/ and leg wax) - the day before i have a hair appointment as not sure when i will get it done again after and then thats it.
Typically on my op day is the day my youngest has a taster day at his new secondary school so my husband will need to take him to that.. so i will be at the hospital alone. I have had ops before so not really too bothered as before i get so nervous i am not up for much conversation.

I just want to get it done now and be on the other side. Last day of work tomorrow so busy getting everything sorted for that as well.

Enjoy the next week and here's to our new knees.

Wow, you sound super prepared! The Game Ready ice machine is great. I’m 15 days post op LTKR and I think its helped me tremendously. I’ve been using an old pillow case to slip over my leg before putting the Game Ready wrap on, it protects the skin, but lets the cold come through. Best of luck!

@Cynof4
I can think of a couple of extra things.
Grabber or maybe 2. One upstairs and one down
A long handled shoe horn.

As well as those essentials you might find it useful to put together a bag of things to keep you occupied. Such as books/magazines, adult colouring book and pens, jig saws, knitting/crafts. Basically whatever will hold your interest while you are out of action for a bit.

@Cynof4

Hi Cynthia:wave:

Yes, it won't be long for us now...less than two weeks!

Like you, I am coming down the home stretch as far as my pre-op preparations go. Today, I finished packing my roll-a-board for the hospital. No, I am not too eager to get this surgery over with am I?:heehee:

As for additional aids for daily living, I purchased, from Amazon, (got to love that prime membership), one of those hip/knee replacement kits. In addition to having two different length grabbers and a long handle shoe horn, the kit also contains: a sock helper; a dressing hook helper; a long handle bath sponge; and a leg lifter helper for making it easier to get in and out of bed. Another little gem that I purchased from Amazon was a small book, "Knee Surgery Recovery Plan Journal - Walk Ice Drugs Repeat." The book is a small journal where you can record and keep track of your daily medications; your icing; and your physical therapy exercises. I am pretty sure it will come in handy when I am experiencing opioid brain fog after surgery and can't remember if I took which pill when.:what:

Like you, I am trying to squeeze in as much summer as I can before our surgery date. We had nice sunny, hot, summer weather over the holiday week-end and spent time each day out on our boat. I probably won't get another opportunity to go boating until we "snowbird" down in Florida over the winter. And so, I wanted to enjoy it while I still could.

We also opened our pool over the week-end and are now engaged in our annual summer fun game of, "What chemicals do we need to add now to clear up this mess?" I still can't figure out how you can close up a pool in the fall, with perfect pool water chemistry, only to open up that pool in the spring and the water then resembles a cess pool!:yikes::scratch:

As for setting up a recovery nesting area, in addition to the usual books, puzzles, DVDs, etc., I have also included a small lunch size cooler bag and a small basket for healthy snacks. That way, when it comes time to take my various medications, I will have some food and cold water/drinks to take with the medication and won't have to disturb my spouse, or the cats, during the middle of the night to fetch me those things.

Well surgery buddy, I hope you enjoy your time between the end of school and the 12th. I'll be checking in with you again before that day, in the meantime, take care Cynthia.

Anna:flwrysmile:

Hi Cynthia! I am like you.......I wanted everything in order, the things I could control.... ready for pre-surgery date. I am now 2 1/2 weeks out and doing well. It always comes down to one day at a time. I will be following you closely as my fellow TPF' er comrade.:console2:

@newpartial,
Yes, I almost forgot about the pedicure :heehee: I've got that scheduled now. I had my hair cut and colored last week. I'm trying to stay focused but my mind wonders a bit... I have medical appts all day next Wednesday, June 5th. That should be fun!
I so admire those of you that go this alone. I just couldn't do it. Both my mom and husband are going with me to the hospital, my brother will be anxiously awaiting a professional courtesy call from my surgeon, and my adult children have set up a group text (and included me) that has been hilarious!:rotfl: Think- you know your momma's getting old when...They know that keeping me laughing will help. The hospital has 24 hour visiting privileges- so I think I'll have plenty of company.
Just a few more sleeps for you now! I'm looking forward to reading about your recovery! Thanks for checking in!
~Cynthia

@Bionic,
I just purchased a knee replacement recovery kit that includes the items you mentioned. As for things to occupy my time... I love to read so I'll load up on books by my favorite authors and see how that goes. I also suspect I'll be binge watching a few series I don't have time for during the school year. :yahoo:You have to love forced relaxation :snork:~ something I'm not very good at naturally!!!
Thanks for the advice!
~Cynthia

@Cynof4

Hi Cynthia:wave:

Yes, it won't be long for us now...less than two weeks!

Like you, I am coming down the home stretch as far as my pre-op preparations go. Today, I finished packing my roll-a-board for the hospital. No, I am not too eager to get this surgery over with am I?:heehee:

As for additional aids for daily living, I purchased, from Amazon, (got to love that prime membership), one of those hip/knee replacement kits. In addition to having two different length grabbers and a long handle shoe horn, the kit also contains: a sock helper; a dressing hook helper; a long handle bath sponge; and a leg lifter helper for making it easier to get in and out of bed. Another little gem that I purchased from Amazon was a small book, "Knee Surgery Recovery Plan Journal - Walk Ice Drugs Repeat." The book is a small journal where you can record and keep track of your daily medications; your icing; and your physical therapy exercises. I am pretty sure it will come in handy when I am experiencing opioid brain fog after surgery and can't remember if I took which pill when.:what:
/QUOTE]

Wow, I never thought of those aides, might have been helpful. I'm seeing that no matter how much help you have from a spouse or significant other, there are things you'll have to do for yourselves. I've relied on a (so far) strong core and back, reaching for things when one leg is compromised. Not much time for you 6/12 surgeries, but something to consider. BTW, the physical therapists despise the leg assisted strap, feel that people get accustomed to it and use it far too long.

Ken

@BCSAnna
Hello, Anna :flwrysmile:

Just 12 days away now!!!

What is a roll a board?

I purchased the kit as suggested. It should arrive on Sunday. My hubby ordered a super duper extra wide recliner for me due to be delivered next week. I am VERY excited about that! Family and friends are always telling me I should write, but to tell the truth, I'd rather TELL a good story then write one. Apparently I have the gift of gab :rofsign:Who knew? I have tried journaling many times and never had much success with it. My husband, however, will have alarms set on his Apple watch and be poking pills at me on a regular schedule. This is one of those times his military training comes in handy. He can drop off to sleep in an instant so getting up with me will not be an issue. It takes me forever to fall back to sleep :bored:.

We enjoyed fun in the sun Memorial weekend as well. I got a little to much sun, but it has already faded. I'm hoping to be at least enjoying morning coffee on the pool deck by mid to late July. We started working on our pool water close to Easter this year and had it ready by Mother's Day. The struggle is real though to keep that water crystal clear and safe. We have to use an algaecide pretty much year round.

Snack basket and small cooler sounds like a great idea! I think I'm nesting in the family room so that should be pretty easy. We don't want to disturb the cats- although I think they will miss me in bed!:meow:

Yes, school's out for the kids here in Texas. Just one more day of work for me. Thank you for your encouragement and support! It's comforting to know that I am not alone on June 12th!!!:console2:

I'll update you next Wednesday after my pre-op admission and testing.

(((hugs))),
~:flwrysmile:Cynthia

@fenway09 ,
I'm so glad to hear that you are doing well!!! Through the reading on here it does seem that it is a day by day journey. I continue to follow your recovery story so keep us updated!

I am looking forward to "S" day to get this show on the road, but looking forward to a little downtime before they roll me into the OR.

Thanks for your support and encouragement! I'm looking forward to posting a RECOVERY thread :).

~Cynthia

As for things to occupy my time... I love to read so I'll load up on books by my favorite authors and see how that goes.
You may find that, for th first few weeks, you suffer from "brain fog" and you can't concentrate long enough to read a book.
Like you, I had a stack of books, but initially all I could manage was about half a magazine page.

@Cynof4

Hi Cynthia,

A roll-a-board is a piece of rolling luggage, usually sized 22"x 14"x 9", which is the size limitation for carry-on luggage of most US airline carriers. The name, roll-a-board comes from the fact that you can roll it aboard the aircraft.:) :-) (: Believe me, I wish I were planning on rolling that bag on to an aircraft headed to some exotic tropical location instead of where it is actually going!:scare:

Glad to hear that you also had a good holiday week-end. I know only too well about too much sun exposure. I am as fair skin as they come, a beach bum at heart, and live in a coastal resort town in Delaware. Not the ideal mix. And so, I slather on the #50 sunscreen like I am vacationing at the equator! However, my secret to looking like a real beach bum is thanks to St. Tropez self tanner. :ok:

Hopefully, before the end of summer we will both get to enjoy our pools. My OS said that once my incision is completely healed that I can go into our pool. So,
maybe we can do our own hydro therapy.:swim:

Lastly, I have a chuckle for you. My 4 year old grandson, who is obsessed with anything pirate related, heard his parents talking about my upcoming knee surgery and asked, "Will Nana then have a peg leg like a pirate?":rotfl: Good Lord I hope not!:beg:

Anna:flwrysmile:

Thanks for your list. I coming up on my surgery next month and I will use it to get ready.

@Cynof4
I am behind you on the 24th but will be doing this alone.
To your list I added:
Credit card (better to call Door Dash with)
Garage door opener (to let people in)
Two pillow stacks made as illustrated on the elevation article on Bone smart- one will be in the back seat of the car that will pick me up
I asked the OS to pre call post surgical pain meds to the Pharmacy so that I do not have to wait in pain for a delivery from HEB (I am in San Antonio)
Small additional cooler to hold ice bottles for the machine

As a planner myself, I know the walls will start to close in.....
So I posted a sign on the ceiling that I will be looking at while on the couch...
“This is temporary...now spell temporary backwards 5 times”
By that time...I will be distracted......seriously spelling words backwards is hard....try it!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom