Revision TKR Swmrgirl’s Recovery<

I hope you get your meds refilled. It’s amazing the hoops we have to jump through to get decent pain relief.

Thought I knew what to expect since I’ve been through this surgery before, but it’s true, every knee is different.

I actually live in San Anselmo, about 20 miles north of SF. The weather is absolutely gorgeous today :SUNsmile:

Have you gotten the pain somewhat controlled? I certainly hope so. It takes time as you know to get back on track. I set my phone alarm so I wouldn't miss any nighttime doses of meds. (We all learn this after we've slept those one dosage!)

I know your very early in recovery but if its a nice day I'd highly recommend sitting on the porch / patio. Not for a long time, but the fresh air and vitamin D are so great for our moods.

I've just come inside from sitting out 'supervising' hubby planting the garden. I was out there around 20 or so minutes. Now time for elevation and ice.

Pain is a little better @eaglemom. This recovery is more uncomfortable than the first two, and I haven’t quite figured out how to control the pain levels yet. I should probably be taking higher doses than I am. Just woke up from a nap, so I’ll go sit outside with my son and husband and catch some vitamin D rays.

This recovery is more uncomfortable than the first two, and I haven’t quite figured out how to control the pain levels yet. I should probably be taking higher doses than I am.
I’m going to tag @Josephine to address this.

I just had a thought about your shoulders hurting. Maybe the height of the walker isn't correct for you. I'm sure someone can confirm it, but the handles should be at the break of your wrist - I think. If its too high or low that could be part of the problem.

Hopefully the sun felt good and relaxed you some. Are you taking any muscle relaxants?

(This third time is totally different than the first two replacements for me also.)

My shoulder pain may very well be from the walker. I already had an impingement on the right side from an injury in September and I think between the walker and hoisting myself around with my arms, I aggravated the left shoulder too. The home PT comes tomorrow, so I’ll have her check the walker height when she’s here. I’m not taking muscle relaxants, but I’ll ask about those too.

I did realize that first week that I had a very tight grip on my walker and my body was very tense doing those short walks, I was in a lot of pain, afterall. I had to keep telling myself I didn’t have to hold on to it so tight.

And between using my arms so much to help me get up or adjust my positions, and grasping the PT table very tightly when my PT pushed my knee to an excruciating level, I ended up with acute tendinitis in my shoulder at 1 week post op. (As if my leg didn’t hurt enough. :hairpulling:) My shoulder pain was a 10 and the Dilaudid I was taking didn’t touch it.

I think checking the height of the walker is a good idea, too.

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

Happy to answer your questions, Josephine.

Last edited:
Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how swollen is your leg compared to these?
ai63.tinypic.com_eta39s.jpg

4. what is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

5. are you icing your knee at all? If so, how often and for how long?

6. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

1. If I include swelling in the pain score it’s consistently a 5. My left calf is extremely stiff and feels like it will not stretch.

2. 5 mg oxycodone - 1 tablet every 4 hours
500 mg acetaminophen - 2 tablets every 6 hours

3. Moderate swelling

4. Extension 4; Flex 92 (unassisted for both)

5. Icing for at least one hour every 2 hours during the day and the throughout the night. (If I’m sitting or lying down, I have ice on my knee).

6. Elevating my leg when icing throughout the day for at least one hour every 2 hours and through the night.

7. Very little meal prep/house work. I have assistance for 2 weeks.

8. No regular PT or exercises at this time (Following Bonesmart Guidelines)

8 to 10 short walks around the house for 5 to 8 minutes when I need to move around or when I get up to use the bathroom.

A few ankle pumps or foot rotations when foot feels stiff. 10 reps, 4 x per day.

Sitting with legs hanging over side of the bed when getting up to use bathroom.

1. If I include swelling in the pain score it’s consistently a 5. My left calf is extremely stiff and feels like it will not stretch.
Oh, okay.
2. 5 mg oxycodone - 1 tablet every 4 hours
500 mg acetaminophen - 2 tablets every 6 hours
Excellent!
3. Moderate swelling
Okay
4. Extension 4; Flex 92 (unassisted for both)
Oh,maybe could do with a little more
5. Icing for at least one hour every 2 hours during the day and the throughout the night. (If I’m sitting or lying down, I have ice on my knee)
good
6. Elevating my leg when icing throughout the day for at least one hour every 2 hours and through the night.
good
7. Very little meal prep/house work. I have assistance for 2 weeks.
okay
8. No regular PT or exercises at this time (Following Bonesmart Guidelines)
good
8 to 10 short walks around the house for 5 to 8 minutes when I need to move around or when I get up to use the bathroom.
that's fine
A few ankle pumps or foot rotations when foot feels stiff. 10 reps, 4 x per day.
You shouldn't need ankle pumps at this stage.
Sitting with legs hanging over side of the bed when getting up to use bathroom.
You mean face down? That's not good. Don't recommend it.

Just thought I’d post a little 6 week update.

I think my revision went very well and my knee feels much better than the first time around. I could tell the difference the first week after surgery. It’s stable and I have very little swelling. My flex is about 125 and my ext is about 3. I’m guessing at these numbers because I haven’t had measurements done for 4 weeks, but I can tell my ROM is improving each week.

I am not doing any formal PT, just some walking a bit of stretching and a whole lot of icing and lying around. I’m really not all that interested in the numbers, just as long as my knee works well! The pressure from the therapists and doctor’s office to do PT and really push ROM and strengthening is tremendous, but I just nod and smile, and thank them for their concern. I’m down to 5mg Oxy at night and Tylenol every 6 hours. I really can't believe how good I feel this time around, and it’s absolutely true that no two knees are alike. I see my OS on Thursday, so we’ll see what he says about all this.

Wow, that is great news. Good for you. I'm sure your OS will be pleased, and I bet your measured also. But as you've said, the numbers don't matter as long as the knee bends. Report back after your appointment.

That is one heck of a report. You have done amazingly well for six weeks.

Keep up the great work.

Hope you feel better very soon. I'm a little over 3 weeks from surgery and it improves. Hang in there!

My recovery, as with most knee replacements, has not been without tears and frustration, but overall I’m doing very well.

I saw my OS today and he said he was very pleased with my progress, and the xrays look great. He said I had lost quite a bit more bone on my tibia than was visible on the xrays prior to surgery, so the procedure took longer than originally anticipated.

I told him I was thinking about going back to work in a couple of weeks (because I’m starting to go stir crazy) and he said he would rather I take the whole three months and concentrate on recovery. I may work from home a little, just to keep my mind occupied.

Thank you to everyone for your kind support and encouragement. I think I’ll take a nap now!

I told him I was thinking about going back to work in a couple of weeks (because I’m starting to go stir crazy) and he said he would rather I take the whole three months and concentrate on recovery.
Good for him! But you don't need to concentrate 'on your recovery', you need to concentrate on not doing things that will impede it!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom