TKR DLR recovery #2

One day, you watch, I'll post a story like yours on here. You have done amazingly well in your recovery and I'm so proud of you.

Keep up the great work.

Reactions: DLR
:loveshwr::yes!::happydance::egypdance:

Not enough emojis for how happy I am for you. Knew you would do it!!!

That's a fantastic post for 7 weeks, don't think I could have done that then, in fact I'm sure I couldn't. We'll done to you and your knees!

Your posts are so helpful to me, thanks!

@Lindylee i was thankful to make it..but I have been sitting on my butt recovering since..it is a balance game
@julieskan thank you... it’s what I love about the forum, reading others accounts brings perspective and hope

You're right about that balancing act DLR. After a day out yesterday (even though it was sitting most of the time), washing windows and cleaning oven today plus dancing tonight I'm now sitting icing my knee! It's good getting back to doing normal things though.

7 1/2 weeks, had a visit with my surgeon he is happy with the knee. Accomplishment today, getting into( and out of ) the Miata for this mornings errands. Beautiful day for a drive with the top down!

I have just read your whole thread, having done a search on valgus knee, and am now hopeful.

You see last night I had a big barny with my hubby about my 'poor recovery' of valgus. I am 3 weeks post op and feeling really positive, but DH says I am fooling myself and the new new has done nothing to help the leg angle, he even took a picture an showed me the off alightment, and said I should go back to the OS and tell him I want it fixed. I do not want to even contemplate another op at this point, and said I want to give it time and see if muscles adjust and I start walking straighter. Your journey is giving me the energy to keep staying positive and resting and healing.
:thankyou:

@lisabl glad my story can encourage you. I just read through yours, it sounds like you are doing well. Valgus knees present their challenges.
I started outpatient physio yesterday with my favourite trusted pt. The focus is on getting my quads working properly and dealing with the it band and hamstring attachment. All are because of years of valgus knees. She does ultrasound, tens, stretches, cupping and deep massage.
At 8 weeks I am doing well in many ways. I can bicycle outside, I am back playing piano in fact today will be playing a funeral (sitting on the piano bench for lengths of time is the accomplishment). This past weekend we went to see a friend who is very ill with cancer, nearly 4 hour drive each way so a total of 8 hours in a car in one day. My biggest challenge is walking, with one knee 8 months old and one knee 8 weeks old the reality of weak muscles shows itself...but that means it is something I can work on.
Keep on patiently Day by day....

I'm so happy to see your recovery is going so well. Sorry to hear about your friend. I had an intense urge to ride my bicycle last week :biking:now that I have good ROM. So I went out and pulled my bicycle out of the shed only to find it with two flat tires the chain and gears rusted LOL haven't used my bicycle since my first TKR 2012. So bicycling is going to have to wait until I buy a new one LOL Good luck with physical therapy and keep up the great work.

Last edited:
Will be following your recovery. You're doing great! Car trip at eight weeks is amazing. Lucy!

9 weeks post op. Walking is still painful especially at the back of the knee. I think it is hamstrings being too tight.
Also I am working on weak quads just trying to regain walking with out pain.
Otherwise I have many positives. My bend is 125 , extension hasn’t quite got to 0 yet. We enjoyed a 3 hour drive in the Miata yesterday. I can bicycle around town pain free as well as sit without elevating as required.
A week Friday we will put things to the test as we head north to help open a children’s camp. It is an 11 hour drive, Camp is very simple cabins with central washrooms so will be doing more walking than I have been but will take ice packs, crutches and my cane and they know I will have limitations.
Hope everyone is finding little things to celebrate while we work hard on recovery!

10 weeks... I am currently going to physio 2 times a week. She is doing deep massage, dry needling, cupping massage, tens and ultrasound. All have helped the hamstrings and it band stretch out to the new normal. My chiropractor is working on nerve pain referred from the lumbar area.
Straightening of valgus knees means realigning many skeletal areas and it takes time to correct years of compensating. My walking is getting better but still limited to some degree by pain and fatigue. I suspect time will slowly produce endurance as I keep on moving day to day.
We all want to be better NOW... but hang in there everyone this takes time and patience!!

Good morning All! Just writing to hopefully encourage those on the journey. I am 10 months post RTKR and 12 weeks post LTKR. Both knees were valgus and therefore lots of post surgery ITband and hamstring pain as they have and are adjusting to the straightened knee causing increased stretching.
I just returned from a week in the bush in Northern Ontario opening a children’s camp for the summer. The trip is 10 hours including 1 hour on a logging road. My knees handled the trip beautifully, no pain and no swelling. We made 3 stops in total to stretch or grab a bite to eat.
Up at camp I was the cook for between 12 and 20 people. Making homemade breads, desserts and our main course meals. I left the cleaning to others so I could build time to rest elevate and ice. The knees did amazingly well especially considering the rough terrain, tree roots, central washroom a ways from my cabin. I only needed to use my cane one evening about 5 days in as the youngest knee was complaining. I was amazed I had very little swelling especially as I was on my feet more and definitely walked more. I am tired but feeling accomplished.
Take courage fellow bonesmarties there is hope!

Amazing!!!!! Can't wait to get there. Hugs L

That is amazing for a 12 week old knee!

Diane:
Did you know that your valgus was corrected after surgery? I think mine look still somewhat valgus? I sure hope not. L

That's an amazing post DLR. You're doing so well. Do you think the new knee is doing so well because you now have 2 straight legs? I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't have my other one done sooner rather than later.

I must tell you that whenever I type your forum name it makes me smile. In London we have a DLR transport system - Docklands Light Railway. :heehee:

@Lucy1 My knees are valgus and I didn't notice his straight my new knee/leg was until some time in. At first when I laid down and lifted my leg up the lower leg kept swinging inwards, but it doesn't do that anymore.Do you feel your first leg is still valgus?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back