Will I at least lose some weight during this process?

Ddole

Country
United States United States
Hello everybody,
I’m having my surgery this Tuesday, May 28th. RTKR. Getting real nervous of course! I am about 10 pounds more than I (realistically) wish. (Twenty pounds less would be great!) My BMI is almost 27. I swore eight months ago when I planned this surgery I would lose at least five pounds to take the pressure off my knees. Well, I didn’t, but instead gained about four pounds!
I wonder what most people’s experiences are regarding weight gain or loss immediately after surgery? Thanks!

I lost at least 10 pounds, I had no appetite. I had started to lose some weight prior to surgery, at Dr.s request. After surgery, I wasn't really hungry at first, and not being able to drive to the fast food joints really helped too!:heehee:
I think it is fairly common. Also, the bonus is you will lose weight as the swelling goes down!

Sadly I did not lose weight. I didn’t lose my appetite for long, either.

I lost weight 15lb my first TKR oxy made everything taste like dirt. 2nd TKR different oxy, staying the same weight. Go figure

Any surgery I have had has achieved weight loss... pity it came back.

Good luck

I lost weight as my appetite went. I think its a mix of the surgery and all of the different meds.
Unfortunately the weight loss didn't stay off. My appetite came back and its difficult not to have the things you like when you are a bit down. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Once you get to the stage when you are feeling up to it you will be able to exercise as you couldn't do beforehand. :tennis2::treadmill::upright::swim:

I didn't lose any of the weight I gained over the years between my TKR and revision, as I had a fairly easy recovery this time around and no loss of appetite. It's difficult to lose weight when you're unable to move around as usual, even when strictly watching what you eat, and it seems to me it gets harder as we get older. Some people have a total loss of appetite between the surgery and the pain meds; many of those lose some weight. IMHO, the best way to lose any extra weight, and keep it off, is to lose it as you began to take your life back and can once again live your usual active lifestyle. Because I'm still having some issues, and can't be as active as I'd like, I am strictly watching what I eat; even doing that it's not coming off as fast as I'd like. The combination of eating sensibly and being active is what has helped me in the past, so I am hopeful I'll be able to resume my active lifestyle in the near future. That may be what has led to you gaining a few pounds, and you may find it comes back off after the TKR and recovery period as you begin to be more active. Good luck tomorrow, and see you on the other side!

Sadly, like Jockette, I did not lose weight post surgery. I had worked hard prior to surgery and lost 40 pounds over the course of several months. I had friends bringing food for the first few weeks and I'm sure that didn't help either. I think it is a highly individual thing whether you lose much appetite immediately following surgery. When I got home from the hospital I was 10 pounds heavier than presurgery. I expect most of that was swelling and I lost 5 of that in a week or two as some swelling went down. The rest did not come off at all then. Most of us are more sedentary than usual for several weeks or even months after surgery and that doesn't help either. But eventually we get more active than before and that helps.

I lost my appetite but I doubt I lost much weight. If I did it came right back. What is good is that once you're recovered you can be active. But unfortunately active knees don't help you (me) control that sweet tooth. :heehee:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom