TKR Bone Spur's recovery thread^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bone Spur

Country
United States United States
I am starting my thread this afternoon as I also don't have one of those smart phones and my surgery is tomorrow, May 22nd, so I won't be able to get on my computer until I get back home. I am having a left total knee replacement. :dubious: I will see you ladies and gentlemen on the other side.

We’ll be waiting to hear from you here when you’re home. All the best tomorrow! In the meantime here’s you’re recovery guidelines.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thank you KarriB. I have printed all of these guidelines and put a sticker on each section for reference. I will be in touch.

I hope you’re the first surgery of the day and able to sleep tonight.

Good Morning from the state of Georgia. My left total knee replacement was yesterday around 4. I have been to PT this morning and I had 0 extension and 120 ROM. Last night was up and down, but today is good so far.

I had my left total replacement May 22 around 4 pm. Last night was a little rough. Today has been awesome. I had my first PT and my ROM was 120. Of course I still have the nerve block so that could be the reason I am feeling well

That’s an amazing ROM, but don’t be surprised or upset if the number drastically drops when the pain block wears off and swelling increases. This ROM of 120 now is proof that all is well, and you will regain it again as your leg heals.

Don’t fall for any of the threats about a window of opportunity or that you have to do a lot of exercises, or any of that. Don’t let anyone bend your knee for you in the future.

It’s not exercising that gets our range of motion back, it’s Time:

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and in the early weeks does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.

Thank jockette. I have forgotten about how it will be after the nerve wears off. I will prepare myself for lower numbers.

You’re off to a great start!

Also remember we call this recovery a rollercoaster, for good reason. Try to relax, you’re in for the long haul and we’ll be right here with you all the way. :console2:

Thanks for the reminder. I'm starting to hurt again. I am sure I overdid it this morning.

Good Afternoon everyone. I am day 3 of post-op on a left total knee replacement. I am doing and feeling well. I don't use my walker and occasionally I use my walker. I am icing and elevating. Doing my PT as ordered. Thanks for all of the advice I have been given.

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

@Bone Spur I'm glad you are doing well so far. I am a day ahead of you but have a fire hose full of water in place of my leg. :shocked:I am glad you are able to go without your walker, though I'm not even going to try. My goal (and orders!!!) were to reduce the swelling as much as possible, since I'm in the "severe" category, so I'm taking it super easy. I hope your recovery continues to go well.

@Bone Spur so glad you are doing well. Great ROM numbers to start. Be cautious with the PT. No PT should go to the hurt zone and watch for set backs. If you are swelling too much, cut back.

I am one day after you and am really taking it easy this time. My knee cap was full of bone spurs. I had my left knee done on 4/11 and did really well I do believe in listening to your body and don’t push to hard, especially in the first few weeks.

Great going and keep it up!

Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how swollen is your leg compared to these?
ai63.tinypic.com_eta39s.jpg

4. what is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

5. are you icing your knee at all? If so, how often and for how long?

6. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

My first PT from the doctor. My ROM was still 120 and my extension is zero. I have really done well and I attribute my success to preparation by reading this forum. I have lots of bruising though.

@Bone Spur I am glad you are doing so well this early on, and I hope it continues to go well. It's hard to believe we had surgery the same day. :) I can't lie. I saw your range of motion numbers and had a huge surge of jealousy. :tantrum2: Just once, I'd like to have a miraculous, "un-Lisa like" recovery and go back to normal quickly. It is what it is, but wow----you are doing wonderfully. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks