I have a date now for surgery....

To help avoid breaking the 90° rule every time I sit down I plan to get one of these Getting a Lift Chair is another option, you can get used ones on craigslist.

Here goes my long update... Had my last app with my OS today. I was nearly in tears when I got there and laughing when I left. I've been so confused with what PT told me about after surgery restrictions and worrying about dislocating. When I started my questions list, he answered them all. My restrictions were not to fall down. So he advised me to not roller skate or go cross country skiing anymore, breaking my hip concerned him after having a new hip. I can live with that. I can ride my bicycle pretty safely, much less chance of falling as I don't try to throw myself off or go too fast or go off road anymore. He said cross your ankles if you want, (that's a really bad habit of mine) it won't dislocate your hip. Sleep on your good side as soon as you want to if its comfortable, even the day after surgery. Why do you think you have to sleep on your back? You don't need a pillow between your legs, but if you want one okay. He showed me how to get off a chair, much different than PT. He said quit worrying about the recliner, it won't dislocate your hip, just use it. Then he put my good leg in a very unnatural awkward position and said now this might dislocate your new hip. He even showed me how to bend over and pick things up from the floor. My mouth was hanging open by then. He said I would have to work very hard to dislocate my hip because of how much better they are put in, though possible in certain positions like falling and ways not common for humans. So I left knowing I would still be careful, but much more at ease. Drive as soon as off narcotics. Have staples, but waterproof dressing and can shower as soon as I want w/o covering. Hummmm. Walking best PT. He had me laughing before he left. He said "See ya Tuesday" I'm still scared....:thud: but do feel better.

Wondering if your surgeon is my surgeon? But mine said NO PT! NONE. Just to walk as much as I feel able.

I like the sound of your surgeon. He seems laid back and I think that goes along way in giving you the confidence you need in all of this. I wouldn't worry so much about the restrictions. Not sure what approach your OS is using but I experienced Posterior with zero restrictions. I was only cautioned to move slowly and to stop immediately if anything hurt. More and more surgeon's seem to be steering away from restrictions. While you definitely should follow your surgeon's direction, remember many of us didn't have restrictions and we're doing just fine.
You've got this, I think you'll do great!
@Cecropia

He does posterior. Thanks for the encouragement. @Layla

Last edited:
@Cecropia Sounds like your surgeon is from the same school as mine! I loved the don't fall down, seems I heard that today too!
:heehee:

Just a few more days till you are on the recovery road and no more pain increasing and limiting your life.

Today is washing and packaging my 3 day outfits. I decided to wash my sheets today and Monday. It seems silly to do the hebiclenze (sp) and not have clean sheets tonight and Monday night.

After surgery and the wound is closed, can you go back to a more normal routine of regular cleaning?

• Agree
Reactions: CPH
We did the clean sheets on shower day (or I should say hubby did because he wanted to) but no one recommended that and the PA seemed surprised and said normal routine at my 3 week visit. It’s just that pre-op “keep it as clean as possible” into surgery. Not too much longer now. It may be hard to envision right now, but a little while post op you’ll be so proud of all the pre-op activities you did and smile at how “naive” you felt. Post op you are suddenly experienced and soon become a true veteran. Just do your best and follow your wonderful OS’s instructions and you’ll be great. We’ll be right here beside you cheering you on. :flwrysmile:

You are going to do great! Keep up the positive attitude and remember to ask for ice in the hospital if they forget to offer it. So far 3 days post, I have been pleasantly surprised. Some pain in muscles and at incision, but not near as bad as I imagined and none in my joint or knee.

@CPH Thanks. I am following your post surgery. I'm hoping to not need too much narcotics for long and hoping Tylenol will work sooner than later....will see:) :-) (::fingersx: Sorry it did not work out sleeping on your good side, I'll probably have the same problem. Recliner here I come....:heehee:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom