THR itsahippy recovery thread

Thanks @HertsHippy

You might be right- walked 10 mins downhill today- shin pain again...

Probably 20 back up - shins not as bad but shattered afterwards, wound sore, hip area aching & fell asleep pretty quick after!

Totally agree that the actual movement of the hip walking is super smooth

Hi @itsahippy
I hope you're having a good day and your post op visit was a good one. Let us know how it went if you feel like sharing.
Hopefully your sleep has improved over the week.
Wishing you a peaceful evening!

Thanks @Layla

The meeting was good. Technically the Op has gone well, all fitted perfectly on the X-Ray, wound healing well & the long term expectation is I should have a good recovery & even get back to racket sports (eventually) which I thought was a no no!

Probably another 6 weeks to shift my remaining aches, pains, swelling etc & hopefully the exhaustion too

Really hoping the pain on & around my knee will clear off soon!

Have a lovely weekend

Great news, good post op visit! @itsahippy
I think you'll be feeling quite different 6 weeks from now. Much stronger and more energized.
I'd continue icing the knee when you're just sitting around watching tv, or whatever.
You're progressing nicely. Keep up the good work.
Enjoy the weekend. Hope it's sunny one for you! :SUNsmile:

Great to hear all is well:egypdance:
Onward and upward!:yes:

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Stopping by to say Hi and see how you're doing.
Wondering if you're noticing improvement regarding swelling, fatigue and your painful knee...
Hopefully so. Please leave an update next time you drop by. We'd love to hear how it's going for you.
Hope to hear from you soon! :wave:
@itsahippy

Hi @Layla and all!

Been a while... sorry. Thought I’d post an update...

So TLHR Was done about 3.5 months ago now...

Was back to work at 10 weeks. Very tough first 3 days, I was a wreck but each week has got better on the whole

My pre op knee pain continued up until about a few weeks ago but is improving now i think

Walking is basically fine

O/s Issues:-

1. I have been having various aches & pains & muscle tightness on my operated leg; around my knee again, my operated hip & even the other hip, & the wound is a bit stingy & numb.

Feels like a bit of a step backwards tbh - hoping I’ve not done something to it! I did have a stumble the other day which can’t of helped

- still uncomfortable sitting & sleeping

- still tbc if related to the hip problem either pre or post op but shockingly painful shoulders & upper arms & stiff neck

I only discovered this when i first tried to return to sleeping on my side again after the initial back only phase. It hurts SO much to put my head on my arm & sleep on my side. Got Physio in 3 weeks but meanwhile..!?

So in summary - walking is generally good, very smooth - i think its ‘everything’ else trying to recover from the trauma of it all

Any idea how long typically it takes to he free of aches & pains post op if the op went well (which mine did) ?

Cheers

:wave:I was so grateful to walk hip pain free...and I went back to work early (probably too early) and had some unfortunate mishaps asking the way (a few stumbles which does aggravate...and let's not mention an unfortunate ATV incident):whistle:
There were quite a few aches and niggles well up to six months and I saw lots of improvement up to a year and actually since.
Not rightly sure about the shoulders and arms, but I do know I was still following the Rest, Ice and Elevate for hips regularly for six months.
Ice it up after a big day and hope all smooths out soon!:ice:

Thanks @Mojo333 :)

Sounds like you had a few issues too - eek

I guess the thing is how to know if it’s just a blip which will pass, or if you’ve done anything more serious

Tbh I have got out of the habit of icing now i’m back at work, though my ankles still swell very quickly. I try to ice when i get home tho

Despite the aches & pains i guess if i compare it to pre op pain there is a massive difference + no limping anymore so going in the right direction:)

Hi Again,

Stillllll getting shin, knee, groin and I think some hip area pain + the wound is a bit stingy...

Wonder how you are supposed to know if there is an issue or not? Surely the only guaranteed answer is x-ray/mri which i can’t imagine they’d do unless you were in agony....

I can put up with it if it just takes time but seems worse than a few weeks ago

Thoughts anyone?

Hi @itsahippy
Sorry you're dealing with increasing pain in multiple areas. I suggest you consider one of two things -

Call the office of your OS and speak to a member of his care team. They'll ask some questions and either offer you reassurance, or suggest you schedule an appointment.

Otherwise, we can tag, Josephine. Think about it and let us know. We're here for you and we care.
Wishing you comfort.

At 3 1/2 months out of surgery, if I was feeling increased pain, I'd probably check in with my surgeon. It's possible that your increased pain is from increased activity and nothing to worry about. But if it is worrying you, and you want to know for sure, you might want to contact your doctor. Hope you get some answers soon:)

Definitely ring for reassurance but it all sounds normal for recovery. Once back to normal work it is easy to overdo it!

I still take paracetamol on occasion and ice when I get home as the wound is still a bit “stingy” (that is a good description of yours! ) nine months out.

I did see a lot of improvement six months out and rarely get pain unless I overdo the swimming and exercise. . There is one particular muscle that has been playing up since day 1 and is easily aggravated. That said, hang on in there, it gets a lot better

Do you do any stretching exercises whilst at work? Just something has simple as stretching the calf muscles out alternatively whilst sitting and a few toe raises when standing? I did find this helped me with tight muscles that affected my knee. I still stretch out in bed and do the pressing knee down in bed before getting up as I find this really helps prior to driving. Hopefully your physio can give you some guidance on this.

Hopefully your OS should be able to reassure you in any case .

Last edited:
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Wondering how you're doing?
I hope the discomfort you were dealing with last time you posted is beginning to ease. Please leave an
update next time you stop by, we'd love to hear how you're progressing.
I hope you have a nice weekend!
@itsahippy

Thanks @SurreyGirl & @Layla :)

Well.... I guess things were going ok until last week...

I was sat on a bench seat and I turned left to talk to someone - but... instinctively I folded my left (operated leg) under my bum to sit on it

Doh!!! I did it in a second & it hurt like hell took a good 5 mins to recover - was worried i’d dislocated it. But pain aside Walking was fine.

Now a good few days later I have an achey pain best described as mainly coming from underneath my bum (op leg side) & general aches on that side

I did ring up the hospital & they said happy to check if i’m worrIed...

Hoping it’s a muscle issue that is what I think it is

As i can walk ok i doubt dislocation but i do worry a bit about a fracture of some sort

Thoughts? & Thanks

It's easy to stress something by a movement that is out of the norm after our surgery.
Most likely it's just strained muscles that are already still tight..
I can't imagine it fractured something.
Baby it and make sure you remember our old friend, Ice.:ice:
If it continues for much longer or gets worse you might want to have it checked..just for peace of mind if nothing else.
I do hope all eases soon!:ok:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks