THR 3days post op - Hats off to you guys

hippychic

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi.....back home this afternoon, sorry am feeling sorry for myself.......had rough time with pain med management and sickness, low blood pressure, feel was left too long in chair first day (8-4) with only toilet & short walk to break it up, but was feeling totally out of it on drugs and dozing.
Day 2 insisted on going back to bed after lunch had a better day but drugs still making feel out of it, sick and still in pain, persuaded them to change drugs format sickness eased but not sure if only had paracetamol in last 24hrs?
Today given oxcodine in capsule form so hopefully better than liquid and can get on right track in managing pain.
Am sure youve been thru this :scare:am ok when on feet but getting in and out bed tricky as worried about twisting body and sooo painful moving legs across.
Sorry to be so moany
X

Please don't feel like you are being "moany". It sounds like you are having a pretty rough start and your meds are not being well managed. If you can absorb the information, ask questions about your pain meds and schedule; also anti nauseants. If you're still foggy get a family member to help you. Under NO circumstances should you have been left sitting in a chair that long. I am full of tears for you!! That is just cruel. Try to be your own advocate and demand help getting back to bed even if you have to ring the call bell repeatedly. With that kind of "care", I hope you get home quickly but you really need those medications sorted out first. I will be thinking of you.:flwrysmile:

@hippychic
Moan away.
What you gave said sounds about spot on. Low blood pressure after the op is very common. I had it in 2 out of 3 of my ops. Many of the drugs make people feel nauseous too. Glad they changed your meds.
Trying to get in and out of bed is horrible. You are torn between wanting to go to the loo but not wanting to get up because of the pain. I promise you it does pass as you get more used to moving around.
Have you got something to take the weight of your leg when you get in and out if bed? A person to help is useful but you can also manage with something like a dressing gown cord lassoed around the leg.

Hi, Welcome to Recovery and congratulations on your new hip.
It's good to read you're at home. I'm sorry you had such a rough start. Please no worries about venting here, we understand your needs and concern.

Hopefully once you get your meds well managed and are able to rest comfortably now that you're home, things will begin looking up.

You can try a plastic bag (like a large trash bag) under your leg in bed to help move it with more ease. There is also an assistive device called a Leg Lifter that could help lift your leg, but a belt to a bathrobe or anything similar will also work.

Please read the Recovery Guidelines below. There is a lot of info you'll find useful as you begin your healing journey. Stop back often, we're here for you.
Wishing you comfort.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @hippychic

@hippychic, hope you are feeling better! A leg lifter is a great and inexpensive device. My PT gave me one, and then I ended up buying another to keep in the car. Hang in there and keep us posted on your recovery!

Moan all you need! Let it out! This community is here for you- been there, done that!

I needed a combo of a small step stool, a garbage bag, a leg lifted strap and a lot of curse words to get into bed for the first few days! Whatever it takes... remember it’s only temporary!

Wishing a comfy recovery

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Had my RTHR yesterday morning and just made it home this afternoon. Totally agree on moving leg sideways....very painful/most painful, but have managed through it...thus far. That leg has been out of commission for a year, so it’s going to take a while to build it back up. Hang in there!

Thanks for words of encouragement , feel abit more comfortable tonite being in control of own pain management (and not hallucinating)
Have iced and using silky pillow case with abit of assistance to get in and out of bed making it much easier
:sleep:
CPH can't believe you are out next day after surgery wow....
Sending good wishes to you all,x

Last edited:
Within a couple days you should be feeling much better.....those first few days are surreal, with the pain, pain meds, and your body and mind both reeling from the surgery.

I complained so much to the friend who I was staying with for the first few days----I was a mess. I kept saying if I'd known how awful it would be, I wouldn't have done it.

Obviously, I didn't know what I was talking about. Once I stopped the opioids, started tramadol and acetaminophen, and began icing longer amounts of time, my outlook changed quickly. For those of us who don't do well with stronger pain meds, it adds another layer of crazy to the initial recovery process.

It sounds like you are doing a bit better each day....hang in there. It will get better and you will be so happy you had the surgery.....but hard to be patient while in such pain. :flwrysmile:

Hi @hippychic :wave:
I know how jarring the first weeks can be so I hope this finds you feeling well and settling in to a recovery routine.
All temporary and the destination is worth the journey.
Hope today is a Good Day!:tada:

My first 3-4 days were horrible but got a lot better once the pain meds were sorted and I was out of hospital.. The pain moving across the bed and getting up the first few days is pretty bad - at least it was for me, and I too was left sitting in a chair for too long. I just tried standing up and clenching muscles and sitting down again and very small steps with the walker once I was able. Once on crutches things got better. Hang on in there! It has been a slow but great recovery for me and, like others here, I now wish I had got it sorted much sooner. Unfortuatantely the NHS had other ideas!

Hi all , hope this finds you well and having a positive day :flwrysmile:

Just a quick check in, am 8 days post op now and altho its been a tough few days, a big difference from my 1st post, have gone from what the hell i have i done, not really being with it to feeling more manageable.

Am able to get in and out of bed and to the loo un aided and spending some time in chair and have managed to get outside for a short walk on crutches it's still all quite exhausting and pain is up and down but definately feeling am healing:egypdance: and things getting easier, altho have only got a couple more oxycodone left, and feeling need a few more days, especially to sleep, is this usual to need a few more days stronger pain relief than 5 -7 days prescribed?

I know am still at start of my journey and a way to go but thanks for all helpful comments and words of support plus the useful and invaluable info on this site as think would be trying too much too soon following PT advice and worrying.
:friends:

Hi @hippychic Glad to hear that things are starting to feel a little better. It's a long slow slog but with a bit of luck you will feel better with each day that passes. x

I agree with Jaycey. I wish I had asked for more during my first couple of weeks at least. Then you will take them regularly and be more comfortable than planning on how to conserve them and possibly delay your recovery. Wishing you continued success. Be patient with and kind to yourself. You deserve it. ❤️

Definitely ask for a refill. I did because as they dwindled down, I found myself trying to plan how to make them last! As it turned out, I didn't need all of them. But if I had, they were there. And that isn't knowable in advance. Best wishes for a great recovery
:friends:

:wave:All temporary and those rough first weeks will eventually just become a faint memory.:yes:
The payoff will be well worth it!:happydance:
Hope today is a Good Day:SUNsmile:

Hi fellow hippies,

Firstly am gonna apologise for all the emojis think i may have gone over the top....but i luv them......:loll:

Just a little update from me as am now 20 days post op, after a wobbly start and lots of ups and downs, getting a refill on pain meds and getting pain under control things improved around day 12 and felt like had turned a corner……(as I really was wondering uptil then what the hell I had done to myself):bolt:

Am able to sleep for around 3-4 hour stints throughout the night, stand (with crutches in shower), getting in and out of bed became less of a challenge…..which has become much easier over last week, have ventured outside and built up little walks 5, 10 and now around 15 minutes, walk twice daily before hip starts to let me know.(unfortunately raining heavily today so it’s a trot around the bedroom and bathroom):tiredwheel:
Have followed BS advice and taken it easy on the PT home exercises and only done as much of the simple exercises as i have felt able, although have received an appointment for official PT classes....

I’m still on 2 crutches most of the time as the hip lets me know doesn’t like full weight with 1 yet so building it up a little around the house.

Have only had one very short trip out in the car(as passenger) to the dr's to get dressing redone on day 14, which was challenging, work are pushing for a face to face meeting (they want to come to my home) but i am not in agreement with that so need to take another journey shortly.:hairpulling:

Thanks for checking in on me @Mojo333 it is much appreciated.........:flwrysmile:

Have been quite emotional and tearful , and still a little up and down, have looked in on the forum regularly but didn’t feel upto, to making much in the way of interacting, however have found your updates interesting and amusing @Mayhip8 , @ChrissyW , @ahipgma so just wanted to say thank you for sharing your stories as they have made me smile and also reassured the gripes and aches and pains and worries are all par for the course and normal.:egypdance:

Of course this forum is a life saver when you’re housebound as well as catching up on fellow hippies journeys and following the advice from the forum advisers :thankyou:has helped keep me from panicking and keep thinking there is light at the end of tunnel and how lucky I am to be able to go through this process and hopefully a new improved me……:surfer:

Onwards and upwards and sending healing thoughts to you at whichever stage of recovery you are at.....:happyfeet:

:console2:I'm sorry you've been a bit bummed out but it does come with the territory.
Such an emotional journey...along with the physical one... to get back to healthy.
You will get there so try to be kind to yourself...hopefully you can get out more as you get stronger to stave off cabin fever.
Wishing you a restful happy week.
Do join in on the conversations, as your experience can help others also!
We are all rooting for you!:friends:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Celle
    MODERATOR EMERITIUS
  • Pumpkin