TKR Fractured patella/quad repair 3 years post TKR

Ouch. I only had cracked patellas (yes, I've managed to crack them both). Thankfully, an imobilizer brace was all I needed, and they have both healed. The left was the more recent one, and I'm coming up on the tail end of my "no squats" instruction from my surgeon.

I'm sure the cast is most uncomfortable and inconvenient. Definitely take it easy for a few months and allow it to heal well. Your surgeon will guide you through the reactivation process with a reasonable amount of caution.

Hurting. I am fully casted, from my tush to my toes, and the cast is heavy. It bothers me that I can't observe my incision, and the incision hurts. I can tell it is larger than my knee replacement incision.

Also bored, but I'll deal with it.

I need someone else to lift the leg, and help position me every time I move. Give me a sense of helplessness. Tomorrow, I will plan some activity for my days.
Thanks for asking!
Kim

Last edited:
But I do have my dog, Libby, who is watching out for me!

Attachments

• received_2234838916734081.jpeg
    received_2234838916734081.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 141
I’m sure that cast and its weight feels awful. :console2:

Libby is a sweetheart. :roseshwr: So nice to have a buddy.

Hurting. I am fully casted, from my tush to my toes, and the cast is heavy.
When I broke my same foot and ankle shortly before I was a year out, my new knee hated the weight of the cast, and my cast was only knee high. I can't imagine how much yours weighs. As far as itching, I found a ruler that I could stick down the cast to scratch with. It wasn't great, but helped. Also, I bet your incision hurts because you are swollen and it's pushing against the cast.

But I do have my dog, Libby, who is watching out for me!
He is precious. How comforting our furry friends are at a time like this. My kitties were very attentive!

@Poohstew : Oh how I empathize with you. My patella broke into several pieces during a taxing physical therapy exercise; my patellar tendon ruptured; and the internal incision leading to the joint replacement ruptured.

The surgeon was not able to fully approximate all of the pieces and was frank with me that scar tissue would be an inevitable but necessary part of the healing process and I probably would not have more than 90 degrees flexion restored.

I was given the choice of an immobilizing brace or a cast and I chose the brace. I was immobilized with my leg straight out for 8 weeks. I became very creative with ways to shower and get around. Check out my recovery thread for blow by blow action!

I agree about the pain, I didn't know if I was going to pass out or throw up and right afterwards my leg just flapped in the wind, no control over the joint at all.

I was on Tramadol for about 6 weeks, gradually reducing the dose, and now I just take Tylenol and sometimes Aleve. I also recognize your difficulties lifting the leg from the hip. I found an implement on Amazon called a leg lifter, which is basically just a stiff wire with a loop on the end that your foot goes into; you can then lift your leg yourself. It was a godsend for me.

I'm now 7 months out, finishing up more gentle PT, have 90 degrees flexion and am walking with a cane, still sometimes using a brace for extra stability, and using a scooter when I shop. I am driving again and have recovered enough to be struggling with boredom and a sense of "What do I do next?" because I ended up being nudged out of my job before I was really ready to retire. Hopefully I can find something to challenge me because my mind is still pretty sharp even if my knees aren't!! Feel free to ask any questions about how I managed and take care of yourself.

My patella broke into several pieces during a taxing physical therapy exercise; my patellar tendon ruptured; and the internal incision leading to the joint replacement ruptured.
That's disgraceful! I do hope you sued or at the very least made an official complaint.

I found an implement on Amazon called a leg lifter
We've had that device on our article Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home, literally for years! I wouldn't have been without them for both knees. Sadly I gave them away and am now looking for one for my future revision!

BTW, if you order it via that article, you will make a small donation to BoneSmart!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back