THR Moving into calmer waters'

I'm so sorry that you are struggling.
I have always been hyperactively active, and I will try to see if there is anything that we have...or anyone else might contribute to help with the whys:sigh:
I was a cheerleader, I ran track in high school, I have lifted as much as most grown men all my life!
Nothing I couldn't do...I felt.
My lower back got increasingly sore and I got sciatica and was without health insurance for several years.
I finally checked on what I assumed was going to be a diagnosis of Slipped/herniated discs...but was told..nope, all good.
When I got my diagnosis of endstage OA in BOTH hips, I was confused and devastated.
OS , when asked, stated most likely genetics but I didn't see any of this in family history.
His other answer, bad luck.
I do know that sometimes trying to answer the whys honestly just made me crazy and did not really matter any way.
It was what it was and it wasn't my fault.
Try to leave your emotional energy free for temporary recovery struggles...
I don't know the future...is my neck next? My knees or shoulders?
Don't know but I'm pretty sure we haven't advanced medically to stop it.
I DO know, at almost two years or with titanium hips...I'm GOOD!
Try to keep the faith, my friend.:friends:

OS , when asked, stated most likely genetics but I didn't see any of this in family history.
His other answer, bad luck.
Thanks for the encouragement..yeah I know I need to come to terms with my condition and part of me hasn't. Thanks for the story too.. I used to be so athletic, a bicycler and runner..also scuba and swimming. The OS told me the same. I had seen several doctors and asked all of them and they told me genetics.. but also I was told that diet, and events such as an injury can trigger it as well. I also read somewhere else online that sugar is a contributor as well as obesity.

It is depressing for me.. I have been very slow to accept what has happened.. I am 55 and ever since I turned 50 it has been one joint after the other.. now the neck.. well, as you said, I am at least not in nearly the pain I was this time last year and I have MUCH gratitude for that!!

I am working with a non-profit employment staffing company that assists people with chronic conditions and hopefully will be employed again soon.. off to a new adventure!!

I also work for a non-profit, and am inspired by all that help their fellow humans.
Try to be positive. Hopefully it's not anything that will keep you from being happy and healthy!
Some things we just can't control.
You're positive spirit will serve you well.
Stress is killer on our immune systems!
Hope your weekend is sweet...lots of good things to come!

@Trailgirl you sound so much better since you quit your job. It's a shame you were forced to do that, but no job is worth your health. At least the job market is good now. You are talking about your hip and healing (and being impatient and frustrated :dubious:) now instead of how you are sick from stress. Working for a non-profit and helping people would be rewarding. :console2:

I asked my OS if mine could be wear and tear from walking on hard factory floors my whole career, and he said no, it's genes. But, my family doesn't seem to have hip problems so I'm still thinking it's at least partly from walking on hard floors. I used to be pretty athletic too but have gotten lazy in my old age, lol. The last couple of years I've had some physical problems that slowed me down, besides the hips, a shoulder repair and a bad left knee. Having a new hip will help, but my left knee is shot too so I'm afraid that is in my future, along with my left hip. Oh well, at least we have the technology to fix that stuff now, thank goodness. I wish stem cell therapy was further along and more established, I'd like to try that but not sure where to start. :scratch:

You are still pretty early in your healing. You will keep getting stronger and improving rapidly in the next couple of months. I'm getting more confident in my new hip and it feels pretty stable now, but will still get better for up to a year or more. Hang in there.:dancy::upright::hiking:

Hey @desertrat yeah.. its been a few weeks since I've been on here.. been looking for a new job.. but focusing on more like a contract type job.. and found a staffing organization that works with folks with chronic medical conditions . woohoo!! :happydance:so yes..(so hopefully I will be under that umbrella when I do get some work) best thing I ever did was walk out....PS.. I heard through the grapevine of friendly folks I still talk to from there that my old boss got written up..not for sure as it is a grapevine....though ....as for me it's all good :flwrysmile:.:bath:...I am no longer losing any sleep :sleep:at night :cheers::martini:

I have 3 disks in my neck doc said they were degenerating (didn't like that news ..mentioned earlier).. so I get some pain from that + cannot feel in my left hand.. and I too have gotten lazy. It has been raining here a lot lately, but I still do those the same exercises the home PTs showed me.

I am with you on being thankful for the technology!.. At first I was really weird-ed out by the "idea" of an implant in me that large.. but soooo thankful I did this for myself.. A lot of my "numbness" I spoke of earlier is disappearing (guess I was worrying for nothing.. but it was just weird).. so yes...I guess it just takes time. I am able to move around in the bed without being so cautious. I still cant completely fold my leg up.. but.. I can stretch and bend and get my socks on both feet now and can even put lotion all up and down my leg and onto my feet too. I did twist or did something one day earlier this week when I was getting out of the bath and I could really "feel" "it"..in my bone.. and had to use ice that night.. but was ok the next day. All in all things are going good but like some of y'all have been saying.. it really does take what it takes. I can walk around the store longer.

Really? I think getting the stress off me was the ticket.. my healing has really accelerated in the last 3 weeks!! I even dared to write myself a permission slip to play a video game :happyfeet:I also wrote several others.. where I allowed myself to stay the ENTIRE day in bed and watch flix with my focus on laughter and entertainment.. something i wasn't even doing fresh out of surgery.:bath:

Sounds like you're in a better place emotionally since walking away from your job. @Trailgirl
It was nice to read your update. Your recovery seems to be going well also.
Wishing you only the best moving forward.
Enjoy the rest of the week!

Great update!:happydance:
Hope all keep getting better and better @Trailgirl

Hew! This is so good to read and glad that your toxic job has gone and you can concentrate on your recovery and getting your life back. I hope the organisation finds something ideal for you and that you will be in a much better place shortly. Well done about putting the socks on.i certainly could not do that in the timeframe you have managed :)

I hope the organisation finds something ideal for you and that you will be in a much better place shortly
Well thanks @SurreyGirl ..

..well folks just wanted to say I start a new contract job tomorrow with the organization that works with people that have medical conditions. I guess in the end I did myself a favor!! woohoo!!

Now if I could just get some weight off of me it would be great.

Great news! Good for you! Hopefully in losing the stress with your old job and finding a new position to engage in you'll be free to work on your weight loss goals. I wish you all the best. Thanks for updating...stay in touch and have a great week! Things are looking up @Trailgirl :happydance:

:goodpost: glad to see things are continuing to get better and better!
Hope this new beginning brings you happiness and good health.
With these new hips, you will be able to get increasingly more active and hopefully get to a weight you are comfortable with.
:ok:

Hey Trailgirl,
Wondering how the new job is going for you and how your new hip is holding out at almost four months post op now? With any luck your recovery is still going well. Leave us an update when you have time. Would love to hear how you're progressing. Happy Friday...I hope you have a lovely weekend!
@Trailgirl

Hi folks been really busy with new job .. I like it that it’s contract work but insurance is costing me.

So as of last week I’m five months in.. And..
I started having deep hip pain. I have a sit down job and trying to remember to get up and stretch and walk but this started recently within. The last few days .. I have not been pushing myself at gyms and such.. I thought maybe I have a bad chair but I’m feeling it at work too and finding I have to get up..

I did see a new PC doctor and noticed my reflexes are not as keen in the operative hip but they were still there

I’m just wondering what is causing this burning pain.. and when I walk at times it’s as if I can feel the implant against the bone feeling for a second or two

Hi @Trailgirl
It's nice to hear from you again. I'm sorry you're struggling. Since you mentioned that the last few days you have not been pushing yourself at gyms and such, I'm wondering if you had been...up until 5 days ago? Let's have @Josephine look over the info you've provided and decide whether she needs to dig deeper. I've tagged her for you, so please check back periodically. I hope you find relief soon.

Ok.. well I have walked around a lot doing housework etc . Noticing this burning sensation the most and have to stand or lie down to alleviate it ...maybe it’s the implant rubbing on the bone? Or maybe I’m just not used to it ? :scratch:

Edit... I’ve been trying to think of a way to describe this...it kind of feels in away like it did before I had the surgery.. of course not nearly as intense as what that pain was when I walk.. but it happens when I walk.. kind of a slight slipping sensation...could it be it hasn’t completely fused to the bone ? And sitting for long periods I guess aggravates it

Last edited:
Hi @Trailgirl
Wondering how you're doing? Is the burning sensation or pain any better?
If not, wondering if you've talked to you surgeon? We can involve, Josephine, if you're interested.
Please update us when you have time. We're here for you...
Hope you have a nice week!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks