THR 9 months post-hip recovery!!!

@Trudijane - What date did you have your hip replacement? We've asked you for this date several times now and we do need to know it, so we can advise you appropriately.

A question about icing. I was icing the entire area for about the first month of my recovery. At 6 weeks, I haven't for awhile. Should I still be considering icing after 6 weeks? Is there any kind of ice treatment that spans a larger area than a few smaller ones here & there. Sometimes, the aching occurs on different areas of my right leg.

My surgery date was 4/3. My right hip was replaced (posteriorly) after 3-4 month of excruciating pain and after physical therapy which obviously didn't work. It got to the point where I could not walk at all, and I wish I knew all of my options at the very beginning instead of trying other options. It feels like forever that I've been in pain - or now just discomfort (or weakness?) in my right leg muscles. It's the best way I can describe it - but I'm concerned that it will never improve!

Thank you for all the useful information you sent me to read!!!
Trudijane

Have a great weekend!

A question about icing. I was icing the entire area for about the first month of my recovery. At 6 weeks, I haven't for awhile. Should I still be considering icing after 6 weeks? Is there any kind of ice treatment that spans a larger area than a few smaller ones here & there. Sometimes, the aching occurs on different areas of my right leg.
Did you read the article about icing that Layla left for you?
Yes, you still need to ice your hip for several more weeks, maybe even months.

However, if you want advice from BoneSmart, you have to play ball with us and tell us when you had your hip replaced. Telling us now that it was "6 weeks ago" simply won't work in a few months' time. We need to know the actual date.
All you need to do is put the date in the next post you make to anyone. We will see it and put it in your signature, so we can see it at the bottom of every post you make.

I want to thank you for your advice and try to answer:
Just go down to the bottom of the page and start typing in the box where it says "Write your reply".
We will see your response.

If you want to talk to a specific person, you can tag them, by putting the @sign before their user name, as I have tagged you here - @Trudijane . No space between the @ sign and the name, but make sure you leave a space after the name.
This article may help, too:
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

That article is in this section, which also has lots of other articles about how to do things on BoneSmart:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/view/how-to-use-this-forum.74/

I have a few comments on the information you sent me.

1) Chairs: Even though the info on recliners is very useful, it's also confusing as what might be comfortable or not. For me (not right now), I think that best thing is to look around and try out various chairs to see what the comfort level is. I just recently learned that the recliner (Copenhagen) that I have now, is stylish with a separate ottoman, however, the seat is way too low so I put a nice pillow to sit on to make it higher; I also don't like the fact that the ottoman is separate, so if I put my feet up or want to bend my knees a little, it tends to slide around so I'd prefer a build-in ottoman (I think).

2) Physical Therapy
Even thought the order is placed for more formal P/T (supposedly to strengthen the muscles around the operated area) I feel as a lot of you do ... if it hurts, I'm not going to do it, including tests of mobility; there is no way I want to exasperate the problems I already have. I'm still not sure what the problem is now ... I can walk a little without the cane (at home) but I feel better walking with a cane when I am outside - mainly for mobility/some soreness. I plan to tell the P/T what I just mentioned here.

3) A BIG problem. I live alone and I have a cat that needs to be treated every now & then. That means, I have to get him up on a countertop (usually the bathroom) and do what needs to be done. He is skiddish and he has not allowed me to trap him in the bathroom - and even if he did, I don't know how to get him from the ground to the counter (he also won't let anybody else near him). Nobody evern mentioned 'lifting' but I'm sure it's a no-no. I could get him by the scruff on his neck for a moment, but it's very difficult. I don't want my cat to get sicker so it's problem I haven't found a solution to.

Thanks for providing your surgery date. It will make it much easier for those visiting your thread to readily see how far along you are. Thank you for understanding.

Think about it this way...I'm sure you hope to have that prosthetic in place for the remainder of your life. If so, six weeks into recovery is not only early weeks, but early days in the whole scheme of things, right?

Next, while it's understandably difficult, please do not compare your recovery to that of others. Each one of us comes to the party in different shape. Some limping, others not. Many taking OTC meds with regularity, while others don't feel the need. Some come with pre-existing health conditions, while others are in great health. Some are using assistive devices daily, others aren't. We all have different pain thresholds also.
You mentioned others you talked to had a much shorter recovery time. Unless you've personally witnessed these people's speedy recoveries, please take their commentary with a grain of salt. Some have selective memory and some have bad memories.

Try checking out Amazon for a larger ice pack. If storage is an issue, what about using a cooler to store extra ice packs? If you have an icemaker, or can make ice, you could store extras in a cooler. You can ICE for months to come, so please don't put a time limit on it. It's great for pain and swelling and you can have swelling for months, even up to a year post op. When icing, make sure you do it for 40-60 mins, no less as recommended by the forum Nurse.

I'm sorry for your pain and weakness. It seems you were one of the ones I described above as being in "worse shape" pre-op. Given that, it may take you longer which will require a measure of patience. But with perseverance I believe you'll get there. We'll be here to offer support and encouragement whenever you need it, so stop by often.

Wishing you comfort and a peaceful week.
@Trudijane

Last edited:
Our posts crossed -
Chairs: You need to get what's comfortable for you.

PT: Please STOP immediately if anything hurts and don't let them talk you into pushing through pain.

Cat: I don't know how to advise, never been a cat owner.
I hope some others who have cats, specifically skittish cats stop by with advice.
@Trudijane

Last edited:
Thank you for your surgery date. I've added it to your signature now.
We didn't see it because it was buried in the posts from Layla that you quoted.

Here's an article about how to quote correctly:
How to use the quote feature

@Trudijane will your cat eat treats or soft food? Have found bribery to be a good way to get the fur babies to do what you want. Worth a shot, unless you have one like my older guy who won't eat either! :kittymilk:

I have had cats all my life, and had to support them with multiple treatments and procedures. Many cats are skittish by nature:) The one thing that always worked for every cat I've ever had is canned tuna fish. (I buy the kind packed in water.) I know it's not super healthy for cats due to the salt, but a teaspoon always does the trick. The smell is strong enough to attract them and if you put it where you can reach the cat, you should be able to catch it more easily. My vet felt fine with this being used as a bribe:)

6 weeks it's still early, keep icing. I had an icing machine with a large pad, it made it very simple and long lasting. For a chair I used a recliner, had a full manual and it wasn't comfortable so I went chair shopping and found an inexpensive electric.
For the cat deal you can possibly do the golfer's bend to reach the cat. Lifting and or carrying should be OK just put the weight on your non op leg. Pets can cause problems if they can get under your feet or cause yyou to lose balance, just don't fall.

Long time cat owner here. Do you have to pill the cat? Apply flea treatment? Clip it’s claws? You might want to think about using a product like Feliway spray in combination with the food treat. My vet sprays a towel with Feliway, and uses that to wrap my cat up like a burrito, once the cat is up on the counter. I think that might be a safer way for you to manage.

I have a very quirky cat with IBD that comes & goes. In fact, he only eats treats and nothing else; my vet said that it's better than nothing and does have some nutritional value so it wasn't too bad. Bribery doesn't work on my kitty and he seems to have this insight that let's him know when I'm getting a glove ready, or a pill ready when he's far away; then I hear him run away and down the steps. It's pretty impossible to corner him or bribe him and even if I did, wouldn't I hurt myself if I picked him up from the floor? I have to be concerned about that as well.

Yes, with Cerenia, an anti-nausea pill (he has been throwing up again).

I tried Felliway, and it does not seem to have any effect on him; and 'treats' is all my cat eats (I know..weird). The main thing is getting him off the floor and onto the counter on a big towel. I have to pill him, and then rub topical prednisone in his ears. I managed to do that on one ear when he was sleeping, but before I could get to the other ear, he was gone and I'm in no condition to go running after him!

I would have a vet come over to the house; but even then he'd find a good hiding space; and they are very very expensive.

The other thing to try then is catnip, I suppose. A small sprinkle on the towel can bring a cat running.

Hi, hip buddy, I'm still experiencing some thigh, groin and back discomfort at 6+weeks, and still using a cane, although I can walk around the house as long as I concentrate :tada: on my gait! (otherwise, I limp!)
At my 6 week appointment, I re-met my hip buddy who had her surgery on the same day as me, and she had been walking without her stick since week 4 :sad:, she is also 8 years older than me! As my OS said, it just shows how different (not better or worse) recovery is, as we had had the same procedures on the same day!
He also said he expected this discomfort to reduce over the next 6 weeks, and I think that reassurance (and all the great support from other bonesmarties) has helped me to stop worrying..... we are both in this for the long term after all. :yes!:

After I went to my post-op visit (6 weeks later) I asked about driving and they said to me you can take small trips when you feel confident enough to do so. I thought about it and I did feel confident but I’m still not sure if I’m getting in & out of the car as I’m supposed to. The hardest part is moving the seat back & forth so that I can easily slide in & out of the seat. I hold onto something above me to lift myself a bit, then swivel (with both legs together) onto the seat. I have an automatic so I don’t know what different it would make with a standard. Once I’m in the car, I have no problem moving my right foot from gas to brake. It just seems that getting in and out is the tricky part (for me). It IS easier as a passenger though.

I have a question about 'how' the best way to sit (along with a photo of my recliner that I've had for a long time). I've gotten lazy by staying in bed (and watching movies) and I know I have to not be afraid of sitting even though it's not the most comfortable way to relax! Can I write a new post about this?

I just tried out my recliner that I have had for years (trying to get out of the habit of lying in bed and watching movies). I bought it from Copenhagen years ago! It's a recliner and the first thing I noticed is that the seat was way too low...putting one of my pillows on top of the seat helps enormously!

The question that I mainly have is where do I place my legs on the ottoman...straight out? bent at the knees? I can't seem to figure out what is most comfortable and best for the muscles in my hip! Now that it is high enough and I can get up by holding the arms of the chair; what is best for the muscles of my leg?

Attached is a photo of the chair and next time I get a recliner, I'd prefer the ottoman to be built in so that it doesn't slide with every move I make. Anybody have any feedback on this? I keep on moving around.

Attachments

• BurgundyRecliner.JPG
    BurgundyRecliner.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 138

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017