Standard Shoulder Replacement PJK65 in Recovery

If things are not better tomorrow, you need to contact your surgeon's office and let them know what you did.

Yes, you should have followed your doctor's instructions, especially about the weight lifting restriction. Shoveling mulch for two hours is a significant bit of overdoing it and you want to be sure you didn't do any damage to those tender tissues that are still healing. In the meantime, rest and ice as much as possible. Go back to doing just your passive exercises for at least a few days to keep the shoulder moving and don't do anything that requires you to work the muscles. Things need to settle.

More than likely you've just angered things a lot, but you need to be sure that's the case.

Next time you're tempted like this, tell your friends to duct tape you to a chair until the feeling passes...:rotfl:. I'm proud of you for admitting your error, though. Others will learn from your experience. Thanks for the honesty.

Thanks for the feedback Jamie, it did calm down and I was able to resume exercises without pain, just some discomfort, particularly at the top of the bicep. Ice really seems to help so I've been doing that regularly. I had PT today and my ROM remains good and I was able to complete all of her exercises well, she feels I just "angered" everything by my impulsive action. Lesson learned, though I have to say this patience thing is pretty hard.

I have to say this patience thing is pretty hard.
It’s like this with a knee replacement, too.

I’m glad you only upset your shoulder and didn’t do any real damage. When I read you shoveled for 2 hours I thought :yikes: !!

I just had to post and say that things are going extremely well, my range of motion keeps improving, my pain is almost non existent at this point, and I feel like my shoulder is getting stronger. This surgery may have been the smartest thing I've ever chosen to do! Anyone out there considering this surgery, and I know everyone's circumstances are different, I strongly encourage you to consider having it done. The pain relief is remarkable if you suffer from arthritis in the shoulder joint, at least that's been the case for me. Of course, finding a good surgeon is paramount, and following the recovery protocol is imperative, as I have learned (the hard way).

@PJK65 Joint replacement surgery is a definite life changer especially if you've had long term problems with chronic pain!! Sounds like you are doing very well :cheers: And the ROM and strength do keep getting better and better :yes!: as I can attest to having had both shoulders and both hips replaced because of arthritis pain.

Such a great report. I agree with you that shoulder surgery seems to be a little easier than a knee and maybe on par with a hip. The lack of pain has been amazing.

PT continues to go very well, I'm at my maximum in terms of range of motion based on the parameters the surgeon placed on the physical therapy, the strengthening is ready to advance, but I have to wait until I see my surgeon on the 28th to get clearance to do so. So, for now it's just alot of repetition. My therapist agree's that I'm ready to do much more in terms of both strengthening and range of motion, but without the surgeons authorization we are in a holding pattern. I'm anxious to move forward and really feel ready to do so much more.

Great news! Too bad you have to wait when you're ready to move on. Hang in there.

Well, I saw my surgeon yesterday for an 11 week follow up, xrays looked good and the exam was great, he's very pleased with my movement. I'm at 150 degree's assisted front flexion and 45 degree's side flexion assisted, I can only lift my arm to a little above my shoulder height, but that is improving, he said that will improve with time and effort. He released me from restrictions and said I could resume using my arm for regular activities, just being careful with how much weight I bear. He ordered 6 more weeks of physical therapy which I'm grateful for as now they can begin to be more aggressive with the exercises and the stretching. I follow up with him in three months. I saw PT today and she (Leslie, who is awesome!), added some additional strengthening exercises that included weights. Still can't say it enough how grateful I am that I had this surgery done, relatively pain free now with some periods of "soreness" when I over use my arm, but ice usually quickly takes care of that.

This is really great news. It does sound like you're going to get a great range of motion back. Like you, I'm just beginning some resistance strength training. It's amazing how wonderful it feels to be able to do those exercises. Slow and steady. We're gonna make it!

I haven't posted in a while, but progress continues. Still going to therapy three times per week, though range of motion isn't improving at to great of a pace, which is a little frustrating, but as I've learned for myself and from others on this forum, this is a lengthy process. My therapist did provide me with a pulley to start using at home (not sure why I didn't just get one on Amazon sooner!), so I'm hoping that helps with range of motion. Strength is definitely improving, which is encouraging. Best wishes to all out there.

Hi all, it's been a while since I posted anything. I'm still doing well, pain free. Motion and strength are improving, particularly after I got assigned to a new physical therapist. She uses free weights to both help with strengthening as well as to help with movement. She is also doing alot of stretching. I'm pleased with the result and have noticed improvement since starting to work with her. I hope all are well.

Great to hear things are going well for you. My therapist used free weights too and that's what I use here at home. I can see it's going to be a long trek to get strength back, though. Like you, I have steady improvements but it's slow. Nothing for us to do but hang in there and keep working at it.

Well, so far the recovery has gone well, and then Saturday night happened. Fell down the stairs (about 10), xrays and CT scan didn't reveal any breaks at the ER though did end up with staples in my head, but following up with doctor today, see surgeon on the 28th. Have soreness in the shoulder that was repaired, but the other shoulder is now killing me, can't even lift my arm. Needless to say, PT is on hold for a bit. Still trying to stretch. I guess falls happen. Be careful everyone

@PJK65 Noooooooo! So sorry to read that you fell. Horrid! Please take it very easy. Hopefully that other shoulder is just bruised.

Please update when you can.

Oh good grief! This is awful and I'm so sorry for your accident. I hope you just have soft tissue injuries to your shoulders and that things get better soon. I guess I don't need to tell you to be careful, huh.

Well, the doc diagnosed a concussion. He's not sure about right shoulder, but based on exam said it seems the rotator cuff is affected. He ordered PT. My question, is it advisable to start PT on the right shoulder immediately while it is still sore and difficult to move or better to wait a bit and let it calm down? I've had alot of shoulder issues, but never anything with the rotator cuff. Any input would be helpful. The doctor also mentioned that an MRI would be best, but that we "have to start" with pt.

It depends on what the doctor is expecting your therapist to do. If it's just some soft tissue massage, I suppose that could be all right. But if you have a tear in your rotator cuff, I wouldn't think exercises would be advisable for fear of more damage. I would want to have a firm diagnosis on my shoulder before seeing a therapist. It would seem to me the MRI should come first and then the therapy.

Was this your GP you saw today?

Well, haven't been on here for a while. So, a little update. Saw surgeon this past Wednesday for 6 month checkup, the replacement, left shoulder, is doing great, he is pleased with progress I am making and I don't need to see him for another six months, he is happy with range of motion and strength, as am I. While I've continued PT for the left shoulder I did discontinue for the right shoulder, save for some prom to prevent frozen shoulder. As for the right shoulder, which I injured in my fall four weeks ago, things appear a bit less optimistic. I still have alot of pain with movement when I try to engage the shoulder and limited range of motion. He is concerned about a tear at the top of the rotator cuff and wants an MRI which I have on the 6th, and then I will follow up with him. I"m praying that it's not torn, I really don't want to deal with this any longer, it's getting frustrating and disheartening

Definitely good news about your left shoulder. Well done! But that pesky right one.....I hope it gets better. I'm sure you'd much rather be out of the shoulder rehab business for a while. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but the pain you describe when trying to engage it would be a concern. Treat it gently and maybe that will improve.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back