Pre op nerves

chrisl

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
just under two weeks to go. Can’t wait but so nervous! Looking forward to having others to share the journey with.

Hi @chrisl and :welome:to Bonesmart!
This forum was a reassurance to me as I waited for surgery, and a great source of information for recovery.
Shared experiences are a great resource for getting the scoop from "those who know"
Would you please leave your surgical date and which hip is being replaced so we can add it to your signature?

Hi @chrisl
Being nervous before your op is perfectly normal, but once the initial trauma is over I am sure you will think having this surgery has been one of the best decisions of your life.
I certainly know it has been for me.
Wishing you all the best.

Thank you for your reassurances. I am having full replacement surgery on my right hip on the 31st May. Was totally in shock when found out in January as last year was playing some of best tennis in my life. Have tried to stay cheerful during wait period but now ready to get on with it. I’m wondering if there’s anyone else in the Marlow area. I’d really like to meet others as am single and been feeling a bit isolated. Not feeling sorry for myself just interested in finding best way forward.Thanks. Chris

Morning @chrisl. You can see the finish line now, how exciting! No more grinding pain, you're going to be so amazed. I had a smile that had no end after my right got replaced!:roseshwr: I will assume you've checked out all the preop topics in the library. You have family or friends to help when you get home? My sister-in-law is a block away. She's going to hang out with me for a few days. This is the best place to be, with others that know what's happening physically, mentally and emotionally. We are pulling for you, we're all in this together. :friends:

I’m a week ahead of you on the RTHR. Once the initial shock for needing to have my hip replaced wore off (I’m bone on bone) the increasing pain/discomfort kicked in, causing my activity level to be reduced to a level that is almost depressing. The surgery, as rough as it initially seemed ( I’ve watched it countless times), is getting far less scary and more something I am looking forward to from a “get my life back in track” standpoint. Best Wishes I’ll be posting in the recovery section after my surgery on Thursday, so you can follow along

Hi @chrisl and @CPH. Yes, of course, to be nervous is perfectly normal and human. It is a major surgery no matter what some well meaning, uninformed people might say. I distinctly remember telling my OS that I was more afraid of what I was not being able to do than I was of the surgery. My physically active world had also become very small and bone on bone painful. I was still nervous. I'm headed back to work on May 28 after a "slower" recovery (you'll soon learn here that your recovery is uniquely yours and not to compare.) I would do the surgery again in a heartbeat! It has gotten me back to my life and hopeful again. So, hang in there and keep asking those questions. I'll be following you and looking forward to seeing you on the healing side.:loveshwr::wave:

@chrisl and @CPH - hope all goes smoothly! I am having surgery on Monday (in two days - yikes!!). Spending the weekend relaxing and trying not to think too much about it.

Thank you for all your replies. All I am focusing on is the thought that after the op I will start getting better! Hopefully the pain of the last year that just seems to get worse and more debilitating will go away. I look forward to hearing how your surgeries go and sharing stories the other side. Thanks for reminding me not to compare. Like in most things in life it’s not always good but keep the positivity flowing. I definitely need to get my life back! Have a good Sunday

Hi @chrisl - I assume you are in Marlow, Bucks. I had my THR just over 6 months ago at Spire Harpenden in neighbouring Herts. It was my first operation and I did not know what to expect but it went remarkably smoothly. I had spinal with heavy sedation so was totally unaware of the operation. The staff at the hospital were brilliant at looking after me and providing reassurance and they and ensured pain was kept well under control. In the UK we seem stay in hospital for longer than the US (I was booked for 4 nights but was released 3). The longer stay meant that when I left the medication was totally under control and I was pretty mobile so could get around the house and up the stairs.

Post-op physio seemed to be very different from the stories you here on the forum from those in the US. It consisted of several sessions where the physio checked progress and each time suggested a couple of simple exercises suitable to do at home.

Two of the biggest issues for me after the op were the wretched TED stockings which I had to wear for 6 weeks - I could not put them on or take them off myself - and the blood thinning injections for 3 weeks.

Pre-op I bought slip on shoes (Skechers) as I could not tie laces for about 6 weeks and an upright chair with arms from a charity shop which I returned after 6 weeks.

The operation really has been transformational - the only regret I, in common with many others, have is that I didn't have it sooner.

Good luck and if you have any questions let me know.

That’s brilliant and so informative! I have been worrying about hearing or knowing anything during the op as I don’t think I could bear that! Funnily enough just bought some Skechers slip ons! How soon could you go out in the car comfortably as a passenger for a fairly long journey? Thanks Chris

@chrisl - I didn't go on any long car journeys early on - I didn't need or want to go far. I would have thought how early you can comfortably travel as a passenger will depend on how your recovery is going but also the type of car. I found our sitting in our larger car very comfortable from the start - easy to get into, high seat and lots of leg room. But not so comfortable in our VW Polo - much harder to get into and too low for a recent THR. When I was discharged at week 6 and allowed to drive I was fine driving the smaller car for long distances. And for longer trips you might well want to have stops to stretch.

Others may have views.

As for car rides -- ditto in that it REALLY depends on the car model (particularly height of seat). I could not climb up into my mom's minivan, so she bought a little folding stool for me.
:froggies:

You also might want to look into a raised toilet seat -- that was such a help during my recovery from getting the spacer put in. I also put grabbers ALL over my house so I would not be tempted to reach down and pick stuff up during the restriction period.

Time to get this hip show on the road.:happydance:
I know I tried very hard to tamp down pre-op nerves with feelings of excitement that this surgery would give me a new lease on life.
It certainly has.:egypdance:
See you on the healing side.:yes:

All the best tomorrow, chrisl
We'll be thinking of you and looking forward to your recovery thread.
Wishing you comfort as you await your big day.
@chrisl

Hi @chrisl Best wishes for tomorrow and also for a great recovery. I'm only 7 days behind you!

Good luck tomorrow! Or maybe today? I’m right behind you. One week to go for me. Can’t wait to hear how it goes for you.

Sending prayers for a successful surgery to get you on the healing road to recovery. You’ll do great! See you on the recovery side soon!❤️

Hi, @chrisl, you are in surgery today, hope it goes well! I remember that first time it was like jumping off a cliff with no firm idea as to whether I'd safely land! Sure, intellectually you know things will get better but emotionally--oh, wow--it was such a terrifying leap of faith! Best of luck to you.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
corvettejanie
Recent bookmarks
Back