THR Thanks for this Forum

Datman

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi, just like to say thank you to the Admins for this forum. So much useful information available.
I’m 5 weeks ( 12th April) after a right THR and it’s nice to check progress with others. I’m doing better than I expected. Now off meds and all walking aids. Doing around a mile a day and 10 minutes gentle pedalling on an exercise bike. Using stairs normally too. Sleeping is the only issue, apart from tender incision site. Still using the raised furniture/bed/toilet accessories. Looking forward to driving again at the end of this week, though.

Fantastic effort. I second your thanks for this forum. It was a godsend for me.

Hi, :wave:
Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us and for your kind words in regard to the forum.
The support and encouragement found here is priceless. I hope you'll stop back often as you continue on your healing journey. We'd love to follow your progress and its inspirational for those following behind you to read updates.

Following are the Recovery Guidelines which may still be beneficial to you.
Hope to see you again soon. Have a great Sunday!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. Datman

Last edited:
Thank you, Layla

Hi @Datman
You are so right this forum is amazing.. it has helped with both my THR’s.

You seem to be doing well for 5 weeks post op... sleeping does get better.. eventually!!

I’m 8 weeks post op & find I can now sit on any chair & be comfy... but the raised loo seat is still a must...but my hip is fabulous.. no pain at all now& I can walk unaided for most of the time... until I get weary!

Hoping your recovery continues to go well..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:wave:Glad to have you sharing your recovery journey on the forum.
I was also very grateful for the advice I received from those who had actually walked this journey.
First hand experience makes Bonesmart an invaluable resource, in my opinion.
Each recovery is different, as we all are different, so listen to your body and it will tell you how to proceed.
Hope today is a good day!:) :-) (:

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

Yes.
Back on pain meds morning and night. The incision site is painful as it’s healing inside, so taking the meds to take the edge off.

Visit to the Hospital today to see the physios. They’re happy with my mobility, swapped my crutches for a walking stick, just to be carried ‘in case’ and gave me the ok to drive again. Happy days.

Great update...nice to get some independence back.:driver:

Hope all continues to get better and better @Datman :egypdance:

Your sleep issues will fade with time. It's all a part of this recovery. Nap during the day if you can. Be sure to take pain medication at night if you need it. Sleep = healing.

:sleeep: Glad you are getting some rest.
It was quite some time before my sleep cycle got sorted also..:bored:
Hope today is a Good Day!:ok:

Yay for sleep, sure helps you have a better outlook.
With any luck you can continue to build on that. You're on your way. :happydance:
Hope you're having a great Sunday. :)
@Datman

7 week anniversary today. Progress is great. No meds. Sleeping much better, and in any position I want. Stopped using walking aids. 15 mins on the exercise bike each day and a mile and a half walk. Losing weight, after 3 years of no exercise because of the hip pain. Op site still tender as it’s healing, which is to be expected. So all good. Thanks fo the support and information on here.

Happy Seven Week Anniversary!
Couldn't read a more positive update. All awesome news. I'm happy you're doing so well.
And just think...it's going to get even better! :happydance:
Have a great weekend and stay in touch.
@Datman

So happy for you....& so looking forward to 7 weeks post op!!

So great to read this! And so encouraging for those of us following in your footsteps!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom